Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1437858405.283173.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	168413
    Saalbach was rad. Hacklberg trail was lapped.

Awesome, J.... glad to see you're riding trails and on some not too shabby scenic ones at that!

Post more pics.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

So the trip was outstanding. Heat wave aside (100f in Vienna!), the weather cooperated wonderfully. We only ever saw rain in the late evenings when the valley needed a cool down. Saalbach, while not as quaint, I imagine, as many Alpin towns, is a great town none-the-less. 4 lifts all going to the top of 2 ridges, a million Alms (high mountain lodges/restaurants/inns/etc- one even had a pump track!?), a handful of great shops with great bikes and some really nice folks made it a fantastic break back into trail riding.

Broke my tibial plateau and jacked my knee back in Jan and pretty well missed one of the best storm cycles VT has seen in years. My wife both threatened to murder me/took serious pity on me in alternating waves, and the result was a trip to Austria to visit some sites to do with her family and then get up in the mountains, hike, ride bikes, drink radlers, eat meat in tubes and have fun. I managed to ride almost zero single track in advance of this trip, but I had gotten myself back to 100% strength and stability-wise and felt good about the idea of riding big (4000m/day), though easy alpine descents.

I'll spare you the touron stuff from Vienna and Salzburg, but both were beautiful and we saw some cool family sites in Vienna and the alpine spa town Bad Hofgastein. But this is Sprockets, so here's a few pics from Saalbach and around:

30 minutes after checking into our hotel in the valley we were up at 2100m for a quick afternoon hike.

View from our hotel room in the valley. (Note the murky, foreboding ridge over the end of the valley- it was pretty humid all week. Still, much nicer than in the cities)

Hacklberg trail is single track most of the way down to the valley (1200m descent!) from up here...

...switchbacking with some delicious steep berms to an alm about 800m down and then, for us, down service road the last 3-400m. The views:

From up top of every lift there are options a plenty from natural dh trails to feature laden flow and bike park lines (the 'X line' is a full 1000m bike park style descent from ridge to valley!) to technical xc trails back and forth across the ridges (the ridge trail over towards Leogang kicked the crap out of me. Endless roots with some steep, though soft forest floored, consequences off to one side. My wife took a good sideways tomahawk at one point) to wide and packed dirt/doubletrack roads. Our favorite run was the Kohlmaisgipfelbahn ridge trail-->Schonleiten Hutte for frankfurters and radlers-->service road back across the piste-->lower 'Panorama' park trail-->'Milka Line' flow trail. Good afternoon fun.

In addition to the stormtroopers ripping park and DH all over the valley, the Bavarian uber-hikers and the ultra active family units galore, there are plenty of folks just lazing around.

About 50 mins south is one of the bad, or bath towns, Bad Hofgastein. My wife's family used to spend their summers there. Until about 1938 that is... The pools are radon spring fed. Hmm. All I can say is they were an outstanding way to end an active week. (Check out the funicular going up the opposite side of the valley underneath the aqueduct. I stared at the two cars going up and down that thing for a good hour mixed with dips in the pools. Good times)

A quick drive up and over the Grossglockner High Alpine road proved totally worth it:

Our ride for the 24 switchbacks of the Grossglockner :

Anyhow, cool trip. Thanks all for the help. Good to be back on the bike and I'm really grateful I got to ride in the alps.

Rock- biggins.
    Last edited by biggins; 07-28-2015 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I just thought I'd leave this for the JONG who resurrects this thread in 2023 without realizing he needed to know what Maggotdom thought of this question before his balls dropped:
    I am your huckleberry.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

Well played.

Stupendous call back

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Indeed. Was that an alarm in a calendar or the search function? Cause back then I figured on the latter, but that thing sucks. Either way, chapeau sir.