Road Trip - Big Sky or LCC?

I have a window to leave town for some turns next week. Was originally thinking Alta/Bird/Solitude, but then Big Sky got that nice storm. Have always wanted to check that area out, terrain looks pretty sick. Have about 3 days to ski with 2 for travel.

So any advice between the two, better conditions in MT or UT? Both claiming about the same base.

Best places to stay in or near BS on a modest budget? Discounted lift tics with another season pass?

I got UT pretty dialed if I decide to go there.

Drive time is not a huge factor, but don't really want to go further than MT, although I could ski free in some CO resorts from my Tahoe Local pass, barely used this year.

Is postponing till next year an option?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

UT is not so great right now, and gonna be much less great after this weekend's heat wave. In fact we're on track for the lowest snowfall totals since they've been recording it.

Interestingly enough onthesnow reports Alta is in the top ten right now for deepest base depths. 77" at the bottom. Even in a shitty year it ain't all that bad. Spring skiing. Firm in the am soft in the pm. Aspect skiing.

Have a good trip

Have you looked at the UT forecast? I brought my family down from JH yesterday to feel the 77* , (forecasted), temps in the city. Might be different by next week but this wknd isn't gonna help out the skiing 'round here!

Bucks T4 has pretty good deals on lift/lodging in Big Sky. Down at the bottom of the hill from the resort but it has a nice bar/restaurant right in it and nice rooms etx. Seems like to go to for what you are doing.

I have the same plan coming from the other way next week except I'm limiting myself to Colorado with only one travel day each way. This heat wave is a bummer but the forecast moderated a shitload over night and things will cool off early next week sooner than they were saying yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Bucks T4 has pretty good deals on lift/lodging in Big Sky. Down at the bottom of the hill from the resort but it has a nice bar/restaurant right in it and nice rooms etx. Seems like to go to for what you are doing.

I have the same plan coming from the other way next week except I'm limiting myself to Colorado with only one travel day each way. This heat wave is a bummer but the forecast moderated a shitload over night and things will cool off early next week sooner than they were saying yesterday.

Stayed At Bucks earlier this year and it was pretty good value. Decent breakfast which always helps, free shuttle to Big Sky if you don't want the drive. Restaurant as mentioned decent, often need to book as it gets full - great indication and reasonably priced.
    Find a Path That Captures Your Heart and Follow it to its End !!

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Best places to stay in or near BS on a modest budget?
    PM AustinFromSA on here. He owns some condos in Big Sky that he rents out.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Conditions are all relative.

Sierras are the new Sahara
    Wasatch is the new Sierra
    Rockies/Tetons are the new Wasatch..

I made a reservation at Bucks T4. If the spring conditions are good, I'm a happy camper.

If nothing else, its fun to see new places..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1427566852.571423.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	741.3 KB 
ID:	165694

Alta sure was good on Wednesday. Despite their lowest snow totals ever it is skiing surprisingly well...

Main chute was nice today. Cold temps on tap for next week. Won't get much daytime softening and only potential dusting's of snow.

Reno? Seems like Utah is closer to you, but wasn't the essence of your question pertaining to Road Trip?? Montana is right on my east coast to Seattle then Alaska migration route. It's a great state for road trippin' if u stay off the beaten path...and there are less beaten paths in Montana, anyway. Great little villages and one-horse towns dot the map, cheap lodging if you have radar for eclectic little mom&pop motels and inns.

But two days barely qualifies as a road trip in my book...I take weeks before getting to whatever destination. You should read 'Travels with Charley' by John Steinbeck ...an excellent primer on the essence of road tripping. Load up on some GD, Portishead, maybe Modest Mouse....bring along Edward Abbey's 'Monkeywrench Gang" and maybe a Bill Bryson of two, load up a case of good cabernet for when u car-camp at night next to a river, shanghai your favorite traveling partner and set a general compass course for Montana...but forget the "Two Days". Traveling my style, it will take you that long just to get out of Nevada.

Oh...and don't forget the skins. Plenty of good skin tracks between there and there.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."