Will the rise of The Chinese in Snow boarding hurt the sport

After catching the Snow Board half pipe show and found myself contemplating the rise of China. I always have loved the Tour de France, but I was an outlier. Then Lance came along and the whole thing sky rocketed in popularity. I wonder if Chinese guys and gals winning these events will hurt. I know the marketing reps will say how many billions live in China and it's an untapped market, but my impression there is that a lot of people are just trying to get fed while a very few are very rich. Not a lot of people overly concerned about the first world problems of which board to buy and which resort to ski. Interested in the perspective a few of you industry types on this new development?

Wait, snowboarding is a sport?

Sorry, couldn't help myself Carry on, please.

Did you think this out before you posted it?

How is having more skiers/snowboarders globally going to hurt snowboarding as a sport?

Rich people are the only ones who can afford skiing anymore anyways.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2014/1...uerque-journal
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Yeah. This thread = no sense.

The Chinese f-up everything they touch...at least for the rest of the world. Why would this be any different?
    Gravity. It's the law.

I don't know zhang's background, but if the Chinese start winning by throwing washed-out gymnasts at the sport like they did in freestyle aerials, I could see that being an indication that the sport has become over-specialized and overly-professional. That could be a turnoff to people who love smoking weed and hucking it out. But I don't see how it kills the tv ratings for the Olympics and the x games: most of that tv audience probably doesn't ski anyways.

My point, while poorly articulated, was that it isn't a one for one trade. I believe the industry needs the image and they need the American market. If Zhang replaces White, I'm not sure it ends well for the industry. On a side note, I see the kids who used to go to snow boarding gravitating back to skiing. The vast majority of the park today is back on two planks rather than one.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    My point, while poorly articulated, was that it isn't a one for one trade. I believe the industry needs the image and they need the American market. If Zhang replaces White, I'm not sure it ends well for the industry. On a side note, I see the kids who used to go to snow boarding gravitating back to skiing. The vast majority of the park today is back on two planks rather than one.
    It seems like they need people buying snowboards, regardless of who they are.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Snowboarding has been losing market share for years. Peak snowboarding was probably with people who are 30 years old now. Ski schools have had to do serious re-staffing. We will see if tv exposure keeps snowboarding from a telemark sized niche, but it is no longer a big share of young people.

I think you mean to ask if the sport will be hurt in north america, which is a completely different question from "will the sport be hurt?" in general. it's like saying - "will the new samsung smartphone cut into the iphone's stranglehold on the market.?" it's not a question that reflects the global reality.

what percentage of snowboard sales come from North America?

what percentage of snowboard sales come from North America?
    welp, if the stats are to be believed, and you wanna imagine participants and sales are close to the same number (couldn't find sales figures, only participants) about 25%.
    this
    plusthis

plus the fact that Beijing is considered by many to be the front runner to host the 2022 winter olympics, basically tells you that Europeans currently make up the largest number of people who slide on snow in any form but the asian market in snow sports (like in everything else) is growing and has the potential to grow A LOT more.

So you're saying that just because America doesn't have the top athlete that the sport as a whole will suffer in America? I say absolutely not. White is an incredible athlete and he's no doubt inspired a buch of pipe riders but I seriously doubt he's had any infulence on 99.9% of the snowboarding populous and the .1% he has truly inspired would be riding even if he wasn't who he is. Now the x-games attendance may be a different story.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    only if you equate spinny jibby hucky kids on gaytrays and piles of manmade/moved snow or anyone who would emulate such soyness as being needed for the future of the snowsports industries
    than jah i'm a "ski" tech and plan on skiing amap reguardless of the cough "industry" or hack "sport"
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Skichina.com

My gf is a Chinese snowboarder

If they snowboard as well as they drive then we're all doomed
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Maybe it will encourage more impromptu chinese downhills? which I approve of

What the fuck is a Chinese downhill?

Quote Originally Posted by axebiker View Post
    The Chinese f-up everything they touch...at least for the rest of the world. Why would this be any different?
    Own a smartphone? Computer? Buy new tires lately? Wear clothes?

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Own a smartphone? Computer? Buy new tires lately? Wear clothes?
    Wait until they get hold of GPS.

From the Italians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

What is a Chinese downhill?

Take a lap

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    What is a Chinese downhill?

Take a lap

Killing it with the 3-5 year old crowd!
    "What da fucka Chinese downhill?!?" [\Rascist Chinese accent]

Both of u take a lap (perhaps a Chinese fire drill? )
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

How about you two young fucks hike a rail for your lap...I didnt know how to type all racist!

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    "What da fucka Chinese downhill?!?" [\Rascist Chinese accent]

Both of u take a lap (perhaps a Chinese fire drill? )
    That never gets old haha
    although I always thought Kendo was japanese?