Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flea Question

Flea Question

My dad visited this past weekend and says he got fleas from our house. He didn't stay here, but was here for an hour.
    We have a dog, but no fleas...that we know of. I check the dog about twice a week and just gave him a thorough check today...no fleas, flea dirt. itching...nothing.

I always keep my dogs on flea meds, but actually didn't treat him Jan or Feb since it was cold and he was flea free at start of winter. I understand that they can lay dormant inside without a host, but he's here and was unmedicated. So if they were here he would have them it seems.

So....is this even possible? How can there be fleas here, but the dog doesn't have them? He says they're everywhere...well, how come they're not everywhere here?

I had a dog get them couple years back at the kennel and I knew he had them 5 min after getting him home.

I've had pets my entire life and it's very obvious when there are fleas...just seems very weird
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Is it possible dad has been going to places and seeing...uh, a certain type of woman in a certain kind of place prior to or after visiting you?

Yor dad sounds like a fleaphobe.

Had a friend who claimed if anuthr dog even came on her property her dog would get fleas instantly.
    watch out for snakes

I'm surrounded by flea infested cats on a daily basis and I've never brought home any fleas.
    Bad news booner, your Dad is banging lot lizards in his travels.

Dad's fucking loopy.

edit: or maybe he's just a junkie?

Yes it's possible to have fleas and not know it, (happens all the time in warm climates) but it sounds like you are pretty on top of flea control. I suspect assman is correct.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Yes it's possible to have fleas and not know it, (happens all the time in warm climates) but it sounds like you are pretty on top of flea control. I suspect assman is correct.
    By this point (2+ months unmedicated) wouldn't there be adult fleas so they would be seen on dog?
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Even with flea treatment you can still have fleas on the dog. I see it all the time. Clients insist up and down their dog doesn't have fleas, they have never seen a flea, the groomers says there were no fleas, yada yada yada, and I find fleas. Here in southern California, all dogs have fleas, period. Some just have more then others. Same applies to any region with a mild climate. If you live in Minnesota, then yeah, right now there probably aren't any fleas, but there will be in a couple of months. Fleas are a very regional problem.

I still say your dad has crabs...now that is a regional problem.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I still say your dad has crabs...now that is a regional problem.
    Kind of what I was thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

On topic (sorry for the threadjack) but Hutash, do you prescribe or recommend an oral flea/tick medication? I've been using K9Advantix II and have no issues but I would like to see if there is an oral that is as good for flea/tick prevention since the pups are around a 1 year old much of the time (don't want them rubbing the insecticide on child/furniture)
    I still call it The Jake.

I just had my second or third case of dogs seizuring after getting Comortis, plus have heard of a few others (it is a listed side effect), so no. The other oral NextGuard is too new (out about a year), so far no known problems, but I still reserve judgement. The idea of giving you pet a monthly dose of oral poison/pesticide just doesn't sit well with me. Topical is bad enough, but at least some of the products have been around a long time and have been proven to be pretty safe (safe being a relative term.)

iscariot

I just had my second or third case of dogs seizuring after getting Comortis, plus have heard of a few others (it is a listed side effect), so no. The other oral NextGuard is too new (out about a year), so far no known problems, but I still reserve judgement. The idea of giving you pet a monthly dose of oral poison/pesticide just doesn't sit well with me. Topical is bad enough, but at least some of the products have been around a long time and have been proven to be pretty safe (safe being a relative term.)
    Gotcha, I appreciate the feedback.

Being in a southern climate I realize that flea/tick prevention is a necessary evil, but I hate the idea of putting poison on my dogs - just looking for the most non-intrusive method I guess.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    On topic (sorry for the threadjack) but Hutash, do you prescribe or recommend an oral flea/tick medication? I've been using K9Advantix II and have no issues but I would like to see if there is an oral that is as good for flea/tick prevention since the pups are around a 1 year old much of the time (don't want them rubbing the insecticide on child/furniture)
    My dogs get exposed to a lot of ticks. I used the Seresto collar last year and it worked extremely well, with no visible side effects on my V's.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    that's what i thought this thread was about

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    My dogs get exposed to a lot of ticks. I used the Seresto collar last year and it worked extremely well, with no visible side effects on my V's.
    This is a really good collar (the only flea collar that actually works). It is great if ticks are a problem, but I don't like it if the problem is only fleas (which is very common in my area). They do appear last the entire 8 months if the dogs are not bathed too frequently or swim a lot (then good for about 5 months). The only failures I have seen are on dogs that are in the water constantly.

