K2 Coomback new 114mm to wide for skitouring?

Hi,

I'm looking for a new setup with lighter skis and bindings for skitouring trips with length 4-5hours.
    Current setup is K2 SideStash 107mm with Marker Pro Tour F12 which i feel is to heavy setup. Skis abut 2100grams each and bindings 1100grams each.

Anyone have experience with the new K2 Coomback 114? Will it be to wide for skitouring?
    My plan is to pair these with Fritsci Diamir Vipec 12 bindings. Skis about 1850grams and bindings about 530 grams.

Anyone have experience with these skis/bindings that, thumbs up or down?

Ski: http://k2skis.com/skis/coomback-114
    Binding: https://www.wildsnow.com/14680/diami...ges-2014-2015/

My tours tends to involve quite som crust, hardpack and occasionally som ice - both going up and down. Thats just how it is in Norway when you are going to areas to reach some pow which is the goal.So, thats why Im wondering if 114 will be to wide on the crust/hardpack as you need to be able to use the edges to get grip downwards.
    Currently on Sidestash 107 which is both stiff enough on the various conditions and gives me reasonable good float in pow.
    Maybe looking for a ski around 110width is a better option?

Quote Originally Posted by Fre_ZZe View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for a new setup with lighter skis and bindings for skitouring trips with length 4-5hours.
    Current setup is K2 SideStash 107mm with Marker Pro Tour F12 which i feel is to heavy setup. Skis abut 2100grams each and bindings 1100grams each.

Anyone have experience with the new K2 Coomback 114? Will it be to wide for skitouring?
    My plan is to pair these with Fritsci Diamir Vipec 12 bindings. Skis about 1850grams and bindings about 530 grams.

Anyone have experience with these skis/bindings that, thumbs up or down?

Ski: http://k2skis.com/skis/coomback-114
    Binding: https://www.wildsnow.com/14680/diami...ges-2014-2015/

My tours tends to involve quite som crust, hardpack and occasionally som ice - both going up and down. Thats just how it is in Norway when you are going to areas to reach some pow which is the goal.So, thats why Im wondering if 114 will be to wide on the crust/hardpack as you need to be able to use the edges to get grip downwards.
    Currently on Sidestash 107 which is both stiff enough on the various conditions and gives me reasonable good float in pow.
    Maybe looking for a ski around 110width is a better option?
    What you want is a coomback 104. I have them mounted with dynafit radical ft and I ski in the Alps 95% of the time. 114 is indeed too wide IMHO.
    The beatings will continue until morale will improve.

Do you think it's too wide for skinning or for skiing?

And I don't know a soul who has been psyched about the Vipecs.

You haven't said a word about length
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

I have a pair of K2 Backdrops (were essentially a 112mm version of old Coomback)... I would not want to ski those on hard pack at all. They don't edge well and are pretty floppy.

I might want a ski that wide if I was always hitting good powder, but with a mix of ice and crust I don't see the point of that much ski and that much weight. Also save more weight and get better touring with dynafit bindings?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by milestogo View Post
    And I don't know a soul who has been psyched about the Vipecs.
    I really like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I have a pair of K2s. They don't edge well and are pretty floppy.
    FIFY*

For a dedicated touring ski, I would not want to go much wider than 104. With refined rocker and tip shapes you can have a 100-105mm ski floating pretty darn well. They are a lot nicer on the skin track and anytime you need to ski something firm and steep, over exposure.

Now, I think 114ish is a good width for a ski that is a resort powder ski you will take for short tours out of the resort.

*The current crop is actually pretty good. (Annex 117, Shredditor 112, 102)

Thanks a lot, some great answers. I think I've concluded that the 114 will be to wide. As said with some rocker and tip shaped I will have enough float.

So any recommendations when in the 100-110mm range? I need a rather stiff ski since iam almost 100kg and 190cm height. Looking for a ski in the 182-188cm lengths.
    Urgh..the Coomback 104 is not easy to find in Norway atm.

Cheese!

BD Carbon Convert (or the non-carbon Convert) seems to be reviewed very well for this sort of purpose. I'm touring with G3 Manhattans (108mm) but they're a little bit heavy even with Dynafits. That said they ski very well.

Urgh..the Coomback 104 is not easy to find in Norway atm.
    Forget the Coomback....
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Forget the Coomback....
    Well the 104 Coomback is still an option.
    The 114 is already buried.

Well the 104 Coomback is still an option.
    Far better skis are out there.. unless you're getting them for near free?

Ok, I have a good deal on Coomback but any tips on better ones?
    The bd Carbon is expensive here.. But still i might be able to get a deal on them... Any other tips?

I like the Cham HM series. Know lots of others who do too. They can be had for cheap. a 97 or 107 would do what you want better than the K2s IMO.

Down 102? Black Crow Navis or Camox, DPS 99 or 105 hybrid?

Cheese!
    What kind of cheese? Will there be crackers and salami too?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I went to a Dynafit Grand Teton this season, and just spent 5 days at a WY yurt. I was very happy with them both on the up, and the down. The light weight dynafit skin was pretty nice too, but became full the glue doesn't stick well if it gets much snow and ice it (my fault for not being careful on transitions.)

BTW You missed a great trip Rob.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    BTW You missed a great trip Rob.
    Aaaaaaghhhh.

TR? Via email is fine.

I should've gone. Not enough (any) trips this winter.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    I like the Cham HM series. Know lots of others who do too. They can be had for cheap. a 97 or 107 would do what you want better than the K2s IMO.

Down 102? Black Crow Navis or Camox, DPS 99 or 105 hybrid?
    This.

Might through the Blizzard Kabookie in there if looking at DPS hybrid.

I have the Dynafit Stoke (same as the Grand Teton basically), which is a great all-rounder, but I just spent 7 days touring on my new Katana V-werks with Kingpins, and will gladly put up with the extra 180 grams per foot any time and anywhere. The Katanas at 112mm wide are not at all too wide for touring, and handle everything with aplomb.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by SkreeDaProw View Post
    I really like mine.
    Cool--I really like the idea of them, but all the people I know that got them went back to dynafit. Good to know they've got some love

I've skied both the Down 102 and the 102L a bunch. The construction is vastly superior to anything from K2, unless the latest from K2 is a massive upgrade on the old. The 102's shape is far from traditional- long turn radius, a lot of low rocker. But it is a very capable ski in the hands of a balanced skier. Both version outperform one's expectations given their weight.

Another good ski is the G3 Zen Oxide 105. Not Sure how available they are out your way. Solid flex, light, good, more traditional all around design. I haven't used the new carbon version, but the older design was similar to the original Coomback, but skied better in everything but untracked powder, despite being lighter. Only complaint I've heard about the carbon version is that some people find them too stiff.

Voile also makes some solid skis at very good prices. I have no idea about their Euro-distribution however.

I did not like the Stoke much when I rented a pair. I'd rather ski Coombacks.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    FIFY*

Now, I think 114ish is a good width for a ski that is a resort powder ski you will take for short tours out of the resort. 102)
    This is primarily what I use my 114 Coombacks for. The 104's would seem ideal for your purposes. Not sure about the floppyness. Never found this to be the case with the Coombacks. They are damp but retain lots of pop. Excellent torsional rigidity. Relatively lightweight. Great all around performer. I also like the fact that this years models come in the 177 length. K2's measure long but nonetheless, their 177 is pretty much a sweet spot for me in terms of lengh.