Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Repair for a jacket tear?

I have one of MiCol's Antero jackets which I truly love. It has been bombproof in my bushwacking through the tighter trees of SoVT until this weekend.

I managed to tear the outer fabric on one of the sleeves. About 1 CM long, not through the waterproof layer in between the outer and inner layers.

Any guidance on how best to repair?

Thnx in advance.

did you ask micol?

I fix tears in 3 layer gortex with aquaseal but you are only thru 1 of 3 layers?

I tape the outside together with masking tape, fix from the inside with a dab of AQS, a piece of thin backer material cover the AQS/patch with saran wrap and roll it flat with a beer bottle

or use a wine bottle if you want to be classy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I sew my patches. If you don't have a sewing machine, Tenacious Tape works well

Sail tape or spinnaker tape. Works on kites and tents too. Spinnaker tape even comes in colors. I use these guys. A bit unsightly but waterproof and holds up exceptionally well. I don't leave home without it.

I'm with XXX-er. If I think of it, I'll post a picture of my aquaseal fix on a pair of Goretex pants from a few years ago. Probably 8-10 inches long - looks almost like it was done at the factory. I've had people comment about the "pattern" on one leg. . . why not the other? If you're patient, you can make it look and work just fine.

I have a jacket with about a 2-3 inch patch on the sleeve. Only glued the inside on this one, but it has worked great for almost 8 years.

Seth

that IS what you do you ONLY put AQS on the inside, I only tape the outside to hold the edges together while i do the repair, if I am careful and the colors are dark the glued area is fairly invisible, i also do these repairs on dry suits and AQS is a waterproof fix

sometimes I will glue a crest or patch over the repair, I have a Canadian flag over a huge rip from tree skiing, I did get some criticism over the "jackrabbit fast events" patch I put over a hole becuz it was pointed out ... I hadn't actualy earned the patch

The tear on my pants was larger than I felt comfortable with with one side only. To each his own. I guess I didn't read the "aquaseal your garments" manual...can you send me a link? :-)

It sounds as if your rip is small, and many of the other suggestions are appropriate.

Just in case however, I'm about to find out how good Rainy Pass (Washington State) is. According to their website (http://rainypass.com/), they do warranty work for some manufacturers.

They seemed to have their act together, so I decided to take a chance on a pants repair. Perhaps someone else can comment.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Just in case however, I'm about to find out how good Rainy Pass (Washington State) is. According to their website (http://rainypass.com/), they do warranty work for some manufacturers.
    Rainy Pass repaired my Arcteryx climbing shell after I stabbed a hole through it with an ice axe. (Long story.) They do excellent work. Highly recommended. The repair was perfectly color-matched and seam sealed. I felt that their price was reasonable, too.

Lots of great suggestions, thanks all.

The tear is only through the outer layer so I can't repair from the inside.

Cheap way -- if you don't care how it looks...ripstop or goretex repair tape. Stick it on...roll it between your fingers to make sure its tight with no bubbles and done. I have done sleeping bags, tents, shorts with this and works well.

More expensive way -- send it to Rainy Pass. They do repairs for big gear companies and seem to be pretty great at it.

JT

fkn tape ducks to it, they are very water repelers
    watch out for snakes

Tenacious Tape isn't very durable in my experience (cracks apart eventually); better to stick with cheap duct/gorilla tape and replace when it starts to peel.

For glue, I'm back on Evo Stik Serious Glue inside and out (cheaper and a little thicker than SeamGrip) for everything from small cuts in pant cuffs to big stuff, eg. this 3x4" jacket tear last week:

I've used the McNett patches and tape to repair outer layer tears. They make some out of gore-tex.

Cut a piece to fit and slip it between layers, glue side out (towards the tear). Then iron from the outside so the rip seals closed.

It I don't mind what it looks like, I've ironed a second patch to the outside.

IME if you can get at the inside of a piece to do all the repair you don't need anything on the outside so if you tape the edges of a rip together very carefuly the rip will stay stuck together and the repair will be quite un-noticable

K Tape- nylon repair tape. Super light, worked great for patching the plethora of little holes I put in my nano puff when a firework misfired. Fabric seems water resistant, although I have not tested that.
    "Nothing like a very, very amorous woman in a leg imobilizer who dozes off every 3 1/2 minutes."
    -Notchtop

Here are those pictures of my pants. Did this with Aquaseal and a match stick to keep the bead small.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425616205.152971.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	164869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425616219.204187.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	676.7 KB 
ID:	164870

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    Goop.
    Goop comes in various flavors, but appears to all be the same stuff. Any idea if it is?
    Any difference between marine goop and shoe goo, for example?

Also- I used to use aquaseal quite a bit. Kept some Cotol thinner around, which made it easier to work with, and I found thinner repairs to hold up better, as they flex better. Any equivalent thinner work with Goop?

A tip for working with Aquaseal/goop type stuff: Use it warm. 10 minuts in a mug of hot water seems to work.

Craft GOOP® contains a thinner formula for precise, detailed work. Amazing Goop®, Wood & Furniture ®, Automotive GOOP®, Household GOOP® and Plumbing GOOP® are all the same formula. Lawn & Garden GOOP®, Marine GOOP®, RV GOOP® and Sport and Outdoor GOOP® are all UV-resistant. Shoe GOO® is a more rubbery formula allowing for greater flexibility.

Needle and thread.......

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Tenacious Tape isn't very durable in my experience
    IME, TT stays on longer than duck tape or Gorillia Tape. TT is lighter and more pliable too.

TT also works as a sew-on patch cuz it stays put while sewing. Cover stitches afterwards with seam seal.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Here are those pictures of my pants. Did this with Aquaseal and a match stick to keep the bead small.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425616205.152971.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	804.4 KB 
ID:	164869Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425616219.204187.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	676.7 KB 
ID:	164870
    Good job, looks ^^about right but does that mean you did that skinny bead on the outside with the matchstick? I never put anything on the outside except the tape to hold it in place during the AQS cure so I don't get the shinny bead, I do use some backing on the inside which can be very thin ristop nylon or used dryer anti-static sheets work great.

See how the fix is a little lumpy on the inside, when I put saran wrap over top and roll it out with a bottle the backing/the outside material/ the AQS everything becomes a nice flat lamination, the saran keeps the AQS off your hands. just pull the saran off after 24hrs and if some sticks don't worry it will eventualy wear off

keep the tube in a jar in the freezer will make it last longer for fixing gloves/loose velrco patches whatever you can think of, 15min in a cup of boiling water the tube is thawed and more runny that room temp

I do this fix on a lot of drysuits along with replacing latex seals for cases of beer, its a waterproof fix and i have never had a repair fail

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    See how the fix is a little lumpy on the inside, when I put saran wrap over top and roll it out with a bottle the backing/the outside material/ the AQS everything becomes a nice flat lamination, the saran keeps the AQS off your hands. just pull the saran off after 24hrs and if some sticks don't worry it will eventualy wear off
    I mask around the repair area, apply glue then swipe over the whole thing with a piece of cardboard with just a little pressure, then take the masking tape off before letting it set. Gives a nice even spread.