Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

192cm Praxis Protest Option

Been chatting back and forth with Keith at Praxis Skis recently. He said if we could get 6 guys total to commit to buying some 191-192cm Protests he'd throw them into the lineup for next year. PM me/post here if you (or a non-forum using friend) is in and we can get this rolling. With this first run they should all be able to have custom flex,core layup, base graphics, and top-sheet graphics, just like the normal pre-sale skis.

Should be around 9.6~ lbs a pair with the normal glass core layup, 9.4 lbs carbon-hybrid layup, 8.9 lbs Ultra Light Core.

The skis would be ordered in Spring and made during the summer same as all his normal pre-sale skis (not on the website yet). Cost should be $580-$600. If you've never bought a Praxis ski from his website before, I can give you a 15% off coupon code, which should bring the price down to around $500, which is a fantastic deal for a basically fully custom ski, which also happens to be one of the best all around powder skis on the market.

I'd assume that his normal pay 1/2 of the cost now, and the rest in July would be on as well.

Would be a nice option for those guys like me who feel in between the 187 and 196 sizes.

Link to skis: http://www.praxisskis.com/products/2015-protest.html

Good review of the ski here: http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...praxis-protest

So far we have 5 people who want a pair for sure. So we only need 1 more person and its on.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 03-21-2015 at 02:05 PM.

Have you skied both sizes?

No... Unfortunately I don't know people with both sizes or have the cash to buy both and see which one I prefer.

Going off my past experiences with various pow skis, and my current quiver, 192 would just fit in better for me. I wouldn't be overly concerned going either of the other sizes but I'd rather just have the compromise between the two. Little more float and stability than 187, little quicker and lighter than the 196s.

If you can't have both, why not split the difference?

196 protest is amazeballs though
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I skied the 187 last year, killer ski, and never wanted a longer ski. Granted I was at a smaller ski resort, Schweitzer. I never had any concerns at warp speed or slow speeds in the trees. They pivot just fine when on tight trees yet would just let me point them in more open terrain. They only time I could see me wanting the 196, would be at bigger resorts, like Big Sky. I have yet to get on the 196, so who knows. I would feel right at home on the 187 at a bigger hill though. 5'10" 195 for reference. I do understand the gap filler @192.

Is the super cheap custom topsheet and layup business in the spring sale an option?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Maybe? Shoot Keith and email, not sure.

Nobody is interested? Would of thought a few people would want one that size.

For anyone who hasn't taken the Praxis plunge it's a great opportunity - with the spring presale the skis should be $580-$600, and I can shoot you a 15% off code to bring it down to $500~ for a completely custom ski more or less.

I just bought 187s in last summer's presale. I would have bought 192 in a heartbeat. I don't think I can justify it now, especially since I've had only one day on my 187s so far. But count me as a maybe for now, I'd consider throwing tech bindings on my 187s and ordering 192s for Guardians...

I would probably pick up a pair

I'd be interested in a pair as well

I'd be in for sure if i had the dough, absolutely adore my 187's but if I had the option I'd of gone 192 without question! Couldn't be happier with what I have no question, but if I were considering a new pair, I'd be all in
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

So that's a "I'm not in" eskido? haha

Sounds good adrenalated- hopefully we'll be able to get more than six anyways. You could always list those for sale and see if they sell beforehand, or if there's interest in them.

This really is a ski Keith should build. I am not in as I have some 190 pow boards that only have 1 day on them due to California winters. Had older 188 protests, liked them but always wished they were a bit longer. 196 is a big step.

I think Keith must have been thinking about it beforehand, 6 pair isn't a lot. 192 is a pretty ideal length for a big powder ski like this for most people I think.

Total stands at 3 pairs now, 4 if you include adrenalated. Just a few more and we should be all set to go.

Edit 8:45 pm- Possibly have another taker, so that makes it 1/2 pairs to go! Getting excited...

Question is which topsheet.... Buck's Beach perhaps. Though the standard option is pretty nice.
    Last edited by Muggydude; 03-02-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    So that's a "I'm not in" eskido? haha

Sounds good adrenalated- hopefully we'll be able to get more than six anyways. You could always list those for sale and see if they sell beforehand, or if there's interest in them.
    Sadly, yup. Wish I could get in on this though, fully support the idea!

I'm not in either.... but I would buy a 192 Protest for my next pow stick once my Bibbys die.

I haven't tried either size, but 187 seems small and 196 seems whoa big. 6, 190. 192 would be perfect. Blister guys (JE at 190#) thought the 187 was enough ski, but those guys are just Moment fanbois, so who knows what's true!

