Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Weed on BC hut trip - thoughts

Searched but not even a poll on this ...

I'm planning a week long trip where I'll be with mostly a group of 'strangers', a professional guide, and the whole deal. I'm wondering how taboo, if at all, the brethren consider lighting up discretely around potentially mixed company in the BC. There are a shit load of issues at hand like safety, judgement, communication, attitudes/ego, legality, and the list goes on.

Obviously I would be as discrete as possible, and assume I'm a well spoken, professional, gray haired, experienced skier. I'm talking about 2-3 puffs throughout the day when the opportunity presents itself.

I wouldn't mind if someone lit up, duh, because I'm biased and I'd do it with them. But, I can also understand the other side of the argument the non-partakers will no doubt have.

I just want to know - is it a douche move, or acceptable?
    Last edited by BlatantAlias; 03-11-2015 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Can't seem to make this a poll

some of the greatest ski descents have been made with a puff. leave only a few turns unstoned

If I were in the group, I'd prefer drinking and smoking be done in the hut at the end of the day... seems like if the shit hit the fan everyone should be in best condition to respond. Obviously many variables come into play, but that's my 2cents.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by BlatantAlias View Post
    I'll be with mostly a group of 'strangers' ....
    There are a shit load of issues at hand like safety, judgement, communication, attitudes/ego, legality, and the list goes on.
    ...assume I'm a ... professional, ... experienced skier.

Is it a douche move or acceptable?
    You already know the answer. Why the fuck would you need someone here to rationalize the opposite for you?

I'd say keep it as safe as possible out there. If shit hits fan you can just channel your chemically enhanced focusing powers on digging! The unsafe ones will be beaters anyways so not to worry!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Pretty much would depend on the mix of clientele on the trip and how head strong the guide is.

His safety meter is what you should be trying to measure.

If this is a human powered effort, lighting up should be pretty much a basic need for some, especially if you have a few worthy kanucks in the mix.

Fossil fuel burning conveyances will ratchet up the total safety quotient.
    The more complex the transport (snow mobile/cat/heli), the more taboo burning will be.

To back up what jfost says; If th avy sense needs to be engaged a large amount of the time, smokers are the jokers and mostly probably are the ones that get poked with a probe when things go down and not to be relied upon to save your life.

I have come to look at it like this: if the shit hits the fan and i'm not on my game, how bad am I going to feel after it's all over?

Use your keen senses to gauge the when and where.

Just be prepared when chance presents itself.
    ​I am not in your hurry

it would depend on the guide I bet this has come up before, I have heard guides say "don't let me see it" so you could do edibles and no one would know

So where are you coming from? Altho the RCMP usually don't bother to prosecute MJ is still very illegal in Canada and Canada customs will very definatley try to bust your ass,

they got the sniffer dogs at the airports and the mail SO if you try to mail MJ smokeables OR edibles across the line OR even east to west in Canada

and no local in their right mind is going to sell a bag to some stranger
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Have been in similar situation and agree with jfost that best time to smoke is back at the hut. I dont get paranoid around others that dont smoke but why let it be an issue? If you saw someone chugging a beer before the hike up, how would you feel? For people that dont smoke, chugging a beer is a good analogy. You will be fine without a puff.

That being said, bring enough for the crew when you are back at the hut. Don't go hide out in the woods and smoke; suss out the guide and the situation, and be generous and open with your stash if the situation warrants it. In general, hut skiing is less about partying and more about skiing than your typical stay at the lodge.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    and no local in their right mind is going to sell a bag to some stranger
    This is absolutely true. I have been all over this planet and it is always best to buy the "locals" a few beers first and wait for them to offer you weed.

Being offered weed entirely by chance is one thing, scoring a bag on the way to the heli pad might be a stretch ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I was just agreeing with you in that you usually need to get people out of their right mind in order for them to do something stupid, like give weed to a stranger. Unless you are in certain areas where we simply have to much and are trying to give it away.

