Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Got Phillips Ridge today as well. Was smoother than I thought it would be going down. Nice surprise. Got it right before the thunderstorm rolled in. Still a touch wet, but the dirt/clay ground absorbs the moisture well.

Weather looks like it will be tricky the next few days, really got watch the weather windows. Looks like rain the next four or so days, but in the overall health of the summer, that is a good thing since the winter was weak.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Yeah I never understood why the suggestion route is always going up Poison instead of down it... some of the best corners and braaap'ier spots in the network.
    Poison Creek is the downhill singletrack that never ends or so it feels like. Squaw Creek is a fun downhill as well, just got to be ready for a couple down/short up/down transitions. Tusky Ridge can be a long gradual uphill traverse with a couple technical spots, but It pays off when you go down Poison.

I found a really good FREE smartphone app with that has a lot (not all of them, but a great amount) of trails, go to www.MTBProject.com. It has a GPS on it so you can see where you are on the the trail, reviews, photos, length, elevation, trail layout, etc. I use that app a lot, it nice to know if you are on saddle with another uphill or if it downhill. A nice thing to ride with & plan routes, get an idea of how long the total trails are.

You riding Phillips Ridge from the Arrow trail, or just bottom up until you hit snow? Snotel site says there's still 10" of SWE.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    You riding Phillips Ridge from the Arrow trail, or just bottom up until you hit snow? Snotel site says there's still 10" of SWE.
    We passed four small snow patches. You can walk up or bike through them down. It was good the whole way.

The Tusky Ridge stairway, that spot is a wee tricky, attack it in super low gear. Almost got it a couple days ago until the final diagonal exposed roots got me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1431698755.449247.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	941.1 KB 
ID:	167174

Altaholic did you ride the ridge trail from the Phillips lot? I climbed from fish creek road.

That tusky staircase is a tough one. Just gotta get your taint on the nose of your seat and hammer in the granny! Not sure if I've cleared that one uet
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I'd love to ride the Munger trail system with one of you who knows it. Can show you around the Bigholes when the time comes.

Jackson Conditions 2015

Me & my buddy Bernie did it from Fish Creek, same as you. As for Tusky, I got denied twice before. I told myself to take it up one root at a time, finding the right speed in low gear. Almost greased it, got spun out at the end.

If you do Munger starting with Wally's, it may be rocky, but it is a good technical start, once you hit the Wally bench you have a mix of up & down. Squaw is mainly down, with couple blind turns. Tusky is fairly straightforward, just got the staircase to take slowly, then have fun down Poison. Don't waste your time on Big Munger. If you want to ride Munger hit me, I would love check out some more stuff on your side. I do it in about two hours, with a break or two. There are 3-4 good spots to get a breather or take in the view. I always ride with my bear spray there, it is quiet, I do see animals along the way.

Check out that FREE biking app I talked about earlier, it gives you beta before you hit the trail. It is a GPS, so you know where you are.

Looks like a few days of not biking here with snow & low pressure coming in.
    Last edited by Altaholic; 05-15-2015 at 11:26 PM.

Few Munger shots. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1431756320.078316.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	933.6 KB 
ID:	167229Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1431756343.701011.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	937.5 KB 
ID:	167230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1431756371.775751.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	972.4 KB 
ID:	167231

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post
    Me & my buddy Bernie did it from Fish Creek, same as you. As for Tusky, I got denied twice before. I told myself to take it up one root at a time, finding the right speed in low gear. Almost greased it, got spun out at the end.

If you do Munger starting with Wally's, it may be rocky, but it is a good technical start, once you hit the Wally bench you have a mix of up & down. Squaw is mainly down, with couple blind turns. Tusky is fairly straightforward, just got the staircase to take slowly, then have fun down Poison. Don't waste your time on Big Munger. If you want to ride Munger hit me, I would love check out some more stuff on your side. I do it in about two hours, with a break or two. There are 3-4 good spots to get a breather or take in the view. I always ride with my bear spray there, it is quiet, I do see animals along the way.

Check out that FREE biking app I talked about earlier, it gives you beta before you hit the trail. It is a GPS, so you know where you are.

Thanks. I'll pop you a note when it dries out. I have and use the MTB site, but it's more fun to go with someone who knows it- less dinking around. Copy on the bear spray- been bringing it almost everywhere the last few years.

Have you guys seen this one too? http://www.tetonmtb.com/ Just got bought out by the MBT folks to be added to the http://mountainbiketetons.org/ page, which is badly out of date. Plus there will be a new Adventure Maps map for Teton Valley- out mid-summer- using some of that data and our edits/ text.

Bump to front page status as we are back in business.

