Fatality at Sorcerer

So sorry to read about a ski guide fatality in the Sorcerer Lodge tenure. The owners are old friends, amazing lodge and terrain, small family. Am sure I will know him, when the name is released.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...-b-c-1.2990448

the word is that it was Robson Gmoser!!!!!!!!!!.......great guy, good attitude, friendly, positive, sense of humor.....horrible....skied with him guiding about ten years ago at Sorcerer....summitted and skied Iconoclast with him that week ........condolences and sadness........he will be in my memory for ever..........CTR

Quote Originally Posted by CTR View Post
    the word is that it was Robson Gmoser!!!!!!!!!!.......great guy, good attitude, friendly, positive, sense of humor.....horrible....skied with him guiding about ten years ago at Sorcerer....summitted and skied Iconoclast with him that week ........condolences and sadness........he will be in my memory for ever..........CTR
    Yes, I just got a note with this link in it:
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle23412511/

Robson= The Laughing Man

+++Vibes+++

Sounds like one of the ones that really makes skiing special.

Serious mindfuck for the GIT, seeing someone that senior go down like that. Good on him for being able to dig him out by himself in 30min from 1.5m, sucks it was too late.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Spent a week at Battle Abbey with Robson, really enjoyed his company and his guiding style. Vibes to the Golden/Canmore community, I know this will be a tough one to take.

Rip Robson. It was a privilege

We were going into Battle Abbey when Robson was going out last week (to Sorcerer). Well respected and loved guy. Very sad indeed. He left a hell of a legacy. The sport lost one of the good ones yesterday.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Very sad.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

RIP Robson

this sucks. vibes

RIP

RIP Robson. I never met him in person, but I did speak to him on the phone several times last fall when my previous employer was sending him a pair of skis. FedEx was having issues with delivering to his address in Harvie Heights.

The best of thoughts go out to his family and those that knew him well.

Vibes!!! RIP

I just posted this on our FB page:

RIP Robson Gmoser and our condolences to all involved. I had been looking forward to meeting him this week.

We are just returning from a week long BC touring trip at Battle Abbey lodge (battleabbey.ca) which is around 45 miles SE of the Sorcerer lodge (diagonally across Glacier Park) where the avalanche occurred. Robson was the business partner and close friend of Roger Laurilla our host at Battle Abbey. It was incredibaly sad to see the news of Robsons death affect Roger, Michael (Robson's cousin), the other guides, staff and members of our group who are close to Roger, Michael and some close to Robson.

As the article states: “There was almost no hazard up high, until it warmed up,” Mr. Stanier said. “This was one of those low-probability, high-consequence events.” This added to the shock of the event since we had been skiing similar conditions for three days prior.

Roger and Michael flew out soon as possible after the tragedy and returned on Friday. After another fine dinner at the lodge, Roger spoke at great length and detail of the history the Gmoser, Putnam and other influences that created, evolved and shaped the backcountry, helicopter skiing and guide network throughout Canada, along with their influences on his life's calling and the Abbey. It was one of the most incredible showing of fortitude and focus providing us with a 'historical eulogy' of this great loss to the community and him personally.
    These people are of the finest I have ever met.

The history of the Canadian helicopter and backcountry system is very compelling and I have the utmost respect for all of those who have been and are involved in it's stewardship.

Stay safe out there and sometimes bad stuff happens no matter how good or careful you are. RIP.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/…/popular-m…/article23412511/
    Last edited by Alpinord; 03-17-2015 at 02:31 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Might be just me, but I find dark blue (or is it black) text on medium blue background impossible to read!

Looks fine in TGR white and on mobile app. Changing text color to 'automatic' fixes this. Simply being able to copy and past black text into a post reply should be automatically dealt with by the software and just work within the format.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR