Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Trends in Rocker

Does anyone else feel like skis have been engineered in a way to be less confidence inspiring (at least in firmer conditions), than their predecessors? Do you think too many people out there are on skis with too much rocker for the conditions they are skiing?

For example, I skied on the old cambered gotamas and the the Line Influece 105 for years. Loved both skis. Especially the Influence 105. I generally like the "don't give a shit" approach to firm/set up snow. I like to ski it hard. Just picked up the Supernatural 108. Now...I got this as a quiver-of-one type ski (just like the skis before it). However, I don't think it's as good on firmer/setup snow. It's very respectable, don't get me wrong. However, I think the Influence 105, which was created 5 years earlier, is much better. Let's be honest, most of us spend a fair amount of time in these conditions. The Supernatural 108 does handle the weird softer variable very well. However, I like having a ski that can be a damp performer on firm, bumpy and set up. For me, I think that requires having a lot of edge on the snow. Maybe I'm losing my mind? Maybe I'm just adjusting to a new ski?

I find that many modern rockered skis which are flat-cambered underfoot (Mantra, Cochise, etc) tend to be a little squirrely when you run them flat on groomers. This uneasy sensation goes away immediately when I put the ski on edge.

Id agree with that , with that said skis like a Bonafide, New enforcer and even the mantra(when up on edge, not flat) all do really well on hardpack IMO.

Wait...

Hold on....

Wide, rockered skis don't do well on hardpack unless they are on edge?

Holy shit.

Duh. If you only have 60cm of effective edge on hardpack, its going to be squirrely. I got Rossi Sickles with full rocker, but its subtle. As soon as they're edge, they engage tip to tail and fucking rail.

Trends in Rocker

I think there are a lot of different skis and a lot of different skier types and skiers should ski what works for them. Gear Swap is your friend. I happened to ski a rockered tip tail ski that I would argue hammers on hard pack and I think shape and camber has a shit ton to do with it. That and what works for me. Trends are all over the map. ... But yeah 105mm+ rockered skis aren't necessary engineered for hard pack hot laps.
    Uno mas

angulation + proper length ski for your weight = no problem on firm with Bonafide/Mantra class of skis

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

watch out for snakes

I would say that MOST skiers are on skis that are too wide and too rockered for typical resort conditions.
    Just watch from the lifts. Gorilla stance, skiddy tails, tips flapping all over the place,..
    Last edited by DropCliffsNotBombs; 03-30-2015 at 06:03 PM.

I see a lot of folks on rockered skis that don't really use them much maybe buying a pow ski does not instantly make a pow skier?

The most prolific rockered ski hereabouts would probably be the JJ, the local dealer had to give them away end of season 5 yrs ago but finaly people are upgrading, buddy has to eat so thats good and I still got those JJ's for rock touring but just give me lots of early rise ... definatley over the full rocker thing
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Soft skis with rocker definitely have their place, but skis with gobs of metal and camber are completely underrated. It's why I'll always have some older skis in the quiver.

My volkl katanas have full rocker, both the metal and the carbon ones.

They ski well, both on ice and powder.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    My volkl katanas have full rocker, both the metal and the carbon ones.

They ski well, both on ice and powder.
    stiffness and edge angle can mke a full rockered skis fine on hardpack.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    stiffness and edge angle can mke a full rockered skis fine on hardpack.
    Do you mean fine like they're passable or fine like they rail like a Stockli XXL or something similar?

Yeah rocker is a blessing and a curse. Scott P4, still the best if you actually know how to load a ski.

I too have gone back to a more traditional ski with less rocker. I like more edge. I like camber.
    RR/full rocker skis have their place but are a trade off. Great pow performance not so great everywhere else. I prefer a solid all arounder. I believe you should be able to make any ski work if you actually know how to ski. Angulation is still where its at IMHO.

The rocker on the vwerks katana is really slight, and they rail on groomers, better than my bonafides, which may not be saying a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Do you mean fine like they're passable or fine like they rail like a Stockli XXL or something similar?
    somewhere in between......

They make a lot of shitty skis for shitty skiers
    I'm looking at you, Nordica. Soft floppy tails
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hmm, I would put the Patron, El Capo, and Soul Rider in the top three-five for their perspective categories. But who knows, maybe I'm a shitty skier?

(I;m 5'10", 200lb)
    Last edited by XavierD; 03-31-2015 at 12:23 PM.

It's probably me with my 200lbs and lack of finesse, but I like a strong tail. I like to drive the ski. I like to be able to recover when I get in the backseat by pushing off my tails. I would really like a ski like that without a twin and with less tail rocker/flop.
    Then again, I've never skied them. They might be great.
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Chiming in with +1 on the Wrenegade shape. Early rise tip, camber through tail, flat or twin. I like a solid tail. And just a touch of nose rocker.

I've never been on a narrower full rocker ski, but getting a 125mm+ waist angulated on a regular basis is a PITA, IMO. Full r/r makes it even more work. Unless I'm skiing BC, I definitely prefer a more traditional camber in the back 3/4 of ski to enjoy the runout and lower parts of the hill.

They make a lot of shitty skis for shitty skiers
    I'm looking at you, Nordica. Soft floppy tails
    em I would not group the El capo or the new Enforcer in with that and Patron suck at charigng though crud(no mass soft rockered tail lots of deflection) but in powder they are silly quick and nimble for woods skiing, and rock on smoother groomers.

You can absolutely produce angles and Patrons on hardpack though. I must suck though.....

with soft tail it just means you can not tail gun, or you will wheelie out.

The soul riders again give tons of energy out of carved groom turn, and shred skied out woods.

the thing is I owuld choose neither of those skis for "charging". although both hook up pretty easily on hardpack. The Enforcer if you can get past the tight sidecut is a better a Bonafide. Can not wait to own my 185s

It's probably me with my 200lbs and lack of finesse, but I like a strong tail. I like to drive the ski. I like to spend a lot of time in the backseat, pushing off my tails. I would really like a ski like that without a twin and with less tail rocker/flop.
    Then again, I've never skied them. They might be great.
    fixed for you, e-athlete

always "drive the ski" from your heels. always. it's what makes a true Core Honch Maggot e-skier.