Over here in Teton Valley things are finally drying out. Looks like everyone knows that Mill Creek is in primo condition. Colters (in the Targhee terrain) is clear, but has 2 downed trees. Evidently Lightning loop is good to go, but 38 Special might still be snowy/ muddy, same for Peaked Trail.

Aspen trail is good, and the Horseshoe loops are a bit muddy but drying fast. Elk carcass on Cody's had a bear family feeding on it the other day. Heads up!

S Fork of Horseshoe very muddy as of Saturday. Rush Hour and the trail who must not be named are also very good.

First Maintenance Monday is tomorrow, on Channel Lock, at 4. Bring gloves and personal stuff, tools if you have them. MBT will have some tools.

How are things over in the Hole?

Dirt is great in Cache

Everything is riding well over here. Just got back from cache and it was fast and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Bump to front page status as we are back in business.

Over here in Teton Valley things are finally drying out. Looks like everyone knows that Mill Creek is in primo condition. Colters (in the Targhee terrain) is clear, but has 2 downed trees. Evidently Lightning loop is good to go, but 38 Special might still be snowy/ muddy, same for Peaked Trail.

Aspen trail is good, and the Horseshoe loops are a bit muddy but drying fast. Elk carcass on Cody's had a bear family feeding on it the other day. Heads up!

S Fork of Horseshoe very muddy as of Saturday. Rush Hour and the trail who must not be named are also very good.

First Maintenance Monday is tomorrow, on Channel Lock, at 4. Bring gloves and personal stuff, tools if you have them. MBT will have some tools.

How are things over in the Hole?

Can speak for the Pass: Fuzzy's and everything below all riding well, Blacks/Lithium still need that ridge snow to melt though. When I tried Phillips Canyon/Ridge a week or two ago before the sun hit, I was hiking for an hour in the snow in between rideable patches along the ridge before everyting was clear on Phillip's Ridge from the Boy Scout switchbacks on down. Hope this sun knocks all that snow down ASAP!
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433196088.948155.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	782.0 KB 
ID:	167573

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433196124.785018.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	932.0 KB 
ID:	167574

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433196141.743012.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	167575

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433196160.751668.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	962.5 KB 
ID:	167576

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1433196177.111617.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1,003.0 KB 
ID:	167577

Also checked out that new little bike park at 7N Ranch in RIrie on the way back from IF this weekend. Okay pump track, sketchy jump line, and fun little XC loop with some fast, fun benched downhill sections with decent possibly of falling into the creek below. Something different... They do have great dirt to work with so it'll be interesting to see how it goes as they build out and gain some experience.

Ririe, who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post

Rode Munger yesterday. There's 1 downed tree on Wally's world, a huge cluster of them on poison creek (right where you want to get going really fast) and one or two on Tusky Ridge. All are easy enough to get around but keep an eye out on some of those downhills.

Other than that it was fast and super tacky.

Did Phillips Ridge yesterday from Fish Creek. Fair amount of downed trees. Trail crew is starting to tag & cut them. A buddy did Game Creek to The Bird, said there was only one downed tree, but not obstructing the trail.

Rode Ferrins to west game up game to sidewalk today. The area from the meadows to the west game/Wilson fork had 3 or 4 downed burn trees, and upper game had 1. Mosquitoes have calmed down a lot from Saturday tho.

Hiked/rode up Phillips Canyon from the base last night. Probably six trees in the first twenty minutes, one that is fucknig huge and could make for a sick ladder bridge/drop if allowed, then clean all the way once you cross the log bridge over the creek. Fun blasting back down that...

Phillips Ridge was all cleared of downed trees yesterday, was fun. Heard Munger was cleared of downed trees going to hit it today.

Munger was sweet yesterday, dirt on Wally's-> Squaw-> Tusky-> Poison was sweet. Only negative was tall grass where you could not see roots& dips in the trail.

I got Ferrin's, full Putt Putt, Sink or Swim-> Linda's. Tall grass in Linda's, all fun. Some parts were dry & dusty, but all sweet.

Not too over grown in Red Creek, and the stream crossings were reasonable.

HMS says dirt is perfect:

Awesome conditions on both Phillip's this weekend. Ridge trail was riding like a pump track on Friday night, and Canyon was entirely clear of trees Saturday. Went over the bars on both rides, one time pretty badly, but stupid fun nonetheless.

Also Black Canyon is good to go, definitely some walking going on once you start hitting the snow in the trees, but dry as a bone coming down. Crazily dry, in fact. Super loose up top since none of the pebbles have been skidded off the trail yet.

Also one of my co-workers had her wallet stolen out of her truck at the Jimmy's trailhead Friday after leaving the key in her gas cap; be warned!

The ridge really dried out and is significantly rockier and looser than even last week.

Anybody going to sun valley next weekend for the bike fest/enduro?

I've seen two different bears in Mill Creek in the last week. Hey Bear!