Bonafide vs Mantra Length

I'm skiing a 180cm bonafide right now and like them. I found the 187cm to be too much ski for me. I'm going to be renting skis on a trip next month and am planning to demo the Mantas. I can't decide if I should go 184cm or 177. Any advice?

you'll demo so you don't have to decide, easy demo both sizes!

How tall and fat are you?

new mantra skis short as fuck. 184. Its pretty bland IMO, not the same as the old mantra, which was not the same as the Explosive. oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    How tall and fat are you?
    Dude is most likely 5' 9" , 196 lbs.

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/ar...s-body/280194/

6'1" and 190, but close.

I was asking in comparison to the bonafide because the general rule for this forum seems to be: run the longest length they make and complain about how it isn't enough ski. I'm just hoping to demo something a little more surfy than the bonafide, but it will be at a european resort, so i'm not sure how much variety there will be.

True, ask TGR or the ladies and they'll tell you the same thing....size matters. Personally, I didn't find the Mantra "surfy". The Atomic Automatics on the other hand....

http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...omic-automatic

I'm 5'10", 180 and the 186's were perfect. I would think you would be able to find these in Euroland.

Surfy is not the first adjective I would use to describe the Manta. Or the 2nd through 20th adjectives. Its pretty much the opposite of surfy.

good to know. Not sure why i was thinking they were more playful than the bonifides.

If you are on the new Full rockered mantra then 184cm will be closer the 180cm Bonafide, and the old 177cm felt about the same lenght.

Quote Originally Posted by tavis View Post
    6'1" and 190, but close.
    184cm rockered Mantra for you.

The 177 Mantra is actually almost identical length to a 180 Kabookie (both are close to 178cm true tape measure) which should be same as 180cm Bonafide. That said I tried the 177 Mantra last Friday since I broke the binding toe piece on my Cochise. Very fun in trees and very nimble, but I agree with XavierD - they feel short as fuck in open spaces. Not half as good as the 185 Cochise I have in crud.

Yup, new Mantra skis short. Go with the 184. I have skied the Bonafide in 180 and 187. The 187 felt super awkward to me from a length perspective even though that length generally is right in my wheelhouse. Don't let your experience with the 187 Bonafide worry you, the 184 Mantra will be fine.
    "You don't want to run into me on the tram dock. I went to jail. I have an inclinometer, and a friend of a friend who's a lawyer. Why do you have to be such a hater? I was just trying to post some stoke." The Suit

"I demoed the Davenport 2 weeks ago, I really liked them a lot... the blue sidewalls and tip really looked great with my pants. I also tried the '11 MX98, they didn't look as good with my outfit. If you have blue pants or maybe some Lange race boots I recommend you check them out."

No new threads. 5 year bump. Tangential question

I have a pair of like 16/17? Full rocker 184 mantras. I took binders off to swap to my preferred clamp and then while they’ve been sitting flat have been contemplating moving on from them. I really love them. Love the full rocker and feel they are my last connection to all time favorite katanas. But with them being unmourned sort of felt like a time to try an m5 (great deals) bonafide (great deals), b97 or M6. Is this a mistake? all of those skis have camber so that’s a change, but from those who had the 100 underfoot katana light mantras of the mid 2000-teens, have you moved to the above skis and been happy? Miss the old ones? Are the new ones just better, I’m a full rocker fan so that’s something...
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

I thought the "m4" mantra was a badass ski. Like you said, a skinny Katana. Most people either didn't understand that or want that. Reverse camber isn't for everybody but if you have the technique for it they can do all sorts of shit really well. The camber/rocker profile of the newer skis is more of a blend of standard and reverse camber and shares a lot of traits with both. Pretty cool actually. But, for certain situations, predominantly off-piste, I think the m4 will be better than the newer versions. Back to that skinny Katana concepts. I'd keep them until you can demo the new shit and then decide if they still fit into you quiver.

If you do decide to sell them send me a ping, might be interested

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Thomas View Post
    I thought the "m4" mantra was a badass ski. Like you said, a skinny Katana. Most people either didn't understand that or want that. Reverse camber isn't for everybody but if you have the technique for it they can do all sorts of shit really well. The camber/rocker profile of the newer skis is more of a blend of standard and reverse camber and shares a lot of traits with both. Pretty cool actually. But, for certain situations, predominantly off-piste, I think the m4 will be better than the newer versions. Back to that skinny Katana concepts. I'd keep them until you can demo the new shit and then decide if they still fit into you quiver.

If you do decide to sell them send me a ping, might be interested
    Good deal. Pulling the binders off to replace made me realize they are pretty sweet and in good shape. Will follow advice.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.