Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    that part of the planet has been seeing history/culture/art/architecture/anthropological valuables destroyed by human-vs-human conflict for thousands of years

blaming hawkish Congresspeople/Cabinet Heads/Presidents is a little overgeneralized, a big effort toward eternal instability was performed by the USA, UK and France in 1947, you could ask Palestinians about that one... travel the Celtic lands and see how the great Anglican powers destroyed the heathen religion's artifacts... I think a lot of shit got destroyed by France in "Indochina" right up until Uncle Sam waded into Cambodia and Vietnam, hey what about Angkor Wat?

sad for sure, but there is a strong strain of PROGRESS shoved down people's throats these days in First World Nations, and history means nothing to such people, they'd sooner raze architectural wonders or destroy artistic creations in favor of whatever is hip happening and Space-Age.
    Well said. If only the Japanese had made the correct choice to invade the USSR from the east in a coordinated fashion with Barbarossa instead of bombing Pearl Harbor and drawing the U.S. into the war, we likely wouldn't be having this discussion at all. We might be having a different, equally shitty one, but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    So you're willing to commit mass murder of innocents to MAYBE stop ISIS? WTF do you think that will do to their or Al Qaeda's recruiting? What will happen to our standing in the world? Will that open the door for the Chinese to nuke the Uighurs or Taiwan, the Russians to nuke Ukraine, and on and on and on?

Do you honestly believe the United States of America - the ONLY nation to ever use a nuclear weapon - will do so again unless it's in the direct defense of our homeland? This isn't a game or a movie, dude. Grow up.
    I agree with your gist but there are no doors that would open to the Chinese nuking the Uighurs or Taiwan. That would be nuking themselves as Xinjiang is mainland proper and the PRC considers Taiwan a rouge province. Then again, we did nuke Nevada. As for the Russians nuking Ukraine, well they kinda got a small scale preview of that in Chernobyl, and depending on the wind pattern fallout could find its way to Mother Russia pretty easy. A more likely exchange would be on the sub-continent.

Here's a fun site to play around on if you get bored reading about hot Asian gals chasing Mags around Thailand with squirt-guns:
    http://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post

How come they just destroyed the antiquities now when they've controlled Mosul for nearly 12months.
    Because they know an offensive against the city is being planned.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Just goes to show we are all different. You would not and I would. The alternative is to just mind our own business and keep our noses out of the Worlds business. If your going to be the Worlds cop, get the fucking job done or stay home. Either way works for me. I just hate the half assed US foreign war policies of the last 60 years.
    So you're willing to commit mass murder of innocents to MAYBE stop ISIS? WTF do you think that will do to their or Al Qaeda's recruiting? What will happen to our standing in the world? Will that open the door for the Chinese to nuke the Uighurs or Taiwan, the Russians to nuke Ukraine, and on and on and on?

Do you honestly believe the United States of America - the ONLY nation to ever use a nuclear weapon - will do so again unless it's in the direct defense of our homeland? This isn't a game or a movie, dude. Grow up.
    Your not paying attention to my point. Look at all the problems our half assed attempts at being the World Police creates. Why, because we don't have the balls or the conviction to win at any cost. Can't do that? Then stay home. I am ok with that and it makes the most sense for many reasons.
    However, I would have no problem turning that region into a waste land, so grow up yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Honest to god - and Lego I mean no offense - I had no idea there are still Assyrians. I am well aware of their cultural contributions in the past but what can I say. Either I'm dumb or you guys need a better PR department.

Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    you should watch more tv
    Always the right choice.

If you look at mainstream media the day new and conflicting things each day. All very strange. Stinks of psyop
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    If you look at mainstream media the day new and conflicting things each day. All very strange. Stinks of psyop
    Don't flirt with the red pill DD, stick with the blue and believe whatever you want to believe.

