Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Worst injury (or death) you've witnessed irl?

MakersTeleMark describing having seen a climber deck got me thinking... what's the most awful injury you've witnessed someone receive, or have you seen someone die IRL?

I was at Tucks the day this was filmed and I recall seeing this guy fall going through a choke, hit his face, and leave a trail of blood down 800' of the ravine as he ragdolled down... that was pretty bad (around 3:35 in the video)

I also saw a little kid on a bike get hit fully head-on by a pickup truck. He flew probably 10' into the air like it was GTA or something, tumbling head over heels. The windshield looked like a bowling ball hit it (luckily the kid had a helmet or it would've been his brains splattered everywhere). Kid lived, btw, but he was definitely pretty fucked up.

So what's the worst you've seen?

Some posts on TGR. Just awful.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I've watched two of my mom's husbands die unexpectedly in the exact same spot.

Rating: 0/10. Would not do again

Voted Most Uplifting Thread of the Year.

Quote Originally Posted by commonlaw View Post
    I've watched two of my mom's husbands die unexpectedly in the exact same spot.
    If you don't mind my asking, what were the circumstances? That's a helluva coincidence it seems

I'm usually pretty good about managing to kill a thread.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

I was on one of those big yellow buses in Santiago Chile, and it slammed on the brakes, and I watched as we full on hit some guy who went flying forward and landed in the street. Looked dead to me. Everyone got off of the bus and looked at the guy, I didn't want to look, and moved along.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    I was on one of those big yellow buses in Santiago Chile, and it slammed on the brakes, and I watched as we full on hit some guy who went flying forward and landed in the street. Looked dead to me. Everyone got off of the bus and looked at the guy, I didn't want to look, and moved along.
    Fuckin a, did he go flying through the air?

That reminds me, I saw a bus hit a motorcycle in India at probably 25mph, from the side, and the motorcycle driver somehow managed to recover and not fall.

I saw a guy have a heart attack and die on the street outside my house.

When I was 11, my Dad and I were driving home and he hit a drunk guy walking down the street. Drunk was wearing dark jeans and a dark jean jacket, and there were no streetlights on that block. I saw him, but my Dad didn't until it was too late. That kinda messed me up for a few years.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    Fuckin a, did he go flying through the air?
    Sort of, because the front of the bus was big and flat, and the guy was walking along the ground, he didn't really fly through the air, as much as shot forward and collapsed at the same time, he probably went 15-20 feet forward of when the bus hit him. I still remember the thud noise of the bus hitting the guy. I didn't see him move at all once he was on the ground.
    sigless.

long time ago now but still in my head when I watched a kid from the neighborhood get run over by the bus at the bus stop on the afternoon of the last day of school. big stop and lots of kids, lots of last day chaos and running about and kids brother tosses his bag under bus to be funny. he goes to get it bus pulls forward. RIP Danny

Was waiting at a stop light a few years back when a guy (who had the green light) driving a little mid 90s Sunfire was crossing the intersection got nailed on the driver side by a guy driving an SUV who ran the opposing red light from me. SUV driver seemed to be speeding, too. Probably doing about 60 in a 45. I tried rescuing the victim as his car was pissing fluid everywhere and smoke started coming out of the hood. Blood was gushing out his mouth, which he was choking on too. Couldn't get him out since he was pinned in by the door and the collapsed steering. Had to cut his seatbelt off so he'd at least maybe quit drowning in his own blood. Dude died while I was trying to do something. EMS and a random ER doc who happened to be around showed up SUPER fast, like not even 5 minutes, but they informed me there was nothing I could've done to save him, telling me the guy's aorta was likely ripped clean from his heart and he would have had zero hope of survival no matter what.

Who I felt bad for was the guy who ran the red light, who was not injured (of course), and stumbling around saying over and over how he didn't see the red light. Guy was freaking out and in a daze. Didn't even bother helping me out. Poor guy's going to have to live with that image of what he did for the rest of his life. Fatal accident's suck.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    If you don't mind my asking, what were the circumstances? That's a helluva coincidence it seems
    I didn't find this out until after the fact, but apparently my father had health issues that he never told us kids about. His father was an MD and was quoted as saying my father wouldn't make it to 40. So I guess 58 isn't bad for a guy who had type 1 diabetes since childhood (most in shape dude I knew).