Of course, there is the debate that Bayer is wiping the worlds bee populations, but that is an on going issue that probably isn't Bayer's fault.

iscariot

TickSmart™ Daily TickCheck

Daily TickCheck Toilet Stall Cards are designed to be placed right above toilet paper dispensers in public bathrooms. Like TERC Shower Cards, these cards show actual- and enlarged-size blacklegged ticks in full color, as well as the other common human biting ticks. Ticks tend to bite humans in areas below the belt, most easily discovered while sitting on the toilet.

So on this note, are there issues with any of the topical flea meds? We just moved west of the cascades and started treating with Advantage.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Advantage has been around for a long time and has an excellent safety record. I have had a couple of local skin reactions in all those years. Good for fleas, but no tick protection (Advantix is for ticks.) Advantage is the product I recommend the most. Frontline is second, and is good, just not as good as Advantage, IMO. Frontline is good for ticks if used monthly, and is safe. Advantix is better if ticks are a real problem, but I don't think the pesticide in it is as safe as Advantage or Frontline. There is a anti-frontline presence on the innerwebs, but it is mostly a bunch of silly "my dog died after applying Frontline" (but not mentioning it was hit by a car) type thing.

Of all the products out there, oral, topical, sprays, powders, collar, premise treatments, et al, I think Advantage is the safest/best product for flea control.

iscariot

FWIW after having problems at various times with various treatment programs with fleas, three kinds of ass worms, and deer ticks we have found happiness and bliss using Frontline for ticks and fleas and at the same time the oral Sentinel from Novartis for flea's, heartworm and other worms. This combo has been serving us well and the dog is still alive with no convulsions or skin problems and still worm, tick, and flea free. I wish we didn't have to do this but our pup is a shit eating flea attracting tick magnet that loves to play in the water and mud.

Last edited by uglymoney; 03-19-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Advantage has been around for a long time and has an excellent safety record. I have had a couple of local skin reactions in all those years. Good for fleas, but no tick protection (Advantix is for ticks.) Advantage is the product I recommend the most. Frontline is second, and is good, just not as good as Advantage, IMO. Frontline is good for ticks if used monthly, and is safe. Advantix is better if ticks are a real problem, but I don't think the pesticide in it is as safe as Advantage or Frontline. There is a anti-frontline presence on the innerwebs, but it is mostly a bunch of silly "my dog died after applying Frontline" (but not mentioning it was hit by a car) type thing.

Of all the products out there, oral, topical, sprays, powders, collar, premise treatments, et al, I think Advantage is the safest/best product for flea control.
    I have used Revolution on my barn cats - any thoughts on that product (obviously my vet likes it since he sells it to me but another opinion is always appreciated!)

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    I have used Revolution on my barn cats - any thoughts on that product (obviously my vet likes it since he sells it to me but another opinion is always appreciated!)
    On dogs it is almost completey useless for ticks. Works great for fleas.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    TickSmart™ Daily TickCheck

Daily TickCheck Toilet Stall Cards are designed to be placed right above toilet paper dispensers in public bathrooms. Like TERC Shower Cards, these cards show actual- and enlarged-size blacklegged ticks in full color, as well as the other common human biting ticks. Ticks tend to bite humans in areas below the belt, most easily discovered while sitting on the toilet.
    wait ... WHAT?!?!? They're zeroing in on my junk?!?!
    Actually, I average around 30-40 ticks per tick season and I've never found them anywhere else but my neck, scalp, and shoulders/armpits. Must be an arboreal sub-species.

I am using Frontline, get it at COSTCO, on my kitties and the flea collars from Wallyworld. Last year was bad and I had to bomb the house and spray the yard a couple times.

Need to get nu collars soon, I should be good till end of March.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    (don't want them rubbing the insecticide on child/furniture)
    I know you were asking about preventative meds (I've been wondering about an oral alternative as well for the same reason) but if you get hammered by fleas, this is good stuff. Completely non toxic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000MS...=AC_SY200_QL40