Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    First time I moved to Colorado, had a motorcycle tire blow out directly in front of me on I70 outside of Kansas City. Had a couple on board. They went skidding across the tarmac. They had helmets on, but the lady riding in the back lost hers on impact. When the x-GF and I got to them he was on his feet freaking out and she was out cold, bleeding thick red blood and snoring/gurgling. That was pretty gnarly. From what I understand, they both survived. I heard from her attorney a couple months later, apparently the lady had spent several months in the hospital. I guess they had just put new tires on the bike and one of the fuckers blew up. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Was waiting at a stop light a few years back when a guy (who had the green light) driving a little mid 90s Sunfire was crossing the intersection got nailed on the driver side by a guy driving an SUV who ran the opposing red light from me. SUV driver seemed to be speeding, too. Probably doing about 60 in a 45. I tried rescuing the victim as his car was pissing fluid everywhere and smoke started coming out of the hood. Blood was gushing out his mouth, which he was choking on too. Couldn't get him out since he was pinned in by the door and the collapsed steering. Had to cut his seatbelt off so he'd at least maybe quit drowning in his own blood. Dude died while I was trying to do something. EMS and a random ER doc who happened to be around showed up SUPER fast, like not even 5 minutes, but they informed me there was nothing I could've done to save him, telling me the guy's aorta was likely ripped clean from his heart and he would have had zero hope of survival no matter what.

Who I felt bad for was the guy who ran the red light, who was not injured (of course), and stumbling around saying over and over how he didn't see the red light. Guy was freaking out and in a daze. Didn't even bother helping me out. Poor guy's going to have to live with that image of what he did for the rest of his life. Fatal accident's suck.
    That's vehicular manslaughter. Fuck that guy.
    Personally, I have pretty much seen nothing graphic. Been near it, just never really saw anything up close. I hit a rabbit once. That's it.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

That's vehicular manslaughter. Fuck that guy.
    Personally, I have pretty much seen nothing graphic. Been near it, just never really saw anything up close. I hit a rabbit once. That's it.
    Glad to hear you are perfect and have never made an error while driving. Never had a close call, nothing? I don't believe it.

I'm not excusing recklessness or drunk driving or unattended driving, but people aren't robots and shit happens that really sucks sometimes.

Damn this is a downer thread!

Twelve hours into a trip in Cambodia, just after finishing lunch. My buddy who lives there was driving us back to his place and we were stopped at a red light. Anyone who has ever been, knows how damn crazy the driving is there. People do not follow any sort of rules, it's complete chaos. A car swerves around us while we are stopped, going way too fast and in the opposing lane. This car slams into a motorcycle with a dad, mom and daughter behind him. It happened directly in front of us and I vividly remember the three bodies going flying. The mom jumps up instantly and runs over to the dad, picks up his head and he is clearly lifeless. She then runs over to the daughter who is rag dolled up against a curb, picks her head up and she appeared to be dead. The ambulance and police were there in what seemed like a matter of less then a minute. The guy in the car, never got out of his car and was just sitting there.

We slowly drove off and it haunted me for the rest if the trip. My buddy informed me that he sees that kind of stuff happen all the time. Not sure if it makes you numb, but I'm not sure I could deal with that on a regular basis. It really made me appreciate how much safer our traffic system is in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Glad to hear you are perfect and have never made an error while driving. Never had a close call, nothing? I don't believe it.

I'm not excusing recklessness or drunk driving or unattended driving, but people aren't robots and shit happens that really sucks sometimes.
    PM Iceman. You guys would make a great couple. He can forget the kids in the car and you can get drunk and run him over while he's walking away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post

