Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm no leg-shaver but I'm familiar with Missoula CX course layouts and BB height wouldn't matter one whit here. Also the BB height issue (for barriers) is not my invention, it's what some racer-geeks told me. So blame them.

Besides, OP didn't ask for a CX race bike did he?

Eh, there are some places where a taller BB might let you go through a corner pedaling but I doubt that makes a difference for the average guy anyway. I know I could be cornering faster without having to worry about my bb height.

Just go buy a bike that you think is cool and go ride it.

Creaky is rarely wrong on the internet, but when he is, it's someone else's misinformation.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Creaky is rarely wrong on the internet, but when he is, it's someone else's misinformation.
    to quote your hero,

YOU'RE AN IDIOT! MY TRUST FUND MAKES ME ALWAYS CORRECT!

satire is hard, isn't it? is it illegal in Boise, or something?

please struggle with your preconceptions about me, especially when they turn out to be wrong. you know -- like directly above!

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    I'm no leg-shaver but I'm familiar with Missoula CX course layouts and BB height wouldn't matter one whit here. Also the BB height issue (for barriers) is not my invention, it's what some racer-geeks told me. So blame them.

Hang on a sec...^^^^ this is satire?

You're right, it is hard.

I don't have heroes.

Given the laws our legislators are passing here this session, I wouldn't be surprised to see satire become illegal soon.

I have no preconceptions regarding you nor any struggles. You're an internet persona that I give two sheep turds about. I'd be interested to know more about you in real life, you seem like an interesting cat. Hard to hide behind a veil of anonymity if you ever gave a glimpse though.

And to answer the OPs original question from my perspective. I like the looks of the new "gravel" bikes. I've owned a couple of CX race level bikes to do what you're talking about, some road commuting, some gravel roads, and a little trail. I'm also about your size in the weight dept. I thought the CX bike was okay but I would have liked to put fenders on them, some wider tires and I thought the bikes were a little twitchy and steep for what I was using them for. I think a little more relaxed geo with some attachment points for fenders and some gear would be cool. I'm actually looking at bikes in this new category as I live a few hundred yards from gravel roads that could take me all over the place on overnight trips that I'm not sure I would want to do on a CX bike.

So much great info here on CX and Gravel Bikes.

The Radivist

I recently got a Giant TCX Advanced Pro 1. It's been amazeballs so far. I suck at cross, so I won't use that as my baseline, but I put about 1000 miles on it this spring, and it's been amazing on the road and gravel. It has a tight cockpit, but otherwise I can ride on it for 70+ and feel the same as if I were on my road bike.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...

I traded in my road bike a few years ago and now ride a Jamis Nova team carbon with disc's. Gravel rides, grand fondo's, 100 mile road rides and some single track. One of the most versatile bikes I have ever owned, weighs in under 17 lbs and I can race CX when I want. Buy extra wheel sets and swap for what ever day or surface you decide to ride. I now have 3 CX bikes just for the all around use they can be used for. Planet Bike sells fender mounts for disc bikes, on and off in under 5 mins.

No, I'm not that masochistic. More like a bit of a pussy. I even like chairlifts summer and winter.

Decision time is coming up and the plan is crystallizing.

Hoping to do ~20 days Ireland-UK-France in May at 100+ miles/day. I think the Search is looking might fine since my ass will need to be reassembled by the end of it.

Also came across the Cervelo R2....cracking deal at $2500US with 105 for anyone looking for a new road only.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Sounds like you want a cross bike to me. Plus one on the warbird. Mine is sick tities.
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    We don't make those skis specifically for Andy, but we make them specifically for kick-ass skiers like Andy who use them in freeride comps and the everyday comp where they compete against themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by cptpowder View Post
    Sounds like you want a cross bike to me. Plus one on the warbird. Mine is sick tities.
    To each his own, but that doesn't look like a 100+ mile/day ride to me.

I was going to tell the OP to stop being a pussy and just ride the dirt/gravel sections with a plain old road bike, but thursday evening I took a wrong turn and ended up descending some steep & deep gravel on 23 mm tires. Wasn't fun. So never mind.

CX geometries are changing, so don't just assume that all CX bikes have a high bottom bracket. The story I always heard was that the high BB is a leftover from the toe clip days, when you needed a high BB to keep from hitting the clips on a remount. CX is pretty traditional, so it takes a while for basic things like frame geometries to change (particularly with Euro brands). My Stevens Carbon Team (CX race bike) has a BB drop of 70mm, which is about the same as you'd get with a "classic road race geometry" bike of similar size. For comparison a Ridley X-Fire (more traditional design) has a BB drop of 61mm. With road tires my Stevens handles almost the same as my road bike, maybe a little slower in corners due to the reduced HA. The main difference is gearing, I have it set up as a 1x and the top gear is a 40x12 - fine for CX but easy to spin out on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Hang on a sec...^^^^ this is satire?

