Thumbs up Bend, OR and Boise | Camping/MTB suggestions in late April/early May

I did some searching and it seems like there are some cool options in both Bend and Boise. Would like to change it up from the typical spring desert trip.

Bend:
    I'm sure the lower trails will likely be dry. Anything else? Is it worth spending a few days riding on just the "lower" trails?
    Any good car camping? I keep seeing rec's for Tumalo, but what about BLM/Forest Service type primitive car camping?
    Any camping near fishing? Sounds like Metolious might have cool camping and near fishing
    Fishing good in late April/early May? Wading access?
    Seems like Bachelor has a decent snowpack currently. Are they open through mid May typically? This season? Any good touring nearby that could be fun in late spring?

Boise:
    Same as above, just thinking about a couple days of riding fun single track with car camping.

Thanks in advance

Subscribing for the Bend beta, working in central OR this summer

i know there are multiple snow parks with trail systems leading from them on the way to Bachelor, there was miimal snow at medium elevations when i was in bend mid february

lots of touring from the area, the sisters and broken top should be great in may

this months BIKE talked about Bend, apparently theres a lot of good riding west of town in Sisters if you want burlier DH oriented stuff

call Cogwild, to get latest trail beta, Also "bend trails" is on facebook with Beta.

camping: I've parked near the trailheads and just poped the top on the camper, never an issue.

Camping: You can head towards Bachelor on Cascade Lakes Highway and turn left on Conklin Rd (also known as USFS 41 or Dillon Falls) right after Inn at Seventh Mountain and camp on the west side of the road. Or head out Skyliners and camp anywhere off one of the multiple FS roads out there. Either of these options puts you within 10 minutes of westside Bend. There are plenty of established dispersed sights with rock fire rings.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

For Boise camping, there's stuff around Bogus Basin about 16 miles out of town or if you are driving anything with clearance, you can go up Rocky Canyon Rd and hang a left eight miles up at Aldape summit and find something. You can fish the Boise River and it is sometimes stocked. Plenty of awesome fishing within 1-2 hours. MF and SF Boise come to mind. If you want to take the long road home to Jackson, I'd go through Stanley and you'll hit some great rides and fishing.

The riding around here is pretty mellow from a technical standpoint but a lot of climbing and descending in that order. Check out http://www.ridgetorivers.org and there is also some stuff at Bogus, Avimor, and Eagle bike park.

Quote Originally Posted by char View Post
    Camping: You can head towards Bachelor on Cascade Lakes Highway and turn left on Conklin Rd (also known as USFS 41 or Dillon Falls) right after Inn at Seventh Mountain and camp on the west side of the road. Or head out Skyliners and camp anywhere off one of the multiple FS roads out there. Either of these options puts you within 10 minutes of westside Bend. There are plenty of established dispersed sights with rock fire rings.
    ^^^ this for camping. You can access the Phils complex from either FS41 or Skyliner, and it's a short distance up the hill for a bunch of other good options.

Plug into the Central Oregon Trails Alliance Facebook page for trail status. Not sure what you mean by upper vs lower trails, but I don't think (sadly) there will be a problem with snow at higher riding elevations late next month.

These guys can help you with fishing in the area http://www.flyfishersplace.com/fishing-reports

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    If you want to take the long road home to Jackson, I'd go through Stanley and you'll hit some great rides and fishing.
    I lived in Ketchum in the mid 90's for 4 years. It didn't snow much when I was there (biggest winter was 275", lightest was 140"), but we never considered mountain biking around Stanley in late April. Have things changed?

It seemed like the traditional "opening day" for the bigger networks around Ketchum (ie. Greenhorn, Chocholate/Fox/Oregon Gulch) was Memorial Day weekend.

Bend is cool but if you want something that's greener/tackier, a little more under the radar, a smaller town feel (or no town), the ability to camp right on/fish/ride from 3-4 different rivers with almost no people, then head another 1.5hr over to Oakridge. You can camp in campgrounds or just boondock right on the MF Willamette, NF Willamette, Salmon Creek or a few different reservoirs. I did this trip memorial day last year and it was best MTB trip I've done - more singletrack than you can ride in a week and really good fishing, especially on MF. Got several nice cutties and a bull

http://issuu.com/bikemagazine/docs/o...85392/11546445

http://www.mtbproject.com/directory/166650/oakridge

Some of the lower stuff around Stanley might be going by mid to late May and closer to Ketchum has a really good shot if things don't change soon. Not saying it's a for sure but here's a pic of a south facing slope at 6,000' at the local ski hill from a week ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo-8.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	152.0 KB 
ID:	165320

damn, thanks for all of the good info!!

I'll bump this soon probably with more questions as they come up, but this is an awesome starting point

Just wanted to bump this- heading out in a couple days.

Any specific trail condition updates I should be aware of?

Any more camping suggestions? We will probably spend a couple of days in the Hood River area as well. Appreciate all of the great input!

Rode the phil's trail area last weekend, was riding pretty good but don't expect much climbing. If you are looking for some longer rides and have the time I'd highly suggest hitting up Oakridge or the Mckenzie river area. Rode the A-T-C-A in oakridge and the O'leary loop off the mckenzie the weekend before and they are both super quality rides.

As for Hood River, Post Canyon is riding really well right now, damn near perfect dirt.