Your not paying attention to my point. Look at all the problems our half assed attempts at being the World Police creates. Why, because we don't have the balls or the conviction to win at any cost. Can't do that? Then stay home. I am ok with that and it makes the most sense for many reasons.
    However, I would have no problem turning that region into a waste land, so grow up yourself.
    I am not certain which is scarier: the fact that there are people around the globe who actually agree with ISIS, the Taliban and Al Queda; or the fact that there are STILL people around who think that going nuclear can EVER be a justifiable answer...to anything. I actually think the latter is scarier.

Hundreds of thousands of civilians in Hiroshima and Nagasaki were murdered to ensure that nuclear weapons must never EVER be used again. When people half-assedly say stupid shit like "nuke em" or "turn the whole place into glass", you are basically spitting at the ghosts of those who died in those two cities. Have we, as a world society, learned nothing?
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Yeah, just stuff. Stuff that was worked by human hands thousands of years ago and part of the living history of a region that gave birth to civilization. Everyone is upset about the genocide, and this is part of that genocide. They are wiping out the people and their history and if they got their way it would be as if these people never existed. It matters.
    Here here.

These useless fucks need to be controlled. I won't say exterminated, nuked or beheaded, but GONE.

Maybe some subterfuge that gets them all to do a Jonestown-esq cool-aid drinking contest to see who collects their 72 Virgins first?

spook Guest
    u.s. government has destroyed plenty of timeless and irreplaceable history and art in its many genocidal ventures.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    u.s. government has destroyed plenty of timeless and irreplaceable history and art in its many genocidal ventures.
    And that would make me sad too. To me it is a loss no matter who is the perpetrator. I likened them to "Nazis" because they are trying to wipe out races/secs and destroy their history as the Nazi's attempted to do.

I don't understand this "well he did it too!" game. Whoever "did it" whether they started it or continued it needs to stop it IMO.

spook Guest
    it's not "well he did it too" it's "we do it, too, best and most often." lots of u.s. based corporations that are among the wealthiest in the world profited from the nazis activities. some call it lizard brain. i call it human. the indignant shit in the western media is tiresome.

I guess Korea, Vietnam and Iraq have taught you nothing then. There is no "winning" against an ideology. You cannot kill enough people to wipe out an idea. The more you try the more you breed converts that fucking hate you even more. The key is to defeat it from within - ensure it implodes. There is a very good reason why the King of Jordan repeatedly says that it's up to Muslims to stop ISIS, not the West.

It's up to Muslims to stop ISIS, not the West.
    That is exactly right! If the west goes all balls to the wall on them, that will only cause endless waves of wannabe martyrs from places we would never even imagine.

Much of Islam already is disgusted with ISIS. The only way for these maniacal nutjobs to be efficiently stopped and reversed is for the countries surrounding their "Islamic State" to band together and decide to defeat them from the inside. The fact that ISIS is for now a geographical entity as well as a theological entity can be used to our advantage. But action by the Muslim community must happen quickly before ISIS goes into chrysalis and re-emerges as a more al Qaeda-like, non-geographical worldwide band of hellbent jihadists.

Their present geographical cohesiveness might just be their downfall.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I guess Korea, Vietnam and Iraq have taught you nothing then. There is no "winning" against an ideology. You cannot kill enough people to wipe out an idea. The more you try the more you breed converts that fucking hate you even more. The key is to defeat it from within - ensure it implodes. There is a very good reason why the King of Jordan repeatedly says that it's up to Muslims to stop ISIS, not the West.
    Who said that? Juan Williams?

I agree that this is what will ultimately be the solution, but in our western culture of instant gratification and our unbridled social 'emotions', I doubt the west will have the resolve to wait the 1 or 2 generations that it might involve. Especially with so many of our economic interests mired in the conflict area. But then there is always the sin of sloth to save us

News out today is maybe the "destruction" didn't really happen...

Plaster dust when the statues break apart?

Steel Rebar inside the "antiquity"?