And a lot of little limp dicks get big cars to make up for their shitty driving habits like not paying attention and speeding through red lights. So some guy in a small fun to drive car that needledick doesn't pay attention to gets dead. Might have been a father. Was definitely a son.
    Close calls? I guess I've had a few. Not in a while. People speeding through stopped traffic kill people. Just happened literally 1 short block from me. 19 year old hit and killed because 1 idiot woman who was speeding didn't notice that 3 lanes of traffic had stopped at a crosswalk. When you have 2 tons of steel hurtling around, pay fucking attention.
    When I had a small car, I had close calls all the time, and ultimately was totalled because suburban idiots just didn't pay attention to what is around them. Woman had 3 kids in the back of her small suv, 1 didn't have her seatbelt on. If she had a slightly smaller car or I a slightly bigger 1, that might have been seriously hurt or killed. It wouldn't have even been my fault, but I would have had to live with it. It's amazing how dumb people get in their cars. And it seems the bigger the vehicle, the dumber the drivers get. For instance, apparently, the way to park a large vehicle in a fucking perpendicular space is to just drive in till you hit the curb. They can't fucking park a car just pulling straight in.
    And if you're breaking the law when you kill someone, it's manslaughter at best. MAYBE negligent homicide if not drunk.
    People's actions effect other people. It's not really a thing people think about in America. That's why we all drive around in shitboxes getting 18mpg. Trash our lands and waterways. Don't know our neighbors.
    I guess I'm just a Pinko Commie for thinking we all live together and shit.
    No longer stuck.

6 or 7 years ago a granite company was renting the yard in the complex my shop is in... Owner of the company was trying to move a slab with an old rickety forklift. He raised the load too high, back wheel went off the pavement and the forklift tipped over onto the son of one of his employees pinning him. He was alive, crushed when the lift truck caught fire. Nothing anyone could do. I didn't witness the incident as I was inside my shop but the body, pinned and burnt was there for two days waiting for a crane truck to come lift the forklift of the crushed, burnt body.

Quote Originally Posted by stfu&gbtw View Post
    PM Iceman. You guys would make a great couple. He can forget the kids in the car and you can get drunk and run him over while he's walking away.
    You been in a pissy mood lately man. You run out of opiates or what?

When you have 2 tons of steel hurtling around, pay fucking attention.
    QFMFT

Well after all this stuff 22 broken bones ,destroyed knee, 2 back surgeries and severe liver disease...feel pretty good. Staying alive is my main goal.

And a lot of little limp dicks get big cars to make up for their shitty driving habits like not paying attention and speeding through red lights. So some guy in a small fun to drive car that needledick doesn't pay attention to gets dead. Might have been a father. Was definitely a son.
    Close calls? I guess I've had a few. Not in a while. People speeding through stopped traffic kill people. Just happened literally 1 short block from me. 19 year old hit and killed because 1 idiot woman who was speeding didn't notice that 3 lanes of traffic had stopped at a crosswalk. When you have 2 tons of steel hurtling around, pay fucking attention.
    When I had a small car, I had close calls all the time, and ultimately was totalled because suburban idiots just didn't pay attention to what is around them. Woman had 3 kids in the back of her small suv, 1 didn't have her seatbelt on. If she had a slightly smaller car or I a slightly bigger 1, that might have been seriously hurt or killed. It wouldn't have even been my fault, but I would have had to live with it. It's amazing how dumb people get in their cars. And it seems the bigger the vehicle, the dumber the drivers get. For instance, apparently, the way to park a large vehicle in a fucking perpendicular space is to just drive in till you hit the curb. They can't fucking park a car just pulling straight in.
    And if you're breaking the law when you kill someone, it's manslaughter at best. MAYBE negligent homicide if not drunk.
    People's actions effect other people. It's not really a thing people think about in America. That's why we all drive around in shitboxes getting 18mpg. Trash our lands and waterways. Don't know our neighbors.
    I guess I'm just a Pinko Commie for thinking we all live together and shit.
    If I were killed in an accident where another person was at fault, without being drunk or texting or something, but an accident I would prefer they go on with their life. Figure out a way to deal with it. No reason for another life to be lost. No amount of anger or blame can reverse an accident.

Viewing and dealing are traumatic and probably cumulative. I've had two coworkers commit suicide in less than two years. Sean is right, the old days of swallowing it down are over, we have to do better.

And please never ask someone in that profession "what's the worst thing you've ever seen" as an icebreaker at a party. It's likely not the gory car wreck you're hoping for.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You been in a pissy mood lately man. You run out of opiates or what?
    Nah... you're right though.
    Hugh Conway sucks
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

POV of a +45' fall to tarmac straight to the dome. A good chunk of shot term memory loss, only sorta remember the 2nd ambulance ride the next morning. Apparantly lots of blood, thumbs up, X-rays and hitting on the blonde ER doc. Oh and 5 smashed vertebrae. The seizure about 48 hours later was entertaining as fuck. Switzerland has top notch hospitals.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

I've seen a few things.