Weed is overrated anyways, try bath salts. Drug sniffing dogs run from that shit in my experience

Being secretly stoned, by yourself, amongst a group of strangers on a hut trip sounds lousy. Especially if it was done privately as to not upset anybody in the group. Being out in nature is epic and why not top off the day by just waiting to get irie once the technical riding is over?

because skiing and riding while irie is even more fun. no one can make the judgment call for you. it depends on a lot of factors that come in to play when youre far away from a computer.
    long live the jahrator

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    booking unguided w/ a crew of partakers
    is always an option
    personally i could care less if ya mainline glopstoper and vaccum bag your farts
    you are either a competent bc enthusiast and an asset to the trip or tour or not
    and if your only baggage is a sack o herbs
    i'll help lighten the load
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    and if your only baggage is a sack o herbs
    i'll help lighten the load
    Sig worthy right there.

the fact that you had to make an alias to discuss this in 2015, tells us all we need to know.
    you are a fag
    crab in my shoe mouth

Guides are well aware that many skiers incorporate smoking weed into their daily ski routine without issue. If you have your shit together (the key point here) and it functions as a mood enhancer, there shouldn't be a problem. Just be discrete about, and allow others the option of pretending it's not going on.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    personally i could care less if ya mainline glopstoper and vaccum bag your farts
    Also quoteworthy

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    Being secretly stoned, by yourself, amongst a group of strangers on a hut trip sounds lousy. Especially if it was done privately as to not upset anybody in the group. Being out in nature is epic and why not top off the day by just waiting to get irie once the technical riding is over?
    sounds fun to me, spend a bunch of time secretly stoned and dealing with others who aren't high day in and day out,

was hanging out with a friend a couple weeks ago and he doesn't care for weed at all I had a joint burning a hole in my pocket and wanted to smoke it so bad, but realized it may not be apporporiate and I couldn't get away from him long enough so I didn't smoke it, it kinda sucked

as for your trip bro, why not get high when you can, you may be the suckiest skier in the group, I hope your not but you could be, if you are then well, either the weed is gonna make you better or even worse, the problem with ski trips like that you don't know your gonna get stuck with, take a dugout and bat with you, stop in the trees if your tree skiing and puff puff, be like you have to goto the bathroom and get away from the group and puff puff, it's pretty easy as long as you don't make a production of it

just don't be the suckyest skier you'll give pot head skiers a bad rap if you are

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post

To back up what jfost says; If th avy sense needs to be engaged a large amount of the time, smokers are the jokers and mostly probably are the ones that get poked with a probe when things go down and not to be relied upon to save your life.

I have come to look at it like this: if the shit hits the fan and i'm not on my game, how bad am I going to feel after it's over
    really reefer madness much bro?
    if ya been burnin and turn earnin daily for more than a season or 2 ya'd think ya practiced some self rescue shit hit the fan things on drugs a time or 2
    it's only a doobie and multithousands of us perform just fine on thc.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

B
    Last edited by chiller; 03-16-2015 at 07:25 PM.

at the hut safety briefing i'd just cut to the chase
    stand up and state i'm the most stoned exstreme skier in the hut his week
    then spend the rest of the week proving it

Oh the HORROR!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    Oh the HORROR!!!
    That does nothing to deter my desire to smoke weed, it enhances it.

OP, are you a stoner who can't function without smoking weed? If so you should for sure partake all day. If you're a casual user and looking to get baked maybe wait for the hut. I'm not passing any judgment here, I know folks who function great while stoned and can execute complex tasks because that used to be me. It would depend on the group and the terrain/snowpack now because I'm no longer a daily user. Either way you probably already know the answer.

The problem is some people cannot handle weed...at all. Which is fine, but they don't understand people that can. Those people who cannot will think it's completely inappropriate. I think it will have to be a game day decision once you figure out the peeps you're with. They're bc skiers though, so I would think most would be ok. It's not like doing shots of tequila. “Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction.”