Maybe the pieces were fakes or maybe ISIS has a sweet prop room???
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Supposedly most of the pieces were reproductions. The 2 bulls w/wings tho were supposedly still the real deal.

Wonder where the originals are. Probably in some dickhead's house in Vegas, Orange Cty CA, NYC, or Southern FL.

Or of course somewhere in China. Supposedly most stolen art ends up there these days. Shit, the ISIS guys probably sold it to the "collectors."

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Here here.

These useless fucks need to be controlled. I won't say exterminated, nuked or beheaded, but GONE.

Maybe some subterfuge that gets them all to do a Jonestown-esq cool-aid drinking contest to see who collects their 72 Virgins first?
    Fascist
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

The destruction of whatever came before the "perfect" man has a purpose:
    Besides removing supposed temptations to idolatry, Islamic jihadists want to ruin the artifacts of non-Muslim civilizations because doing so testifies to the truth of Islam, as the Qur’an suggests that ruins are a sign of Allah’s punishment of those who rejected his truth:

Many were the Ways of Life that have passed away before you: travel through the earth, and see what was the end of those who rejected Truth. (Qur’an 3:137)

This is one of the foundations of the Islamic idea that pre-Islamic civilizations, and non-Islamic civilizations, are all jahiliyya — the society of unbelievers, which is worthless. Obviously this cuts against the idea of tourism of ancient sites and non-Muslim religious installations such as St. Catherine’s monastery. V. S. Naipaul encountered this attitude in his travels through Muslim countries. For many Muslims, he observed in Among the Believers, “The time before Islam is a time of blackness: that is part of Muslim theology. History has to serve theology.” Naipaul recounted that some Pakistani Muslims, far from valuing the nation’s renowned archaeological site at Mohenjo Daro, saw its ruins as a teaching opportunity for Islam, recommending that Qur’an 3:137 be posted there as a teaching tool.
    picador

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Honest to god - and Lego I mean no offense - I had no idea there are still Assyrians. I am well aware of their cultural contributions in the past but what can I say. Either I'm dumb or you guys need a better PR department.

Or both.
    It's probably like Persians. The lady who cut my hair referred to herself as Persian. There's no more Persia, but Persians live on. In the Bay Area you can identify Persian and Assyrian men by well manicured stubble, gold glasses and and their Louis Vuitton.

Sorry if I'm getting my stereotypes mixed up, it's been a while since I've lived in the Bay Area.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    It's probably like Persians. The lady who cut my hair referred to herself as Persian. There's no more Persia, but Persians live on.
    Dude, no offense, but that's pretty ignorant. Whether or not you reside in the Bay Area. What about Arabs? Are only people from Saudi ARABia considered Arab? Most people from what is recognized as modern day Iran are Persian. Just like most people in Tuba City AZ North of the Hwy are Navajo and those to the Southeast are Hopi.

None taken. I tried to take "History of the Middle East 248" as a part of my history major at U of A. Half the class was in Farsi and Hebrew or so it seemed. I worked my ass off probably more so than for any other class and pulled off a C. Fuck trying to understand EVERYTHING about that place. I got the gist out of it, but that's about it, and I can at least say I gave it a shot which is more than most Americans can say. We shouldn't be meddling. Or, shouldn't have meddled forcing our continued meddling. We can't kill their ideas/ideals as Tipp said.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by guroo270 View Post
    None taken. I tried to take "History of the Middle East 248" as a part of my history major at U of A. Half the class was in Farsi and Hebrew or so it seemed. I worked my ass off probably more so than for any other class and pulled off a C. Fuck trying to understand EVERYTHING about that place. I got the gist out of it, but that's about it, and I can at least say I gave it a shot which is more than most Americans can say. We shouldn't be meddling. Or, shouldn't have meddled forcing our continued meddling. We can't kill their ideas/ideals as Tipp said.
    Right on! Though if you spent more time in the library and less in Dirtbags you prolly coulda pulled a B. Bear Down!