late June Bay Area road & mtn rental / rec'd area

I've got 2-3 days to get some riding in bay area...visiting from Colo w/out bikes. Recommended base for late June road and/or mtn rental (I'd like to do 1 day of road minimum) and rides? Ideally road 1 day, mtn the other...have never ridden in the area. Marin? Sonoma/Napa? Shops with quality rentals? Long, up to 100mi road & long-ish mtn rides, moderately techy, preferred

Santa Rosa would be a good spot. On the road you have King Ridge, Coleman Valley, the Geysers, Skaggs Springs, Pine Flat, lots more. Hope you like to climb. Not as much for MTB but you could hit Annadel, or head up north to the Mendocino trails. If you like beer check out Russian River Brewing Company.

Other option that comes to mind is Santa Cruz. Tons of road riding in the mountains (again, lots of climbing). For MTB there's Demo and UCSC.

Roaring Mouse in SF presidio can sort you out for both road and mountain. Sports basement also rents some good bikes. If you want closer to destination rental that's possible too as there's no shortage of shops in mill valley or down toward Santa Cruz.

I live in Marin and was going to recommend Santa Rosa as well. Def hit Russian River Brewing!

Or, base out of Fairfax in Marin and hit West Marin/SW Sonoma, mix in Mt Tam road/dirt climbs, and Tamarancho. http://www.sunshinebicycle.com/demo-rental/
    Last edited by 54-46; 03-14-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Thanks--those sound like great ideas to start with. Love climbing.

Ironically, road riding in Marin is awesome, MTB is just OK.

I'm in Palo Alto. Road riding around here is great, especially if you climb over the Santa Cruz mountains towards the coast. The area around Pescadero is especially beautiful, in my opinion. I'm told the mountain biking is also good, but my only direct experience is an occasional fire road on my road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    I'm in Palo Alto. Road riding around here is great, especially if you climb over the Santa Cruz mountains towards the coast. The area around Pescadero is especially beautiful, in my opinion. I'm told the mountain biking is also good, but my only direct experience is an occasional fire road on my road bike.
    Yeah, for MTB look up Demo Forest, El Corte De Madera/Skegg's Point, Saratoga Gap, Henry Coe, Wilder Ranch on MTBR.

And for road the alpine damn loop and paradise loop are both good.

I'm partial to Tamarancho for MTB since it's close and has a bit of everything but Soquel demo Forrest is pretty awesome if you have a day for it.

Hit me up if you want to ride Anadel in Santa Rosa, some of the best singletrack in N California with lots of climbing and fun downhills: some flowy, some tech. A great shop to demo a Specialized is NorCal Bike and Sport in downtown Santa Rosa.

I guess this all depends on where you are staying as well. SF/ East Bay/ N Bay?
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

I'm in so bay for the weekend, then free to roam mon-wed. It's a ways off: June 29-July 1. Will be in touch

Find your way to Santa Cruz, You can rent high end Demo's right from the factory for Santa Cruz and IBIS bikes for a $20 donation to the local bike club. Trails kick ass on just about everything else in the bay area also.

Yesterday, did Eldridge Grade on the MTB and came back and downed a few Pliny the Elder.

Today was Paradise Loop (actually out and back on the backside) a some Fullers ESB.

Other places may be fantastic, but Marin does not suck.