Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hardtail?

Hardtail?

So, I live next to a pretty easy trail network and have an Ibis Mojo (OG one, not hd or sl or whatever). I love the bike, but I'm thinking for sharpening skills and keeping things fun, I may want to pick up a hardtail (maybe single-speed?) to keep myself from getting bored.
    Am I stupid?
    Should I go 27.5 or 29er?
    I also have a small child, so basically my laps will either be after his bedtime or quick half-hour to hour rips.
    In New England, but network is pretty smooth. Would also likely be the bike I ride with my wife as I'm trying to get her into MTB but I'm way too fast on the Mojo.

I rode a rigid 29r for a while as an XC sled. Worked well and I was surprised the trails I could ride on it and how fast.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

for hardtail go 29 since the big wheel works well on HT for your lower back etc, but also because it's a big enough difference (as compared to 650Barney) from 26 on your Mojo to be a different bike/experience. even XC geo 29 ht can cover rough ground pretty smoothly and fast if you don't run CX tires on it. the locomotive momentum of the bigger wheel is sorta fun in its own way, but watch out for wheel tacos.

What trail network?

I also rode a rigid SS 29er for a while. I wouldn't reccomend it as a primary bike especially in NE, but I think it would be a fun bike for what you're describing. Forces you to charge up hills and pick clean lines. You'd be surprised at how fast you can bomb through easy-moderate singletrack with no suspension. They do have their limits, though. Stuff like washed out descents on loose rock that you just take your hands off the brakes and fly over on your squishy bike are absolutely miserable on a rigid. Still, seems like something you might look into, especially given how cheap they can be had.

I have a Canfield Nimble 9 set up 2x10 with a 120mm fork. It's a blast.
    Definitely look at Transition Trans Am in 27.5 or 29.
    Also, Diamondback Mason. Really.
    Kona Honzo. Possible aluminum/27.5 version.
    Pivot Les if you wanna go classy and $$$$
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    What trail network?
    Just kingman farm. Super mellow and somewhat limited, but the back of my cul-de-sac has a path right into it. Miiiggghhtttt have factored into my house purchase decision.

I loved my Yelli. Technically, I still do as the frame is hanging in my garage. Stopped riding it when my wife got in to hitting jumps and ripping downhill. Too painful for my four decades to do that on a HT, though it can hold its ground everywhere. The irony of your statement above is that my wife hated me riding the Yelli because I flew up any hill and never slowed down on the flats. She's much happier with me dragging ass on my 31 lb Chili.

Bored??? Go phat!!

"The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Lots of fun hardtails out there right now. I'll put a disclaimer on this as I work for the parent company but have a look at the deal Surly is running right now on the Instigator. Sale price on the frame and they are throwing in rims, tires and rimstrips for free. I bought a frame only last year and this blows away the deal I got on mine. Super fun bike and a great change of pace from my fully. Still very capable of getting rowdy though and can be built in a ton of different configurations. I built mine up with 27.5 because I had the wheel set already and at some point want to build up a set of the 26+ wheels for off season riding. Krampus is also a really fun bike if you are looking for bigger wheels. Here's the Instigator deal on FB. https://m.facebook.com/SurlyBikes/po...:0?__tn__=%2As

I ride a SS 26er HT in the winter mostly for the ease of maintenance and fun factor. I also have a 29er HT and do agree that a 29er is probably the best of the two for a HT.

Buy an older used 26" HT with nice components for cheap, people sell them cuz they wana go FS or 29 or whatever
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I would get a rigid as 29er. I haven't ridden at Kingman but have walked there and other than the hill over by the town hall I think it would be choice.