We had my wedding rehearsal dinner at my parents house and he collapsed due to what I think was a diabetic episode. He overworked himself getting everything ready for the party. He came to, I told him I was taking him to the hospital and he told me to fuck off. 20 minutes later, he dropped again. I worked on him for 15 minutes, then the paramedics worked on him for 30 of so. That's it. Assume a heart issue.

My mother remarried. I wanted to dislike him but I couldn't. Great man. A year after they married, he had a freak head injury that left him in an odd state of confusion - ranging from moments of perfect lucidity to not knowing who my mom was. Despite keeping him as active as possible, he apparently developed an embolism. He dropped in the exact same spot as my father. I worked on him for 15 minutes, then the paramedics, then to the hospital. Flat lined 5 times in front of me. On the 6th, the doctors looked at me and my mom with that "really?" face, and I told my mother it was time to let him go. We watched him die after that.

Rough.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    the guy's aorta was likely ripped clean from his heart and he would have had zero hope of survival no matter what.
    Damn.

Graduation day of high school late at night me and my buddy are tripping acid and heading home through the neighborhood. On the other side of the street we notice a car with its hazard lights on. As we pass by we realize there is a body in the street that the car has hit. I freak the fuck out and run away since I'm tripping.

Turns out the kid died and he was in my high school and I knew who he was.

well isn't this a cheery thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

In Eugene watched a guy run down a person on a bike then hit a telephone pole. He was yelling my baby my baby, figured it was kid or something. Down power lines all over the place. Pulled this seriously fucked up blond out from under the car, he runs over with a piece of broken windshield and cuts her neck. Another guy grabbed him and held him back. She "lived" he went to jail forever, had to testify and everything.

Turned out she had an abortion and he was exacting revenge. I still have dreams.

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Mild ones:
    Gun shot wound to the finger.
    Wife snapping tib/fib 9 miles from the car while BC skiing. That sucked. Thankfully the terrain was snowmobile accessible, could have been far worse.

Bad one;
    Watched a 1980s K5 Blazer rollover 3 times at 60 mph on black ice and hit a tree. We were headed the other direction. Half the family died at the scene of the accident - I'll spare the details but needless to say the 1980s era Blazer did not fare well and the occupants were in really bad shape. Driver walked away without a scratch. I can't imagine the guilt and pain he must still be dealing with. The accident also told me I wanted to drive a new car with engineered crumple zones. A new car would have done much better.

I've been a firefighter for 18 years now, and have seen some truly horrific shit.... But the ones I remember the most are the kids, and the suicides.... Or the kids who commit suicide.... Like the 12 year old who got in an argument with his parents over video games, went in his room and hung himself in his closet...We cut him down and worked him, with his entire family going bezerk around us. Or the 15 year old girl who got dumped by her asshole boyfriend, tied a rope around a rafter in the garage, stood on a stool, and jumped off. Parents found her when the drove up and opened the garage. Or the 17 year old who blew his brains out with dad's shotgun on Christmas Eve, supposedly because they took his cellphone away....One of my former Captains told me our brains are like a glass, and eventually, after seeing all of this crap, everyone's glass gets full.....Just a question of how big your respective glass is.... Fuck me, I need a drink....

That's about enough of this thread for me. Hang in there Sean. Tough gig you have.

Anyone know anyone that really likes watching Faces of Death? A buddy of mine, believe it or not, as stable as he is successful (very) really liked faces of death. He tried to show it to me. A politician pulling a gun out of an envelope at a press conference and blowing his head off and someone boiling and then pulling the skin off a cat. Almost puked.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Drowning is not good.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    That's about enough of this thread for me. Hang in there Sean. Tough gig you have.
    Thanks mang.... Appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    Anyone know anyone that really likes watching Faces of Death? A buddy of mine, believe it or not, as stable as he is successful (very) really liked faces of death. He tried to show it to me. A politician pulling a gun out of an envelope at a press conference and blowing his head off and someone boiling and then pulling the skin off a cat. Almost puked.
    That's pretty tame stuff these days, but Hey Man, Nice Shot.