Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sun Valley is skiing well. More terrain opening daily and I expect the bowls to open shortly. Two nice storms this week and another expected Sunday.
    No crowds, yet, and I heard SV was offering lodge rooms at a reduced rate.

Quote Originally Posted by DoYou WannaDance View Post
    Probably because no larger mountain in New England that Vail would be associated with (from a branding point of view) is willing to let people ski there unlimited all year long for the 80-90 bucks the eastern mountains would recieve out of the 800 Vail gets on the pass. I bet they add something in the mid atlantic region before anything in new england to entice New Yorkers and people down the eastern shore board to buy the epic and start planning their expensive vaca to summit co.

I could see them adding a couple Quebec resorts that would happen before anything is added in New England.

HAHA I WOULD LOOOOOOVVVVEEEEE IT if they added somewhere close to NYC like HUnter Mountain to the Epic and as a result Vail gets swarms of extra NY/Jersey gapers going there on top of all the existing ones and midwest ones and other usual Vail skiers to upset the twatty locals living there. (Not trying to hate on the hot females who treat trips to Vail like a spring break.)
    Vail does not do "willing". They just gobble you up and boss you around. And they don't need a big resort to be associated with. A small one will suit them just fine, as long as they can jack up food, lift, ski school and all other prices.

Bump for trip planning --

Mrs. C. and I have the mountain collective passes; considering whether to do a road trip from Reno: Sun Valley, Targhee, Jackson (or start in Targhee/Jackson and go to Sun Valley on the way back to Reno).

Recommendations on cheap lodging near Sun Valley? (Ketchum?)
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^ Not a lot of motel rooms here. Googling "motels Ketchum" shows what there is. Next is Hailey, 13 miles south. PM me if you have any specific questions. January is usually pretty quiet here.

Sun Valley announced next year's season pass will include half off day tickets at all Mountain Collective resorts. Wondering if the other resorts will offer the same to their pass holders. Seems like a disincentive to buy the Mtn Collective pass, but maybe I'm missing something.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by 5B View Post
    Sun Valley announced next year's season pass will include half off day tickets at all Mountain Collective resorts. Wondering if the other resorts will offer the same to their pass holders. Seems like a disincentive to buy the Mtn Collective pass, but maybe I'm missing something.
    I believe that Squaw/Alpine (Gold) and Mammoth's (Premium) highest priced passes include half off day tickets at Mountain Collective Resorts. Their lower priced passes do not.

Should I take the plunge

I am considering the Mountain Collective pass for next year and I think I just need a little encouragement. I live in the southeast, so in general I think these kind of passes are not for me because the cost of travelling to multiple resorts to make the pass worthwhile is prohibitive. In the past I have relied on quad passes and other similar deals to lock in low prices at places at one or two places and then planned trips around that. That being said I am considering the Mountain Collective in particular this year because I have a family member who lives in Burlington and who will have a pass at Stowe. I will definitely take at least one trip up there to ski, and from what I can tell, Stowe is pretty expensive (~$92 online/liftopia) and doesn't really ever discount tickets (no quad packs or other specials from what I can tell). So, if I used my bonus day at Stowe that would account for a big chunk of the cost of the pass, and the 50% off additional days would be a perk too as I may take additional trips there given free lodging etc. Then I would plan on taking a longer trip out west and try to hit some combination of 2-3 of Alta, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole and Aspen, which are all w/in 6 hours or so of SLC. Obviously this would require some driving but I think its doable. Even if I only do 4 days in addition to the days I ski at Stowe, it drops the price of the pass to ~$55/day. For the quality of the resorts I think that is not bad, and hopefully I could fit a few more days in either while out west or in a separate trip.

Thoughts? The main thing driving me to consider it is the access to discounted tickets at Stowe because I cant see any other way to ski there for less than an arm and a leg. There would definitely be other ways to get similar prices out west, although as I said above, the quality of the western resorts included on the pass makes it attractive as well. Thanks in advance.

Stowe seals it for me, since I'm a hybrid east/west skier. Unfortunately, no snow this year at Stowe, but that won't last forever. Best mountain in Vermont.
    MC has excellent taste in mountains. All good to great. That rises it above the others.
    No lose if you spend a week at one place. Figure it out from there. And check Liftopia for discounts close. They give good deal at Mad River Glen, for instance. Smuggs even closer. Nice combo with Stowe.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Stowe seals it for me, since I'm a hybrid east/west skier..
    "Hybrid east/west skier" ...ya, right, except for the skiing aspect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by m10a88 View Post
    I am considering the Mountain Collective pass for next year and I think I just need a little encouragement. I live in the southeast, so in general I think these kind of passes are not for me because the cost of travelling to multiple resorts to make the pass worthwhile is prohibitive. In the past I have relied on quad passes and other similar deals to lock in low prices at places at one or two places and then planned trips around that. That being said I am considering the Mountain Collective in particular this year because I have a family member who lives in Burlington and who will have a pass at Stowe. I will definitely take at least one trip up there to ski, and from what I can tell, Stowe is pretty expensive (~$92 online/liftopia) and doesn't really ever discount tickets (no quad packs or other specials from what I can tell). So, if I used my bonus day at Stowe that would account for a big chunk of the cost of the pass, and the 50% off additional days would be a perk too as I may take additional trips there given free lodging etc. Then I would plan on taking a longer trip out west and try to hit some combination of 2-3 of Alta, Sun Valley, Jackson Hole and Aspen, which are all w/in 6 hours or so of SLC. Obviously this would require some driving but I think its doable. Even if I only do 4 days in addition to the days I ski at Stowe, it drops the price of the pass to ~$55/day. For the quality of the resorts I think that is not bad, and hopefully I could fit a few more days in either while out west or in a separate trip.