Looking at two HT's: a barely used Marin Pine Mountain 29'er HT and a new Jamis Dragon. Similar component levels. Better 120mm fork on the Jamis, and 27.+ pounds vs 31.+ pounds for the Marin. But...Marin=$550, Jamis=$1800. Get the Marin and a new fork and wheelset? Bit longer chainstay and slightly steeper head angle on the Marin, but i'm no fkn wizard on a bike....guessing it will be pretty ok...any insights welcome-
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

One word. Fat. Or maybe PHAT. Stop thinking about all of that other stuff. Got it? PHAT. Get it? Good.

If you've already got a full suspension trail bike, a 29er hardtail is a great second bike. I love my TransAM 29er, its simple, fast and very fun to ride. I often find myself riding my 29er hardtail more than my full suspension - its faster and more efficient. The beauty of a solid hardtail is that before every ride I just check the tire pressure and lube the chain - there's no shock to mess with, no flex and no creaks or clunks.

Have been riding a Surly Karate Monkey the past few years, rigid and SS but you can also throw some gears and a fork on there if you want. Meat and potato kind of rig but seems like that's what you're looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    One word. Fat. Or maybe PHAT. Stop thinking about all of that other stuff. Got it? PHAT. Get it? Good.
    This may be relevant...
    http://www.pinkbike.com/news/eddie-m...ideo-2015.html

But in all seriousness, check out On-One bikes out of the UK. Reasonably priced chromo frames and completes that are quite capable. They even make a 24" fat bike if you're into that sort of thing.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/
    Last edited by SHITACK; 03-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Looking at two HT's: a barely used Marin Pine Mountain 29'er HT and a new Jamis Dragon. Similar component levels. Better 120mm fork on the Jamis, and 27.+ pounds vs 31.+ pounds for the Marin. But...Marin=$550, Jamis=$1800. Get the Marin and a new fork and wheelset? Bit longer chainstay and slightly steeper head angle on the Marin, but i'm no fkn wizard on a bike....guessing it will be pretty ok...any insights welcome-
    what do you want to ride/do with the bike? trails off the pass? or riding to town to get a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what do you want to ride/do with the bike? trails off the pass? or riding to town to get a beer?
    got a sweet beer bike already. Flowy climby shit on this side mostly- rush hour, rick's basin, packsaddle...
    you still in these parts?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

got a sweet beer bike already. Flowy climby shit on this side mostly- rush hour, rick's basin, packsaddle...
    get the nicer, lighter bike, and dont have to dick around with upgrades etc. better for what you want (recreation, not transportation)

you still in these parts?
    I'm in bozeman right now, but I'll be coming into Driggs on tues PM, ski that busy place, on the other side of the pass on wed, stay wed night back in driggs, then off to SLC. Hoping to stay with homemadesalsa, but if she doesn't have room, can I stay with you?

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    Got a fancy squishy bike, ride my TransAm 90% of the time. If its hot laps on the town trails, its a no-brainer. But I also love it for long rides in the high country; forces you to be a bit more dynamic, so I have less back/shoulder/neck problems because I'm moving around more. After riding a bunch of really nice full suspension rigs, I will always have a slackish steel hardtail in the stable. Just too damn fun.

What most have said - a hardtail in addition to a squish bike is a nice thing. Mine still gets a lot of ride time.

The TRansAM line is great, and I'll echo whoever mentioned the On-One completes - you can get a pretty decent spec for not a ton of coin, and they have fairly neutral "do it all" geometries. Do 'em up with lighter or heavier duty tires and it can really alter their capabilities for different ride days.

Maybe see if any of your local shops have any closeout models? As someone else pointed out, you can probably score a sweet deal on a nicely done up used 26" ride if you're so inclined.

Unless you're set on the larger wheels, the 26" rig is nice because then you can swap wheels off your other ride if need be.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

I was leaning bigger for something different. Not many closeouts around here and already have 2 wheelsets kicking around that serve most purposes (Crossmax and a burly Ringle set)

I bought an On-One 450evo a couple springs ago. I've been very happy with it. You can get it with 650b wheels now. It's not a light bike, but the price is right, and it's a ton of fun to ride. They make some 29ers as well.