Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Goddammit, more Californians moving to the PNW!

Yep, I’m afraid so. My company got bought by one headquartered in Seattle. Although, I could work at either the South SF or Seattle location, it makes most sense for me to be up there. That and our landlords are selling their place so we are facing a doubling of our rent if we stay in the Bay Area. So the whole Lego clan (me, divegirl and the mini-magette) are moving up there at the end of May. Will be working in Eastlake (one block from Colonnade!) and living in a temporary place while we look for a house. Anybody got a 2bd furnished place for rent month-to-month? We’ll be looking to buy a place probably anywhere in North Seattle (maybe up in Shoreline) or West Seattle. Look for a ski movie party next fall after we get into a permanent place.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Well, at least you'll get snow up there. Oh wait, maybe not anymore.

Timing is right for another b-day party. Welcome to da 'hood and if there's anything you need, let me know.
    Also, I'd consider Ballard/Crown Hill.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Timing is right for another b-day party. Welcome to da 'hood and if there's anything you need, let me know.
    Also, I'd consider Ballard/Crown Hill.
    X2 on Ballard/ Crown Hill...

...Also, I'd consider Ballard/Crown Hill.
    -1 on Ballard/Crown Hill

You can't get anywhere from there except Downtown. It is tragically, tragically hip. Like Portland Hip.

Kind of like the Bay Area, you should live near your work unless you have a bunch of extra time to waste every day. Bike to work is a really good option here... Fremont/Wallingford (the part just up the hill from Gasworks Park) Cap Hill, Montlake and Eastlake proper are all good options for living close to work. Housing here is a bit less than the Bay Area, so you'll avoid the sticker shock that freaks many transplants out. Grab an Eastlake houseboat (on Lake Union) for the coolest thing ever and walk to work! Grab a Portage Bay houseboat and row a boat to work!

www.duckin.com
    Last edited by jfost; 03-28-2015 at 01:30 PM.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

ballard' fun if you're young and got big $$$ to buy in the area but one way in/out makes life difficult.

prices will look cheap to you but they're high as shit to anyone that's been here longer than 12 months.

I live in and enjoy west seattle, but I don't think a commute to eastlake would be overly enjoyable. I know many at Amazon that bus in to SLU but even that aint a short trip.

Well, California's going to run out of water in another year or two anyway, then the rush will really be on so you're just ahead of the curve.

If working in Eastlake then to me Queen Anne, Fremont, University, Cap Hill, Montlake, or even Central District make the most sense. W. Seattle is doable but probably not for long with the rate they're stuffing condos in there. The W. Sea bridge is already a mess at commute time and more and more people are going to be using it. Fuck Ballard. Not that it's a bad place, but a total pain in the ass getting in/out.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainview View Post
    Well, California's going to run out of water in another year or two anyway, then the rush will really be on so you're just ahead of the curve.
    Pretty much what I said to Mrs Liv2ski. 2 more years of this drought shit and So Cal will dry out and the exodus to wetter climates will be on. Good for you and your family that your ahead of the curve on this. Enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Don't you worry.

Seattle packed with posers just like the THE bay.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    -1 on Ballard/Crown Hill

You can't get anywhere from there except Downtown. It is tragically, tragically hip. Like Portland Hip.
    Yup - lived in Blue Ridge/North Beach and while it was beautiful (expansive views north up the Sound and buried power lines) it was a nightmare getting out of there. No fast way to the freeway - you have to drive crowded surface streets for miles BUT if you're working in South Lake Union maybe you could deal.

Lived for years on MI - now that is a great location! When you are home it's like you're miles away from the congestion and noise of the big city but if you want to go to DT Seattle or Bellevue you are only 10 minutes or less away. Schools are top notch too.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Don't you worry.

sure, the youngbloods but everyone over 30 is legit. Poseurs are relatively new up here, the "older crowd" is just who they are - nerds, hippies, gangsters just doin their thing in their own space.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Congrats to the Legoskier family!

Goddammit, more Californians moving to the PNW!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Don't you worry.

Do you know Lego or Divegirl? No, not unless you're am alias of a long time maggot. Which means you have no reason to label them posers.

Why don't you do us all the favor of not having to deal with your ignorance, and just shut the fuck up.

Or as used to be said....SPLIT KOOK

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 03-29-2015 at 10:58 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Wishing you and Lindsey a successful move up the West Coast. Happy for you guys as it will be more affordable to raise a family. It's only a quick flight back down here too

-1 for West Seattle. It will take you an era to get out of there to the freeway to get to work. Was working on a jobsite up there, and it was a solid 15-20 minutes from the freeway to the beach. No good way in or out.

Lego and Dive, we'll miss you guys down here. Take the unending sunshine with you though, you'll miss it, but DG will save thousands on sunscreen.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Welcome.

I'll spare you location advice and bring you some caramels when you arrive.

I can't wrap my head around Ballard/Crown Hill being worse than West Seattle or Shoreline or Mercer Island for access to Eastlake but you all go ahead. Lego's a smart guy AND he can read maps.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Welcome.

... and Oftpiste is the realtor of choice around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thanks for the welcome all.
    That's what I was afraid of for West Seattle. I really don't want to spend much more that 30-40 minutes a direction for commute. Although I really liked the vibe around the Alaska junction over there.
    Our budget isn't much ~$500k. From what I have seen so far I think our ideal would be to get a 2bd Craftsman north of the U-district in Ravenna or something like that where I could bike to work. Either that or something near Aurora so I can take that express bus to Southlake and walk the rest of the way. We'll figure it out.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

I can't wrap my head around Ballard/Crown Hill being worse than West Seattle or Shoreline or Mercer Island for access to Eastlake but you all go ahead. Lego's a smart guy AND he can read maps.
    <shrug> My comment was made based on my experience of living in those areas and working downtown but in all things YMMV and I did say that it might not be objectionable if the destination was South Lake Union and not downtown proper. That said I will point out that one of the reasons the commute from Crown HIll/Blue Ridge/Ballard is not that great is the lack of HOV lanes and bus routes that make frequent stops and sometimes get off the mainline to wander through neighborhoods. The MI (Mercer Island) commute via Metro is slick and fast and if you are driving, as a resident of MI you can use the HOV lane even if there is only one person in the car and you can bike across the bridge.

The OP will no doubt find the perfect place for his family that meets all their needs and I'm sure Seattle traffic will hardly phase them a bit seeing as they are from SF.

Welcome to the Evergreen state! Be sure and buy your Seahawks/Mariners gear on the way in!

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    From what I have seen so far I think our ideal would be to get a 2bd Craftsman north of the U-district in Ravenna or something like that where I could bike to work. Either that or something near Aurora so I can take that express bus to Southlake and walk the rest of the way. We'll figure it out.
    I lived in Wedgewood off of 95th and it was great. The neighborhood to the north is very nice too. You are close to the bike path/lake/U district and 99. It was great duty and I really miss it. In particular the wedgewood ale house, sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    ...you should live near your work unless you have a bunch of extra time to waste every day. Bike to work is a really good option here... Fremont/Wallingford (the part just up the hill from Gasworks Park) Cap Hill, Montlake and Eastlake proper are all good options for living close to work. Housing here is a bit less than the Bay Area, so you'll avoid the sticker shock that freaks many transplants out. Grab an Eastlake houseboat (on Lake Union) for the coolest thing ever and walk to work! Grab a Portage Bay houseboat and row a boat to work!
    This is good advice. The less time you spend in your car in SEA the happier you will be, and vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by shroom View Post
    prices will look cheap to you but they're high as shit to anyone that's been here longer than 12 months.
    I see this all the time! People from CA and Vancouver BC think it is dirt cheap while everyone else is blown away by the cost.

I live in the Phinney/Greenwood area and can offer advice on location like anyone else. Check out Maple Leaf. It's nice, a but cheaper than Ravenna I think, not to close to the U-district insanity and is a single bus connection to eastlake

Oh and welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Our budget isn't much ~$500k. From what I have seen so far I think our ideal would be to get a 2bd Craftsman north of the U-district in Ravenna or something like that where I could bike to work. Either that or something near Aurora so I can take that express bus to Southlake and walk the rest of the way. We'll figure it out.
    Good luck getting a house within the city limits on that budget. Greenwood aka Land of No Sidewalks might be your best bet N of downtown.

Car commute in and out of downtown/SLU/Eastlake has gone from bad to fucking awful in the past couple years as SLU continues to grow. You're on the right track with a bicycle. There is a bicycle route from West Seattle to downtown.

Rapid Ride works but is overwhelmed, needs more buses.

Welcome

bike to work from Ravenna/Wegwood is likely a good option. Bus lines run that route pretty regularly too. I did 5 south from shorline/edmonds to UW and wallingford for a year. It fills up by 6:30, clogged by 7:00.
    between 5 and the lake would be my choice.

Unfortunately the current traffic improvement planning seems to involve everything other than adding some much needed lanes to 5/90/405. Expect tolling on all major freeways within the next 5-10 years.