- signed, Moment fanboi #3417

I will be for sure in if three things happen:

1) I can get two more people to use my referral code, as this would bump me to the next discount bracket. So, if any of y'all are thinking of ordering skis now and want 30% off, PM me.
    2) I can find a tech binding pattern that won't conflict with my Guardian mount on my current 187s. Need to pull up an Ion template.
    3) Keith doesn't start making a long radius, mid 90s underfoot ski (ie, skinny Freeride). If he does, and the weight is 7lb or less in UL core, that would get my money first.

^^^ I'm going to mount some Ions on a pair of Vicik Tours that have already been drilled for a Guardian.

Lots of room to work with in the toe depending on BSLs/ +/- mount positions.

My Vicik was previousy drilled for a large Guardian @ an unknown BSL (I think @ 0).
    So that anecdotal evidence may or may not be helpful.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I'm not in either.... but I would buy a 192 Protest for my next pow stick once my Bibbys die.

I haven't tried either size, but 187 seems small and 196 seems whoa big. 6, 190. 192 would be perfect. Blister guys (JE at 190#) thought the 187 was enough ski, but those guys are just Moment fanbois, so who knows what's true!

- signed, Moment fanboi #3417
    The 187 is no floppy little noodle. I'm not as heavy as many of you or JE, at 6'1 x 170, but I ski mostly fast, open terrain (see pics below).

In all my time on my 187s (stock flex carbon), I've never thought it wasn't enough ski, i.e. they're capable at very high speeds, yet float and handle impeccably at lower speeds in Japanese trees/blower.

Yes, I would love to give the 196s a go on a perfect day at Craigieburn, but I have a feeling you'll need stupid big/steep terrain to make the most of them. Our runs are typically 1500-2000ft vert, 40-45% at the top - often through couloirs - then open up into 35%'ish wide open bowls. So a bit like Las Lenas on a slightly smaller scale.

If I skied tight North America trees there's be no doubt in my mind that the 187s are the go. If I were 190+ and skied Alaska or similar, I might possibly just contemplate something longer.

Trying to get across that they have a huge range, and that you don't have to man up and get something that might be too long.

Thanks for the post. Good info for sure. I know for me this would be more of a big day ski than a tight tree ski, I have two other 186cm~ mid-fat skis for days when I'm searching for hidden pow stashes and tight tree skiing. So for me I'm looking for something to crush things a little more, bigger drops, etc. where the extra length would be appreciated. The protest isn't a ski I "need," but who doesn't want to own a pair? Plus next year the plan is for my brother and I to hopefully take a few trips to Alaska, Japan, up North. This would/will be the ski I'll take, and at 192cm I think it should still be versatile.

Question for Protest owners- where are you guys mounted at? Does the "mount behind the line" Praxis theme apply for those who like a little more tip to drive? (i.e. I prefer -1cm on my GPOs to the line)? My thinking would be with the longer length I might be more inclined to to mount at the standard -8cm/dimple because of the extra length in front and behind.

On the dimple for me.
    They're not Wren/XXL/Garbone beasts that need driving/shin pressure. Let them run; shift pressure slightly forward to let tails drift (and drift and drift...), then load up the tails for instant acceleration across the fall line - that sort of thing.
    They ski real burly if you want, but do it with a gentle hand and reap ample rewards.

I went -1cm on my Protests. I'm at -2cm on GPOs. They feel good, but again, only 1 day so far.

On the dimple, they make anything soft and fresh stoopid easy! Definitely ski from the ball of the foot but you can load em up when you need to drive em but seriously they don't care, whatever you want they can do and then some... was on my carbons at the resort the other day and reinforced everything I said earlier, I don't think anyone here has argued how the different versions ski just obviously different touring/resort conditions. I agree wholeheartedly with the previous post regarding length, just no need for longer but as I said earlier I'd of picked up the 192 if I had the option and still would, but I wouldn't sell my 187's to save my mortgage, love em that much!! Sorry to drift, I would go on the dimple every time, can't imagine a better mount

-1.5cm on OG 188 Protest. They feel absolutely perfect - HUDGE sweet spot. You want to drive the tips? Go ahead, they will edge. You want to sit neutral and just cruise or maybe pivot them sideways? Go ahead. They will not grab, hook, or otherwise surprise you in any way. I have skied them on the biggest, steepest, scariest lines of my life in AK and in low angle, tight trees at the resort. I'm 6' 175lbs without gear and for me the 192 would just give a touch extra speed/stability in AK...but to be clear it is not required. They are just so damn easy to ski I'm thinking why not?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	464331_10150658682993091_1722714198_o.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	56.6 KB 
ID:	164783   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	474880_10150658658708091_1077763519_o.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	164784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	465896_10150658621483091_1779245424_o.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	164786