Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    : we carry saws more than shovels here,
    My favorite is coming up on a downed tree where someone has piled 3ft of branch and bark shit on both sides as if slamming into it and continuing on at 1mph is an acceptable solution. The could have gotten home and gotten their chainsaw in the time it took to make that mess.

I spend more time kicking that crap off the trail than I do removing the damn tree. Stupid trees. We should ban them from the forests. Or at least shame them online.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Bark helps--here it's usually just round kindling on each side as if minimum stability is intentional. One spot the twig pile and the ensuing 3' re-route co-existed for more than a season, each with their own little trails. Someone likes riding rolling twigs? I guess CF did say fun was individual.

Braking bumps are a part of biking these days. Think of them as a challenge from the trail to adopt a different line to the hordes who came before you and the experience improves dramatically.
    Fixing braking bumps entails changing the trail, anything else is a band aid.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Jesus christ lee. Before you go on your epic self-righteous indignant parade, at least understand what I'm actually saying. It has nothing to do with disrespecting trail builders. I am a trail builder for fucks sake. I've spent the last two months swinging a mcleod in my free time (and am leaving in about half an hour to do exactly that), and about 5 minutes riding.
    what an unbridled ego who is massively hypocritical.

dude, your Stanford-Binet score and your stolen comic timing/phrasing don't mean shit. busy yourself projecting shit onto others, so you can feel superior? then walking it back like Wendell Stam, saying "doodz was joke chill doodz"?

and of course, calling me an "idiot."

facts irrelevant in Kevin Bazar's world. Kevin's ego -----> all that matters.

Fluff that tool, fluffer. if you want to satirize yourself and your egomania, start with honesty about self and others, and admit you can't handle being anything other than TGR and Ridemonkey's TOP DOG. holy shit, what an eggshell ego.

thanks for reminding us that you are the only one who's ever done trail work, and thanks for assuming your private trails = everyone's trails everywhere, and thanks for assuming that anyone who doesn't think, look, walk, ride, ski, and suffer ego damage like you -- well they just don't matter and besides, they're idiots.

I'm entertained. the midget flying on his carpet again! a ski named after me! I AM GOD!

why don't you take some of that fat trust fund inheritance, and get yourself some counseling?

Not everyone's an idiot. Just someone like you who reads what I and nickel have typed and think trail work is the same thing as sustainable bike-appropriate trail design. And most importantly, when to step back and let tires work a trail for a better outcome..... You see there's a good sect of the biking population that already knows this stuff, it's far from just a sphere of me.

How long you think you're going to be in this mental loop of obsessing over rideit and imaginary trust funds? In another month I'll probably be from boulder.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Erosion? Fuck.

Ever here of the Grand Canyon? That's some serious erosion and people love that thing.

I get the building trails to be acceptable for land managers and that doing it right means less time spent maintaining and more time building new trails. But lets be honest, the whole erosion in relation to bike trails is mostly a silly argument. A few steep bike trails is not really very damaging in comparison to so many other high impact recreational activities and industry.

One thing I have learned about builders is that they are often a bit kooky. The can have big egos and when they see that someone has seen a better line than the one they created they can get pretty butt hurt. Trails change/evolve over time.

I've spent the past 15 years building and maintaining the trails I ride. I know for sure that people are going to enjoy them in whatever way they can, regardless of what I think, but given what I know (and that I'm doing the maintenance) I can't help but ride in a way that enhances rather than degrades the trail. I always try to pump and roll in a way that compacts the established trail surface, with just a little drift in the corners where I'm building up berms. I'll admit to feeling a little exasperated when I see "dudes" aggressively cutting corners enduro style, or gratuitously roosting down an intermediate multi-use trail, but not enough to say anything. It's just the latest trend, which will change, and at least they're not riding horses.

Think there's probably a limit to "let the tires shape the trail." Every time I ride down a certain section in town it is wider because people are trying to go around some steeper rocky sections.

However, all the 4" deep horse prints dried into the ground I saw yesterday are probably worse for the place.

But horses are natural and they don't cause erosion!
    Which section you talking about getting wider? All of them? lolz.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    One thing I have learned about builders is that they are often a bit kooky. The can have big egos and when they see that someone has seen a better line than the one they created they can get pretty butt hurt. Trails change/evolve over time.
    the experienced voice of a youngster. if trail change is inevitable and thus something we should accept if not hasten, how about human mortality? cool for me to ask you to die right now? you're okay with that, right? humans die over time.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    But horses are natural and they don't cause erosion!
    Which section you talking about getting wider? All of them? lolz.
    translation: "I've only been here 3 years so I'm the expert on Missoula trails. because I'm fat, slow, never ride, but know how to say Get the Red Ones on TGR."

yeah, the horses are to blame. for sure. you'd know this, because >3 yrs ago, you saw the horses hammering the shit out of trails ...in Westchester County NY.

