View Poll Results: Which Core Layup for Resort Pow Use?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fiberglass

23 65.71%
  • Fiberglass/Carbon Hybrid

10 28.57%
  • Ultra Light Core

2 5.71%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Praxis Carbon Layups- Yay or Nay for Resort

Just curious to get a poll going for what everyone thinks of the Praxis core layups for resort use. Lots of info sprinkled around the various threads, I'd like to see it all compiled. Specifically for the more powder specific skis like Protest, ULLR, BPS, RX and GPO. Skis that will only be taken out when there's at least a few inches of fresh, more like 6+ inches. But that includes the afternoon when things get skied out some. Mainly between the pure glass and hybrid carbon layup, but I threw in UL for kicks.

Those who have skied regular and carbon layups, please feel free to post your thoughts on them. Worth it to go carbon on a longer length for extra nimbleness?
    Last edited by Muggydude; 02-27-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Praxis Carbon Layups- Yay or Nay for Resort

Likely not helpful, but I've skied the same PM Gear ski in both hybrid and full carbon layups. Same flex, rocker profile, etc. For a dedicated powder ski, including chop and soft crud, I'd pick carbon all day. The lighter and less damp layup doesn't really matter in soft snow, and less weight is really really nice. Stiffness does matter though. Same when it comes to tech bindings versus alpine bindings.

When dealing with crust and other similar funky snows, I can tell the difference, but its not dramatic.

For full on charging in resorts in all kinds of variable in-between storm conditions, I'd likely pick neither. Nothing beats a heavy metal damp layup. Think Volkl Katana (haven't tried the Blizzard Cochise or Liberty Vatiant - other options in this category). ON3P is damn close to this dampness though, but I don't think their shapes work as well as a flatter or reverse camber ski. I like the Wrenegade, but it isn't the full on variable conditions charger that my Katana is. Doesn't slide and smear as well.

My 2 cents, for what your discussing, I'd go carbon for sure on my pow sticks. My carbon Protests are unbelievable in the soft, it's kinda like they just pop outta shit, kind of awesome. Anymore Praxis doesn't use carbon for weight just feel, I have Concepts for my daily in glass and wouldn't change that ever but for a dedicated resort pow ski like my Protests I'd go carbon every time! My next touring stick will most likely be UL or Glass, strictly because I don't want the rebound on an ever changing condition type ski, honestly most likely glass just because things get shitty out there and I'd prefer the dampness, definitely depends on your preferred use, but I'd go carbon on a resort pow ski every time especially if Keith is building em!
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Nay. Had GPOs in both layups. Loved the carbons in the bc, and soft snow but when things firm up at the resort they transmit everything up through your legs. Regular layup is great inbounds.

Had GPO in both. Carbon did transmit more and would probably do glass in next pair.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Huh. I'm a carbon fanboy. I'm a little bummed I didn't leave alpine clamps on my carbon GPO. Snappy and quick as anything.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I value dampness over the little bit of additional pop not to mention the cheaper price. Glass for resort and ul for touring. The only app for the carbon I would consider would be on the protest because it's pretty much deflection proof. Carbon w the slackcountry clamp of choice
    Interesting to note- I see the champ had a ul protest added to the quiver this year. I wonder what he uses that for and why he doesn't use the protest more in comps. Recently hes been on the rx in comps

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Huh. I'm a carbon fanboy. I'm a little bummed I didn't leave alpine clamps on my carbon GPO. Snappy and quick as anything.
    Not specific to Praxis but as long as you can stay light on your feet (when you need to) I think carbon is the way to go. Lighting quick. May come down to skiing style.
    Uno mas

No experience with different layups by Praxis.
    But I have skied DPS (Lotus 120s) and PMGear (191 LhasaFat) skis in both hybrid and pure.
    Short story: Pure for homogeneous snow; Hybrid for mixed.
    Pure has more pop, is lighter, faster edge to edge; Hybrid is damper but still energetic.
    I like pure for uncut snow; Hybrid for inbounds.

However for bottomless I love my 202 Lotus 138 Pure; stiff, stiff, stiff.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Grinch touched on this; it depends which ski.
    Deflection proof hovercraft like Protests are incredible in the carbon layup. Have skied them for 3 years as my main NZ clubfield ski; not many blower days there - lots of wind funk, cream cheese, etc.
    Would, however, love a BC in standard fibreglass.

