Lengthening the tail on STS skins?

Hey,

I have a pair of ascension skins that are probably one inch shorter than they need to be to fit properly on my new skis. I have stretched the tip loop add far Wide as it will go (has the plastic BD adjustable thing) add the tail clip is in the last position. I CAN stretch it far enough, but it's tight and I'm concerned about tearing out the rivets. It looks like I may be able to cut another slot, but it's also possible that it's fine as is.

Anybody have a similar situation and had good success, or am I bound to ruin these things?

SethClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1425226203.228939.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	701.5 KB 
ID:	164655

You can cut another slot. A buddy has been running his that way for a while. Looks like its still gonna be a good stretch though. Cut another and maybe file in a skin notch, too?

I assume you got the BD adjustable tip loops which means you could unfold whatever skin you had folded over a fixed tip loop for more length?

You could also extend the skin length at the front by sewing a piece of WIDE webbing to the front end of the skin which you then clamp the adjustable tip loop into ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've done both of XXXer's proposed fixes: (a) lengthening old skins by replacing the old foldover tip with the new screw-on tip (available from BD) and (b) sewing wide webbing to front of skin. If you do (b) find somebody with an industrial sewing machine or hand sew it.

Cutting an extra slot might work okay for mid-winter conditions but IME STS tails adjusted long suck for PNW spring/summer touring after the first lap when skin glue gets less sticky. The old inelastic BD Clipfix rules for those conditions. Prolly not an issue for interior west tourists who don't tour after April.

I was thinking of extending mine with another tail with a couple zip ties. I have an old broken tail attachment that I'll cut in half. Should be enough for a few cm's
    They are super wide skis/tips so I have the widest bail but I managed to have one hole left on tip adjust. I will move the tip attach ball out to final hole so the tip attach slides farther down the ski at the tip and also add a short tail extend with the broken tail attachment and zzippties. New skis are 10 cm longer and bd tail adjust only good for I think 8 cm

Thanks guys.

These skins have the screw on tips, so unless BD (or I, I've considered this also) makes a longer tip loop, I'm adjusted all the way out on the tips.

I'll give the extra slot a shot. That part of the tail is rockered, so I don't think I'll see any sort of performance hit. I like having some tension on that strap, but this feels like it might be too much.

Thanks!

Seth
    Last edited by sethschmautz; 03-01-2015 at 04:22 PM.

Hmm... Those XXXL tip loops are the ones that came on my skins. I've asked BD if they cab build me a custom set (not holding my breath).

Anybody have any experience with swaging? Are those ball ends pretty standard? I think I could get the coated cable at Home Depot.

Seth

You could just make some tip loops out of coat hanger or sft but you have thot about how if those tip loops are too big they will slide down the ski right ?

maybe add these on the end? possibly. could be a win win. extension and retention
    http://www.mec.ca/product/5024-918/g...10+50006+50644

The tip of the RPC widens for quite a while before getting to the widest point. I'm not sure how much wider I need it (general measurements were about 21.5cm (that looks long now that I write it. . . ) from one ball to the other. It looks like I could extend it a bit more before running into the problem that you mention.

Grinch, were you thinking that those go on the tail strap? Hmm. . . interesting.

Seth

Grinch, were you thinking that those go on the tail strap? Hmm. . . interesting.

Seth[/QUOTE]

I swear by bd skins but lately I've been looking to add those somehow. you'd probably have to make a couple holes in your bd tail straps but they'd be smaller/stronger holes I think

Yeah thats true I used to have wailer 112's and the 5 point design puts the widest part quite a way from the tip

that TT tail hook from G3 works really well but the tail is still not long enough

i would still sew some super wide webbing into the tip

Take a voile strap , grind/cut out metal piece ( don't just chop it off)
    replace short strap with voile choose proper hole for length put tail hook in desired hole (may have to large width on hole.
    It works done it for people in same scenario

Quote Originally Posted by dacksdescents View Post
    Take a voile strap , grind/cut out metal piece ( don't just chop it off)
    replace short strap with voile choose proper hole for length put tail hook in desired hole (may have to large width on hole.
    It works done it for people in same scenario
    I was going to suggest this

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Yeah thats true I used to have wailer 112's and the 5 point design puts the widest part quite a way from the tip

that TT tail hook from G3 works really well but the tail is still not long enough

i would still sew some super wide webbing into the tip
    This is gold. Thanks.

Quick update. I bought the XXXL tip loops as recommended by BD. When installed and at assisted to their absolutely shortest length, they were actually longer than I anticipated and put the skin forget back than I wanted.

BD sent me out a new pair free of charge because they recommended the wrong size which should arrive soon. I have no doubt that this will solve the problem. They told me that I didn't have to return the others (I put the others up for sale prior to offering to send me a smaller pair) but I am going to send them back anyway.

As an aside, BD has always taken great care of me with any sort of warranty item. Makes me A loyal customer.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Seth