Backpack for multi-day ski touring

Any recs? Need to replace my 1994 Gregory Palisade. Have a single-day pack, need something for longer trips.

Looking for something:

- 55-70 L
    - Can carry skis if necessary
    - Solid suspension/frame for heavy loads
    - Wears well while skiing
    - Light for summer backpacking too would be ideal

I hear the Osprey Aether is pretty nice...but don't know any others.

I'm a big fan of the dakine guide
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

whatever McHale makes. I bought a large Mountain Hardware. I liked the way their 50L pack fit. I can find no love for their larger pack. I also think there are much better 50L packs out there. The shape of the outer pocket does not really hold my avie gear well. Lots of packs be interesting to here what people like.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    whatever McHale makes
    More specifically, McHale Little Big Pack. Mine is in uberlightweight Spectra, serves as my multi-day ski touring pack, up to mountaineering (with gear) pack up to 4 days and backpacking pack to week+

CCW Chaos

I've been quite happily using a cilogear 30:30 and a worksack 60L. They can be really slow to ship sometimes, but make a nice product.

I don't have much experience with many other larger packs (apart from heavy dedicated backpacking packs that I wouldn't want to ski with), but I'm digging the Osprey Variant 52 for this purpose. Priced well too.

McHale=put your money where your heart is, or if you have some disposable $, by all means. I have yet to lay my sausages on a McHale, but internet pron has been enough to put one of his packs on my list. WTF, might as well fly out and get fitted in the PNW....wait until there's snow!

For arguably a quarter the price is Alpine Threadworks and CCW. These would be semi-bespoke (unless you want to fly to Calgary or the EC). I just recently received an AT Selkirk 35L....not sure of it's multi-day capacity, but depending on gear it's possible. A 45L would probably do the trick. CCW is another NA-made pack on my list, but yet to see firsthand.

I would put my $ down with these 3 depending on where you stand financially. IMO, McHale requires a ski trip and measuring for the $ outlay and leaving the PNW with a custom mf-ing pack, booyeah! The other 2 just require some emails and measuring. I hope to make some BIG $ someday, until then the Selkirk will be my best $ spent since a furberg.
    Last edited by permnation; 03-30-2015 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    I don't have much experience with many other larger packs (apart from heavy dedicated backpacking packs that I wouldn't want to ski with), but I'm digging the Osprey Variant 52 for this purpose. Priced well too.
    x2. I have an Exposure 50 and it's been great. If I was buying today, I'd definitely be looking at Alpine Threadworks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I do not think 50L is enough room for a week ski trip. I was looking at info on Alaska Wilderness classic gear lists. I see the golite pinnacle and Ospery Evos at 58L being used. Not familiar with either.
    that chaos is a large pack for no frame. Have you carried any loads in it? How did it perform? Worksack is pricey almost feel the need to buy the largest size so you don't have to buy a quiver.
    Last edited by BFD; 03-31-2015 at 12:27 AM.
    off your knees Louie

I use a mchale, about 37l, then I added a large lid from luke's ultraLight, then I had zpacks make two cuben dry bags, that I strap on each side, using the compression straps on the pack.

Tent (tarptent )strapped to the bottom of the pack.

This holds ajj the gear and food for a 8 day ski traverse, and weighs 42 lbs including food.
    Then if I see a nice couloir to ski, I take the tent and the two drybags off, and I have a tight, light backpack.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I do not think 50L is enough room for a week ski trip. I was looking at info on Alaska Wilderness classic gear lists. I see the golite pinnacle and Ospery Evos at 58L being used. Not familiar with either.
    that chaos is a large pack for no frame. Have you carried any loads in it? How did it perform? Worksack is pricey almost feel the need to buy the largest size so you don't have to buy a quiver.
    The chaos carries large loads great. Surprisingly so. I carried 3 nights of camping gear, skis/boots and ice axe/ropes/protection 15+ miles a few years ago and it worked significantly better at it than my Cilogear 45L(with HDPE framesheet and aluminum stay). Here are pictures of it loaded up. http://www.coloradobackyard.com/2012...rch-day-2.html

It also works well slimmed down, but not quite as nice as my Cilogear or other smaller packs. The biggest issue with using it with nothing in it is the long straps.

Thanks for all the recs people. I don't know how folks get away with the 50L bags for longer trips (4+ days), but I guess my old pack (around 80L) allowed me to be lazy and overpack.

The CCW Chaos, CiloGear 60L WorkSack, and Alpine Threadworks Selkirk rigs look pretty awesome. I don't want to spend all my time dicking around with my pack to get it dialed - and I definitely don't need a high-end custom rig (McHale). But these packs look to be adaptable and extendable for multiple days, while still allowing for decent skiability.

LS, how does the Worksack 60 ski? Both fully loaded and for summit forays when used as a daypack? The ability to strip the pack down quickly and easily for summits is attractive. The 45 Ski looks like it might be an even better fit...http://www.cilogear.com/45zski.html

Here's some more info for future searchers: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ineering/page2
    Last edited by meter-man; 04-02-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I use a mchale, about 37l, then I added a large lid from luke's ultraLight, then I had zpacks make two cuben dry bags, that I strap on each side, using the compression straps on the pack. Tent (tarptent )strapped to the bottom of the pack.
    Sounds awesome, I was thinking of doing something along those lines with my Blackjack (which also needs a hydration bag pouch tacked to the inside). Happen to have any photos of the setup? What size are the cuben dry bags?

Yeah, I've used my 50L on a seven day summer trip in the Sierra. And four day ski mountaineering trip--ropes, light rock rack, screws, tools, pons, avy gear, etc. For a longer winter trip with the same gear, I'd need something bigger. Without the rope, rack, screws, and tools, I probably could have stretched it another day or two.

So... don't take shit you don't need? Of course, this is in CA. So a zero degree bag, not -40. Weather is usually nice, so 'mid and not mountaineering tent. No overboots. Etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.