So how about a ski-specific glass vs. carbon question? I've already got a pair of Woo 2.0 for touring the soft stuff, but I'm thinking about getting some Protests for on-piste and slackcountry duty. Since lightness isn't as high a priority for these would-be Protests, I was thinking of going with the glass layup -- until several of you starting singing the praises of carbon Protests. So, for the particular space in my quiver, is the carbon Protest a better choice than glass? UL better still, or an unnecessary step too far?

Quote Originally Posted by Daikon View Post
    So how about a ski-specific glass vs. carbon question? I've already got a pair of Woo 2.0 for touring the soft stuff, but I'm thinking about getting some Protests for on-piste and slackcountry duty. Since lightness isn't as high a priority for these would-be Protests, I was thinking of going with the glass layup -- until several of you starting singing the praises of carbon Protests. So, for the particular space in my quiver, is the carbon Protest a better choice than glass? UL better still, or an unnecessary step too far?
    This is exactly where the carbon (not UL) layup makes sense, IMO

Does Praxis offer full Carbon layups?

^^^ pretty sure it's a glass-carbon hybrid.

Based on having owned both lay-ups in Praxis (and both Lhasa Pows) I'm going with carbon for touring and/or pow and straight fiberglass inbounds/resort. That said, my all-glass Backcountries (sp?) are a damn good resort ski as well.

I definitely prefer glass only for inbounds use.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    The Praxis Rx has been on the champ for multiple seasons, podium FTW.
    whatever keith puts in my factory Rx, i don't want to know, just love to ski them!
    Lars too. last yr here it was rx erry day. one day , hopefully soon, i'll get some. 28m ftw

This is exactly where the carbon (not UL) layup makes sense, IMO
    2nd
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Haven't skied any praxis layups other than glass in the RX. Complete freigh train with enough width to float my frame along. I got them for the exact purpose the OP mentioned and they have not disappointed (obviously).

Thread drift.

Man. Peeps are just high off the RX. Not a single complaint out there about it. I'm meh on my 193 MVP. Ok for a daily...except that if there is no soft snow, I want something more playful and park/bumps friendly...and if there is soft snow, I want my Caylors.

Alpy? East? Do you ski the RX only? Quiver of one?

Thread drift.

Man. Peeps are just high off the RX. Not a single complaint out there about it. I'm meh on my 193 MVP. Ok for a daily...except that if there is no soft snow, I want something more playful and park/bumps friendly...and if there is soft snow, I want my Caylors.

Alpy? East? Do you ski the RX only? Quiver of one?
    My only other ski is a SFB that's a couple years old. I've actually found myself skiing the RX more than the SFB even in hard pack conditions in the east since the camber contact is so much greater (184SFB 189RX). I don't know if I'd consider it playful though, I would give the nod to the SFB in that department. With the 32m radius in med/stiff they definitely want to run straight but I've found in slower technical stuff that they are pretty easy to pivot around, I'm a pretty light guy so the faster I go more I can bend them. They really shine in variable snow, was used to the tips on the SFB folding up so the RX was a real game changer. I'll know how they do in the deep stuff today at Sillytude, will probably be switching between the two.

I sold my gpos because of the carbon layup.

I love my glass protests.

I would not buy another carbon praxis ski, inbounds or out. I would definitely buy another glass praxis ski. Funny thing is I love my carbon lhasas both inbounds and out.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    ^^^ pretty sure it's a glass-carbon hybrid.

Based on having owned both lay-ups in Praxis (and both Lhasa Pows) I'm going with carbon for touring and/or pow and straight fiberglass inbounds/resort. That said, my all-glass Backcountries (sp?) are a damn good resort ski as well.
    So you prefer a Pure Carbon layup for touring, or a Hybrid layup with Carbon in it?
    Praxis' "Carbon" layup seems to be more analogous to a DPS or PMGear "Hybrid" layup vs. the "Pure" Carbon layups that DPS/PMGear offer that are all Carbon.

To follow up, the RXs killed it today.

Good info. Now debating whether the pair of protests I pick up for next season will be carbon or not. Seems like a many love the carbon layup for that ski. Anyone skied both a carbon and glass protest? Or skied carbon protest and wished you had glass?

Though the majority of skiing these would see would be on more homogenous snow and fresh than chopped up, so carbon may be the answer

Anyone? ^