You're right, it is hard.
    joey tries hard, joey fails, but remains smugly superior in the end. cool does, brozie. very cool does. but uncool bucks. INDUSTRY INSIDER!

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I don't have heroes.

Given the laws our legislators are passing here this session, I wouldn't be surprised to see satire become illegal soon.

I have no preconceptions regarding you nor any struggles. You're an internet persona that I give two sheep turds about. I'd be interested to know more about you in real life, you seem like an interesting cat. Hard to hide behind a veil of anonymity if you ever gave a glimpse though.
    how'd you get so ego-wounded and so desperate to know The Real Me? you could always ask joey or kevvie or wendy, they seem to think they know The Real Me.

kevvie: "YOU'RE AN IDIOT!"
    joey: "YOU CAN'T DO SATIRE IF IT DOES NOT AGREE WITH MY BIASES! ALSO YOU ARE AN IDIOT LIKE WOO SAID!"
    wendy: "YOU ARE A MISOGYNIST WHO HAS RAPE FANTASIES!"

this is TGR at its best, protecting the brittle egos of the chosen heroes. pardon me while I try to locate this month's trust fund disbursement, so I can fly to some far-flung locale to do a review with Jonny Ellsworth about some shitty new badass ski that I will describe inaccurately but pompously. FOR THE WIN!

joey tries hard, joey fails, but remains smugly superior in the end. cool does, brozie. very cool does. but uncool bucks. INDUSTRY INSIDER!

joey: "YOU CAN'T DO SATIRE IF IT DOES NOT AGREE WITH MY BIASES! ALSO YOU ARE AN IDIOT LIKE WOO SAID!"
    Counselor, please answer the question.

What in that statement was satire? Are Missoula CX courses actually notorious for off-camber 180 turns in which BB height might be an issue? If so, you are indeed a genius in the realm of internet forum satire.

Color me amused!

Quote Originally Posted by uncle creepy

..........I know, I know...........there there

It'll be okay.

Just find your ritalin and things will happen in a straight line again.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Just find your ritalin and things will happen in a straight line again.
    So do I need a high bottom bracket for that or not? I'm confused now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    CX geometries are changing, so don't just assume that all CX bikes have a high bottom bracket. The story I always heard was that the high BB is a leftover from the toe clip days, when you needed a high BB to keep from hitting the clips on a remount. CX is pretty traditional, so it takes a while for basic things like frame geometries to change (particularly with Euro brands).
    Adam Myerson told me (on the internets) the same thing about high BBs and leftover from the toe clip days, a number of years ago.

I forget who speculated about whether the hardcore would make fun of you for showing up w/o a 16 lb race bike, but most CX race communities that I saw were pretty welcoming to noobs with whatever random jury-rigged setup. I started racing on an old Miyata touring bike. Recognize that this is irrelevant to the OP's desires.

this is TGR at its best, protecting the brittle egos of the chosen heroes. pardon me while I try to locate this month's trust fund disbursement, so I can fly to some far-flung locale to do a review with Jonny Ellsworth about some shitty new badass ski that I will describe inaccurately but pompously. FOR THE WIN!
    This post made me miss Hugh Conway.

Decision has been made!

Norco Search XR 58cm.
    £2300 retail
    -£250 for their trade in offer.....I spent 20 on this thing but than had to get it back to my buddies place so I attached it to the rack on the public bike like this.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1429367926.308288.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	942.2 KB 
ID:	166282
    +Conti GP 4000's x28c £60 for the pair.
    -£350 VAT (tax) because I'm leaving the EU within 90 days.
    =new bike with new tires (after losing a few % on the credit card forex fee) for $3200 Canadian....not bad for a bike that has a CAD $4700 retail. Stoked!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1429368219.521959.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	763.4 KB 
ID:	166283
    Sorry it's not the red one......
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Happy?

Are you happy with your decision? How tall are you? I'm thinking about buying a Search XR as well.

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    Decision has been made!

Norco Search XR 58cm.
    £2300 retail
    -£250 for their trade in offer.....I spent 20 on this thing but than had to get it back to my buddies place so I attached it to the rack on the public bike like this.....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1429367926.308288.jpg 
Views:	338 
Size:	942.2 KB 
ID:	166282
    +Conti GP 4000's x28c £60 for the pair.
    -£350 VAT (tax) because I'm leaving the EU within 90 days.
    =new bike with new tires (after losing a few % on the credit card forex fee) for $3200 Canadian....not bad for a bike that has a CAD $4700 retail. Stoked!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1429368219.521959.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	763.4 KB 
ID:	166283
    Sorry it's not the red one......

^ looks good!

Is it just me or the bars pointing up a little though?

I've learned from reading this thread that grown men say things like "amazeballs" and "sick titties."

Nice bike!

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    ^ looks good!

Is it just me or the bars pointing up a little though?
    Based on where the hoods/levers are it looks about right. With newer ergo bend bars the drops won't be level to the ground.

^ looks like the hoods are a little too high up. Should be nice and horizontal so you can rest your hands nicely...