Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cverellen View Post
    Isn't that the big change with the radical 2.0, it has a flexing heel piece so to me unless you need 12+ "din" setting then the radical is all you need. If I'm wrong please correct
    The more recent radicals already had this mostly crap feature... and wear out prematurely because of it.

Unless the 2.0s have a less jankily engineered flexing heel..? Edit: I see that heel post now sits on a track in base plate rather than directly on topsheet... but that otherwise jankyness remains
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I've got some Vertical STs with 120 brakes and I'd like to trade them for 105mm brakes if possible. Are the Vertical and Radical brakes interchangeable?
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Mudfoot View Post
    I've got some Vertical STs with 120 brakes and I'd like to trade them for 105mm brakes if possible. Are the Vertical and Radical brakes interchangeable?
    You can switch the arms themselves after pulling them out from the different mechanisms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

https://andrewcouncellmountainguide....-wider-brakes/

Rad and Vert brakes are not interchangeable but its pretty easy to pull the brake apart and swap arms or put a set of Salomon guardian arms in there which are way cheaper if you don't already have dynafit arms, this^^ link could help you a bit

or just mount the 120 arms on a 105 ski and bend the arms inwards/toe the brake ends inward
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I went with the 105s... I remembered seeing stuff about how Dynafit brakes fit close to 10mm up from their spec'd size without bending, so figured it'd be better to do a little bending out at some point if I get a 116mm ski than having a pair of 120mm (closer to 130) pant/boot/bush catchers sticking off the side of my 106mm skis that I own now.

Smart choice, imo

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    I went with the 105s... I remembered seeing stuff about how Dynafit brakes fit close to 10mm up from their spec'd size without bending, so figured it'd be better to do a little bending out at some point if I get a 116mm ski than having a pair of 120mm (closer to 130) pant/boot/bush catchers sticking off the side of my 106mm skis that I own now.
    actualy a stock dfit brake arm angles out side ways quite a bit which reduces the effective ness (which isnt great anyhow) so its easy to bend them at the 90 degree to stick straight downwards and then toe the ends in so the ends tuck in MORE than stock with a bend inwards just above the plastic brake and the brake will clear the ski/deploy nicer than stock

so imo/ime when you are buying D-fits just go wide and bend in, I should add the caveat that i am not sure about the rad 2.0 brakes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Anyone seen a comparo re: Rad2.0 v. Kingpin v. B16 v. B14?

I've seen this on Kingpin v. B16 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...63#post4304463

And this on Kingpin v. B16 v. TLTspeed https://gravitypowered.wordpress.com...fit-speed-tlt/

These would go on Protests and maybe my BCs (inserts).

Curious about comparisons on:
    - how they ski!
    - ramp angle (Rad2.0 has an even higher ramp angle than Rad1.0 - wtf?)
    - toe elasticity (how is the Kingpin's toe? Toe appears to be traditional inelastic tech toe. What about the Rad2.0 v. B14 v. B16? Rad2.0 looks same as B14.)
    - heel retention (comparison among all)
    - heel complexity (why is B16 more complex than B14/Rad2.0?)

All the touring/changeover stuff seems straightforward and not interesting. I wanna know how they ski.
    Last edited by meter-man; 08-26-2015 at 01:35 PM.
    sproing!

^^^ On the ramp angle issue, easy enough fix is to mount Sollyfit plate front and inserts rear.

No opinion on other questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    - toe elasticity (how is the Kingpin's toe? Toe appears to be traditional inelastic tech toe. What about the Rad2.0 v. B14 v. B16? Rad2.0 looks same as B14.)
    The Kingpin only has the "traditional" lateral elasticity in the toe. That is, it works by the pin slipping out of the fitting, just like most traditional tech bindings. Supposedly, it has much more vertical elasticity however. I think someone on wildsnow cited 16mm vertically. I'm not sure if Marker advertises that.

The B14, Rad2.0, and B16 all have lateral elasticity via a rotating toe piece, more like an alpine binding.
    JigaRex Universal Ski Mounting Jig

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    The Kingpin only has the "traditional" lateral elasticity in the toe. That is, it works by the pin slipping out of the fitting, just like most traditional tech bindings. Supposedly, it has much more vertical elasticity however. I think someone on wildsnow cited 16mm vertically. I'm not sure if Marker advertises that.