A traffic accident where the guy had to have been approaching the speed of sound in a Honda Civic, went off the road sideways and was stopped by a telephone pole. The pole impacted the car right where his head was. He was still in the car, not really shaped like a human anymore, and his brain was about 15 yards down the road resting against a tree. That's the day I found out what the inside of the brain pan looks like.

Hostage taker puts his face against the window to look out and gets shot by sniper. My most vivid memory of that day was relief knowing the poor dude who got taken hostage was ok. The second most vivid memory of that day was the blood on the floor swirling with milk from the jug the hostage taker was holding .

Bad guy tried to shoot a good guy, good guy won the gunfight. There were parts of his ball cap stuck to the ceiling and his armpit looked like he got bitten by a shark. It's weird the things that stick with you.

Another suicidal guy took a shot at a partner, and the suicidal guy was shot. The smoke from the cigarette he was smoking was drifting from the hole in his forehead after it was all over. That was a little surreal.

I was at Trolley Square after the shootings happened. I'd seen lots of violent crime victims before. That was the first time I've ever seen nice innocent people minding their own damn business get killed for no fucking reason. I could've probably gone my whole life without seeing that.

I looked over the shoulder of my buddy while he held the hand of a 7 year old girl who was caught in the crossfire of a gang shooting. She died right after he told her everything was going to be ok. He had a young daughter at the time. That memory will be with me for the rest of my life. It has not faded one tiny bit. I still remember her name.

You guys are right, this thread does suck. I have to say though, it's a little therapeutic to write it down.

Worst injury (or death) you've witnessed irl?

Was coming down off a crag with some friends in Clear Creek Canyon when we saw a guy lose control around a corner, slamming sideways into the canyon wall. He gets out, bleeding a little, stumbles around for about 10min, then goes back to his car to drive off, people block him, but his car is fucked and won't really move anyway. He gets out with a ton of paperwork in his hands and goes underneath the bridge. By now about 15-20min has passed. A couple people are trying to calm him down. Seemed like the guy was an illegal and drunk driving, probably now with a head injury too. Next thing you know, the guy is in the river. Never found out if he thought he could get away by swimming or if he fell in. Me and my buddy run down the highway following him, trying to get far enough ahead to make it down to shoreline to grab him. His body goes limp after blowing through a rocky section of rapids. We were never able to get far enough ahead while he was close enough to the embankment. Ended up probably a few miles down river by the end of it and watched the paramedics pull his body out once he got caught up near the edge. Still remember what it looks like to see a limp body roll through rapids.

I saw those russians go down the hill in the zorb, pretty sobering...

actually now that I think of it, it was on youtube.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I have witnessed a full gamut of death and disfigurement, but the ones that stick with me are the one's that where totally avoidable. The most recent,a Tom Brady wannabe who after one too many drinks attempts a standing backflip. He completes a 180 straight to concrete slab floor.Instant basilar skull fracture. Last thing his hot wife told him "Honey! don't be stupid" while texting her friends the pictures....

That's like one of those "Why Women Live Longer" moments.
    Guy here was blackout drunk one night and claimed he was beat up for being gay. Big news, this being Missoula. Shortly after, a video emerges of him trying to do a back flip off a curb and landing on his face. Hahaha, idiot.
    No longer stuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1427070908.863518.jpg 
Views:	304 
Size:	479.1 KB 
ID:	165478

Here's a little mishap my dad had a couple years ago in Montana. Ended up with 27 extra pieces where his tib and fib were when he started the day.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

How about a moment where you didn't hesitate and I made a difference?

Last day of 9th grade me and some buddies decide to skip and float the Pilchuck River. At some point nearing the park, I look back to see Scott's tube but no Scott. The little voice said something not good so I waded back upriver in knee deep water, glanced down to see Scott pinned under a log by the current. Pulled him up sputtering and coughing, never will forget. Lost touch with him after high school, heard he became a pastor.

20 years of paramedicine plus 20 years of ER nursing too numerous to mention would have to do it by categories. But hands down the worst is the death of an innocent child.

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post

Here's a little mishap my dad had a couple years ago in Montana. Ended up with 27 extra pieces where his tib and fib were when he started the day.
    And you thought to just stop and take a picture. What a good kid.
    PS, holy shit that made me flinch. OUCH. EW!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post

Photoshop Fai....

wait a minute..
    Hugh Conway sucks