Thoughts? The main thing driving me to consider it is the access to discounted tickets at Stowe because I cant see any other way to ski there for less than an arm and a leg. There would definitely be other ways to get similar prices out west, although as I said above, the quality of the western resorts included on the pass makes it attractive as well. Thanks in advance.
    I have no knowledge of Stowe at all. I just renewed my Mountain Collective for the fourth time. In past seasons I have made some of the road trips between resorts that you mentioned. I have gone from Alta/Snowbird to Aspen, Jackson Hole to Alta/Snowbird, and Aspen to Alta/Snowbird at various times as part of bigger road trips. The drives are doable and beautiful. Another option to consider is to make a trip that combines Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth. I am fortunate to live just about in the middle of the two areas (Making the Mountain Collective easily economical.) Each is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from my house. Driving time between Squaw/Alpine and Mammoth is about 3 and a half hours. Flying into the airport in Reno would complete a triangulated route.

The earlybird MC with the free kids pass plus the third day was a steal. We'll be ahead even if we just do one trip assuming my acl heals up properly. Motivation.

Bought the MC this year and only skied Aspen 3 times on it so I pretty much broke even. Was debating making a quick trip to sunshine village but I've heard the coverage is getting thin and that delerium dive and goats eye may close soon... May try to chase a late season snowbird storm if possible

Just finished my 13th MC day at Alta closing (also Squawlpine, JH, SV, Asspen, Taos), coming out to a little over $28/day. Might use if for the Mammoth Mini if I can swing it. Hell, I was even idly checking out a summer vaca to Aussie with a swing by Thredbo.

Been a yuge proponent of the MC since its inception. Y'all do realize that the person who founded MC and Liftopia is a maggot, right?

13 for me too - SV, SB/Alta, Aspen and Stowe -- and 7 for my daughter (at $99) Aspen and Stowe -- thank you Mountain Collective.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Mountain Collective adds Sun Valley

For me it's break even and rest is gravy. I always go to alta and mammoth. Now alta and Jackson and then maybe aspen. Skiing is expensive and will try touring next season hopefully. But MC rocks and variety is great.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Stowe is a classic Vermont area... and really fun to ski of you catch it with the right conditions.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Make fun of Sun Valley all you want. Good skiing and good people all around those parts. They took me in as their own. Can't wait to spend some time down there this summer!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I didn't see anybody making fun of Sun Valley in this thread. It has its place.

I got, in chronological order:

- Taos (x3)
    - Alta, Alta, Bird
    - JH (x3)
    - SV
    - Mammoth (x3)

Squalpine days still to come.

Maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get up to Whizler.

I had to earn my birthday presents from the SO this year by completing on-mountain challenges (do ski-do-si-dos with friend X, follow friend Z off any cliffs/drops for a entire run of their choice, shotgun brew with friend Z, etc.) To get my last present, I had to ski down in my skivvies from the hut we were partying at. (I work in early childhood, so a buttnaked was a job losing proposition.)

An hour before this photo it was 50 and sunny. But I got a totally surprise MCP out of it. Incredibly stoked for next year. My most reliable ski buddy has already bought his for the first time. Lots of long weekend excursions sleeping in the Astro van are on tap for next year. At minimum I expect to get: Aspen (3 days), JH -> SV -> SLC, Taos, and then one flying trip either to Squaw or Whistler.

[QUOTEI didn't see anybody making fun of Sun Valley in this thread. It has its place. ][/QUOTE]

I guess I was recalling another thread. See you guys in August.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I got mine for the wife and I. She's not going to get more than 10-12 days at the Bird in a season. And we'll do the drive to Aspen, Jackson, maybe fly in for a weekend at Tahoe.
    I demoed the TECH TALK JONG! pro model this spring and their performance was unparalleled which is good because I ski in a wedge most of the time - bendtheski, 2011

Anybody else stoked they added Telluride! Whistler Blackcomb is gone after this year with the Vail deal.

I have a week off in January for MC pass dirtbag run. Snowbird Alta Sunday and Monday with wife and kids then depart by myself with sleeping bag and Subaru. Aspen Tuesday Wed. T-Ride Thurs-Friday. Monarch (no MC pass) Saturday just to visit my friend in Salida on the way home and because I didn't get to ski it last year because I blew my knee out a couple day prior- they have a nice parking lot though!

Week off in March for my 3 days at Jackson after my FMLA renews so I can turn up the skiing a couple notches. Maybe hit Sun Valley as I've never skied it.

Just to add, since Monarch is mentioned, the Loveland Pass at 389 gets you 3 days at Monarch, 3 at Crested, 3 at Purgatory, and 3 up at Powder Mountain in Utah. So, you know, helps connect the dots that are missing with the MC. You can see how Benny's road trip is forming.

2017/2018 Now available for $399. Whistler/Stowe out. Snowbasin and Sugarbush are in.

Alta/Snowbird now separate so 2 days becomes 4. With Snowbasin you can get 6 days in Utah on a single trip now!

Kids 12 and under $1

3rd day free at one resort if you buy early

Telluride still a member! Stoked. I think I'll take my 3 days there next year.

https://mountaincollective.com/