The B14, Rad2.0, and B16 all have lateral elasticity via a rotating toe piece, more like an alpine binding.
    Seems to me that Marker would have nailed it had they included a rotating toe piece or some type of toe piece that had real elasticity. But maybe that would run contrary to the design of the heel piece.
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anyone seen a comparo re: Rad2.0 v. Kingpin v. B16 v. B14?

I've seen this on Kingpin v. B16 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...63#post4304463

And this on Kingpin v. B16 v. TLTspeed https://gravitypowered.wordpress.com...fit-speed-tlt/

These would go on Protests and maybe my BCs (inserts).

Curious about comparisons on:
    - how they ski!
    - ramp angle (Rad2.0 has an even higher ramp angle than Rad1.0 - wtf?)
    - heel retention (comparison among all)
    - heel complexity (why is B16 more complex than B14/Rad2.0?)

All the touring/changeover stuff seems straightforward and not interesting. I wanna know how they ski.
    Although Dynafit claims the ramp angle on the Rad2.0 is fairly high, it's been measured to be barely more than the Beast 14, which is quite low: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111953
    (Beast 14 is like 6mm for a 27.5 Mercury, that guy measured 7.5mm for Rad2.0).

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    Although Dynafit claims the ramp angle on the Rad2.0 is fairly high, it's been measured to be barely more than the Beast 14, which is quite low: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=111953
    (Beast 14 is like 6mm for a 27.5 Mercury, that guy measured 7.5mm for Rad2.0).
    Great link. Thanks.
    sproing!

The delta angle on the Kingpins (with Mercury/Vulcan boots) is 13.5mm. The Dynafit Beast 16 & 14 is 6mm & the Rad 2 ST/FT is 7.5-9mm (measured off varoius pre-production bindings). My Rad 2 stock is arriving in a few weeks so I'll be able to measure the production binding then

More delta measurements here:
    http://skimo.co/pin-heights
    (Don't expect entries for the Beast or Kingpin, but Radical 2.0 and Vipec should be added to the list eventually.)
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

I have a pair of skis previously mounted at my bsl for beast 14s. Do you think I can use radical 2.0 instead? I know the toes will be the same, I'm just worried about the heel pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroforhire View Post
    I have a pair of skis previously mounted at my bsl for beast 14s. Do you think I can use radical 2.0 instead? I know the toes will be the same, I'm just worried about the heel pattern.
    There's no conflict with a Beast 14 heel & a Rad 2 heel.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    There's no conflict with a Beast 14 heel & a Rad 2 heel.
    Thanks!

Does the 2.0 have the same mounting template as the originals??

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    Does the 2.0 have the same mounting template as the originals??
    No

My new Radical 2.0s came to Vermont!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4x0493thp...20am.jpeg?dl=0

anyone else in the states get them yet?

I just came back from first time out with Radical ST 2.0 on my skis and with a friend who had them too.

Both pairs failed:
    • His were missing a brake lock tab, so the brake had to be held up with cord in walk mode,
    • Mine had a defective spring mechanism on one and let go on the first turn in some super surface hoar, the ski went straight to the bottom, and I had to struggle on one ski in that delicious snow!

I've been fighting with Dynafit ever since.

It looks like they will send 2 new pairs, which is almost fair, but would not be if I had been killed on a steep face instead of just saddened by the lost powder...

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

Anyone think the FT 2 is better than the ST 2?

By the way, for info, the Radical ST 2 and FT use the same mounting jig, which is NOT the same as the previous Radical ST.

Ciao,
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by gratefulfrog View Post
    I just came back from first time out with Radical ST 2.0 on my skis and with a friend who had them too.

Both pairs failed:
    • His were missing a brake lock tab, so the brake had to be held up with cord in walk mode,
    • Mine had a defective spring mechanism on one and let go on the first turn in some super surface hoar, the ski went straight to the bottom, and I had to struggle on one ski in that delicious snow!
    Just to be clear, did the brake lock tab fall off during use or was it just missing from the get-go? If the latter, that should have been noticed during mounting. And what spring mechanism failed, toe or heel, and could the binding be used at all?

Shitty! How long will you be without use of your skis?

I just bought Radical 2s last week, to replace some defective Ions. Worked great for me, but only two days of touring so far.

I've got 4 days on the Radical 2, and am seriously concerned about the brake lock thing. It's a colossal pain in the ass to go into walk mode compared to the old Radical. There's so little overlap between the 2 tabs, I feel like it's bound to break eventually.