New member to the tibial plateau fracture association...

Just fractured by tibial plateau 5 days ago on the slopes. So far minimal pain, no surgery required (fingers crossed it stays that way), and doctor put me in a neoprene brace (bars on the side) that permits for full range of motion. He already has me doing flex exercises (bending knee, leg lifts), scheduling pt starting next week, and icing the knee. Other than that (and no weight bearing or driving), not much in terms of dos and don'ts.

Any tips for a new member of the group? Does it seem too early to be starting these types of exercises? I was shocked that all he gave me was this flimsy brace and instructed me to bend me leg as much as I could. I thought I would be totally immobilized in some sort of locked brace. I'm afraid I'm going to do more damage and then need surgery.

you would probably get better info by deleting this new thread and posting in this huge thread on exactly this injury: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...cture-Recovery
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

If you're being treated non-operatively it's almost certainly a less severe injury, which is great news. You don't want to walk or load the joint to prevent the fracture fragments from being displaced/pushed down, but you don't want the knee to get stiff either. Hence the early motion but without putting weight on the knee. After tibial plateau fractures get fixed operatively surgeons will also generally move the knee early in a hinged brace but not allow weight-bearing.

Best of luck healing.
    Originally Posted by jm2e:
    To be a JONG is no curse in these unfortunate times. 'Tis better that than to be alone.