Horses are pretty sweet trail builders. Those shit-dropping creatures can follow a grade like nobody's buisness. The apples they leave for my tires to feed up into my mouth are a bit less sweet, but sometimes in life you gotta really taste the trail.

Dude with the kid named Arizona might be on to something you know, sometimes the trail just has a shitty bit. There's a trail in the area with a janky swtichback where a large % of riders just set up high in the loam to open up the corner. If you don't, you pretty much do a turn from 1997 where your bar hits your seat/leg/balls and you ride away feeling like a circus bear. It wasn't even built that long ago. I don't feel even a little bad for not riding the trail for that 7' 8". I'm not some euro-nerd from the EWS who does stoppie turns in every switchback. They're impressive, I can't do them.

While I'm ranting about bars; If the two trees are so close together as to make the chances of nicking a bar on either one higher than 50%, One of those trees should've died, or the trail should've gone around them. I had a friend say "No worries, I used a tape measure, your bars fit",

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    If you don't, you pretty much do a turn from 1997 where your bar hits your seat/leg/balls and you ride away feeling like a circus bear.
    Once you turn 40, that becomes 'old school technical riding' and no one under 30 can do it. And since this is the internet, it's my job to now insult you over your inability to ride technical terrain™.

It's the new synonym for 'stupid slow tight crap built for walking speed'

So anyone over 40 reading this knows, people under 30 call it bullshit and have no desire to learn.

Yeah something like that.

And cut yer barz!

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    I've spent the past 15 years building and maintaining the trails I ride. I know for sure that people are going to enjoy them in whatever way they can, regardless of what I think, but given what I know (and that I'm doing the maintenance) I can't help but ride in a way that enhances rather than degrades the trail. I always try to pump and roll in a way that compacts the established trail surface, with just a little drift in the corners where I'm building up berms. I'll admit to feeling a little exasperated when I see "dudes" aggressively cutting corners enduro style, or gratuitously roosting down an intermediate multi-use trail, but not enough to say anything. It's just the latest trend, which will change, and at least they're not riding horses.
    Pretty much what this guy said but then maybe you and I are "old school".

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Pretty much what this guy said but then maybe you and I are "old school".
    I just cut my handlebars down below 30 inches.

I'm not even sure I'm allowed in the woods any more.

I just cut my handlebars down below 30 inches.

I'm not even sure I'm allowed in the woods any more.
    I was referring more to what Kootenayskier said with respect to having respect to the trailbuilders intent rather than handlebar width.

....just harping on the old school thing

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    Seb Kemp has more fun, and is still better at riding and cornering, than you...he definitely does more trail work than any of his haters too

https://instagram.com/p/0MRYsguiJw/
    Is he wearing a fanny pack in the vid?
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by dblatto View Post
    Is he wearing a fanny pack in the vid?
    Being British he'd call it a bum bag.

I like to roost. I like to build. I don't skid. Who cares, go do some work.

[QUOTE=creaky fossil;4467274]the experienced voice of a youngster. if trail change is inevitable and thus something we should accept if not hasten, how about human mortality? cool for me to ask you to die right now? you're okay with that, right? humans die over time.

I turn 40 in September. And this post sort of proves my point, we are talking about trails and you compare a trail change to human mortality. It's kind of extreme. Reel it in a little there Creaky.

I'm a builder too but being a Dad and going to school has taken me back a few notches. I have a lot of other shit to deal with so a corner taking on a new shape on something I have possibly contributed time to isn't going to ruin my day. I also know that I am not the best rider on the mountain so even though I may have a vision someone else's may be even better.

I have also been dealing with the public and the Forests Service now for around 6 years to come up with a master plan for the Elden trail system. In this time I have learned to listen to everyone and not act like the trail king know it all. If you want to be a leader and get shit done it's probably not a good idea to get everyone hating you.

My favorite is coming up on a downed tree where someone has piled 3ft of branch and bark shit on both sides as if slamming into it and continuing on at 1mph is an acceptable solution.
    Speaking of old school, our local spot where I grew up had a couple of this type of thing, only completely different (well built). One in particular started out as a downed tree about chest high. They built up around it with logs, making a log pyramid that you had to ride over. I don't know all the details, because it had been there for years before I started riding there, and is still there 10 years later.

The superintendent when I lived there was an old trials guy turned radgnar freerider. He had a couple of favorite trails on which he'd leave downed trees as long as they didn't negatively effect the "flow" of the trail. In one case, he added a side route into a huge downed tree that had a branch perfectly placed to help you ramp up and over it. Little stuff like that made me the mediocre rider I am today!
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.