Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Avalanche in East Vail 3/6/15 - 1 injured

Fix your brain dummy. NOT in East Vail, it was up Pitkin Creek, and it was yesterday, not today. Done smoked too much weed?

wow lindahl, way to be a douchbag

If he had read any of the article, it would have been obvious. You should know better - this place has no tolerance for that level of stupidity.

And the way you replied to me showed quite a bit of civility. Your earlier reply was unnecessary.

Well the article from Vail Daily did say "the Pitkin Creek area of East Vail" so that reply does seem a bit harsh. We're not all kore locals.

(I'm referring to this thread, not the incident)

I'm still waiting for any real info on the slide. Love how the Denver article is just a blurb from the vail daily story. Glad the guy is OK and just a broken leg. Things are pretty touchy in summit right now

The guys were in the Pitkin drainage on the north side of I-70. Two of the three guys got caught. 1 sustained a compound tib/fib leg fracture. According to a friend of one the guy who broke his leg, they airlifted him to Denver. Lucky guy.

It was East Vail, whether or not the area commonly called "East Vail" that is easily accessible from the top of Vail Resort. East Vail is a neighborhood, so come off it Lindahl from Boulder/Breckenridge.

Avalanche in East Vail 3/6/15 - 1 injured

My point is that saying a slide was in East Vail very much implies its accessed from the top of the resort. If you were to ever say East Vail in a skiing context, most would assume the sidecountry, not the neighborhood. It's become synonymous with the sidecountry. Whether or not it's the name of a neighborhood is irrelevant, imo. If you say 'Pitkin Drainage near Vail' its completely unambiguous and obvious what you're talking about. You don't need to add 'East' in front - all that does is completely confuse people.

The take home point here is that clearly if everyone had their naming conventions straight these guys totally would never have gotten caught in this slide.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The take home point here is that clearly if everyone had their naming conventions straight these guys totally would never have gotten caught in this slide.
    I laughed. The geographic truth is that both the ev run and the northside drainage are the same, just separated by a highway. In the winter, Pitkin is the default term for the line, but in summer it flip flops. In both seasons they are both referred to as East Vail.

Putting the word trailhead in front, or chute aft, eliminates most all confusion. I'm not in town right now so I don't know the details, but that guy got a special speedy scenic free ride to go with his prior one.

Ev nomenclature has always been a peeve of mine. 100% safety related.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Criccos crew? Only a handful of people used to ski across the highway back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by media310 View Post
    Criccos crew? Only a handful of people used to ski across the highway back in the day
    It's the new watertower.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    My point is that saying a slide was in East Vail very much implies its accessed from the top of the resort. If you were to ever say East Vail in a skiing context, most would assume the sidecountry, not the neighborhood. It's become synonymous with the sidecountry. Whether or not it's the name of a neighborhood is irrelevant, imo. If you say 'Pitkin Drainage near Vail' its completely unambiguous and obvious what you're talking about. You don't need to add 'East' in front - all that does is completely confuse people.
    You should make a map and shit. Sell it on the EV bus for like 5 dollers. You'll be a thousandaire!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Ev nomenclature has always been a peeve of mine. 100% safety related.
    The king arthur's/ timber falls mix up has always bothered me. There's a book of photos with labels in PHQ. If a call goes out, they are gonna reference that book, so that is what we should call it.

Eeesh -- I'll admit I'm not familiar with Pitkin Creek. I read East Vail, saw no article in the Slide Zone, and posted.

Lindahl isn't wrong. A bit of an aggressive approach, but hey -- noobs like me gotta learn somehow.

I think "ignorance" would've been a better word than "stupidity", though.
    Last edited by dglove; 03-06-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    The king arthur's/ timber falls mix up has always bothered me. There's a book of photos with labels in PHQ. If a call goes out, they are gonna reference that book, so that is what we should call it.
    The worst is that they call Racquet, King's.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    The worst is that they call Racquet, King's.
    The worst is they call Marvins, then guess ...

You should know. How many folks know their exact CDC from their NBA.

You get my drift? Marv?

And that piece of shit in the patrol shack? Hell, 90% of what's left on that hill hasn't skied 1% of what we all do.

It's a farce. Granted, I'm not blaming anyone, and I don't expect anyone. But, given the traffic, some lines, besides the major ones, should have some names ferchrissake.

I know the Pitkin drainage like the back of my hand. For how many did "Skier's Peak" become a new point on their map?

What about Artist's Peak. We could go on. Where is StanWagon?

Shit happens. Shit goes down. But, think to yourself, when those folks were calling this one in, what terminology were they using to get their location through? I bet they said, "We went up from the Pitkin TH in East Vail, ascended up the ridge and dropped east towards the Gore." That helps. In a lot more ways than, "We're In Pitkin, We Need Help!".

Now, If I were to throw some EV lines, with a spiral TF and a Femur, and I threw out some chachi's name, would the result be the same?

Don't think so.

Bottom line, these are simple locations in a grid that you could map in a 3 mile square radius. The fact that the bro bras want to name every little tree shot just a few degrees off a named line, or so and so, wants to call his old shit "my _ line" I could give a fuck. Ego. I've skied your shit. I don't know what your shit is called, but I damned sure know where I am. So fuck you and your line, let's just agree that it's X..

I'll never forget when Seth got over his head a few years ago; Going past TIMBER FALLS, towards GOLDEN PEAK, and got fucked in the tights. Now, how would you possible, even with the words I just described, get some fat mountain rescue folks to find your cliffed out (even for him) line, to them?

Even with GPS, they would be like, "what? that can't be right!"

We all look and ski those lines. Shit, it might even take a small rap, but, goddamn, you could be 300' above a condo, and you couldn't describe where you were to anyone. Even if you were lucid enough to make a phone call, yet alone get your bro bra on the line to explain that its that little tight line after that skin to ...

Now, saying that, the Gore is distinct. Pitkin, Buffer, Gore, Black, Red, are all known descriptors. Geography is intuitive and easily referenced for fat people with maps in a room with a topo. Stick with that. I have USGS topos for the area that go back from the first time they were scouted. I cherish the history of every exploration, and every iteration. I share this to you and everyone because it enriches the terrain with the history of folks who looked, as I did and do, for those nooks and crannies.

Now "East Vail"? C'mon. It's a tiny slice. From even east of Tuts to Golden Peak. Such a small area. If that can't be simply located, which it can't because of the "my line" problem. That becomes a big problem. And it goes further when you compare the skiing community with the ice climbing community.

There just needs to be a simple consensus for safety's sake.

Or not. I'll see you all on Z prime.

spook Guest
    tl:dr

lindahl seems like a wad though

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    tl:dr

lindahl seems like a wad though
    I think he's broke himself again. Might account for his atypical response

Yeah, I've suddenly found myself with a lot of free time again.

And yeah, naming consensus in EV and getting the right map in the hands of patrol is something thats been talked about a lot. A few of the crews have been chatting about it for a while now. Though, I find GPS to be the best option when it comes to injury/incident.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I think he's broke himself again. Might account for his atypical response
    damn did he huck an 11 footer in high performance atomic backlands bedroom slippers?
    those are only good for 10'ers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Is this a thread about an avalanche?

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    Is this a thread about an avalanche?
    Self preservation is a skill developed in regards to avies as well as other things .......