Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    Very sad. Marty was a staple at the Glenwood wave with Marilyn. It seemed like they were out there almost every day spring summer and fall. RIP
    They skied together so much they were nicknamed the M&M's.

RIP Marty.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Yeah big loss. I would do two sessions a day at the wave in Glenwood. One in the am before work and then one after. I would head back to basalt and then finish up with afternoon session. They were there all day, everday this spring and summer when Glwd Wave hit 21k.

They were in Peter Barker, a run that has killed 4 people in my 24 years in Aspen. Poor decision making and Lou had no uphill capacity nor did he have beacon skills to initiate the search.
    He will be missed on the hill and especially on the river. And poor Marlyn. They did everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    Poor decision making and Lou had no uphill capacity nor did he have beacon skills to initiate the search.
    Definitely something to think about as many of us ski backcountry in alpine gear.

But, not having beacon skills to initiate a search... does that mean he didn't know how to turn it on?? It doesn't take much to at least try a simple search. I've heard he was only a foot under the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Definitely something to think about as many of us ski backcountry in alpine gear.
    Even if you're in alpine boots/bindings, just having skins in your pack allows you a way to shuffle uphill. Not efficiently, of course, but it'll work.

From my armchair QBing, Marty was the first on slope and subsequently triggered the fatal avalanche. Meaning that his partner would still be above and able to initiate a beacon or hasty search.

I'm going to stop speculating until the CAIC report is released.

Lou was below him. He either skied first or skied second and missed him on the way down.
    Anyway, as for the skins question, side country, i still bring skins with my alpine gear Funken. You can still "shuffle" your way up. Not quick, but there is uphill capacity to get there. Moving laterally with your boots unbuckled. Try it out sometime, you d be surprised how fast you can move. Better than trying to boot it up in thigh or waste deep snow.
    I was a skeptic on this but did it a couple times.
    Anyway, just a real bummer that really didnt have to happen.

Vibes to all.

Sounds like a bad situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

several of my good friends in Boulder knew him.

Very sad.

I personally did not know him, but sobering to say the least.

Edit: NVM I am thinking of the fatality at breck

RIP Marty
    im fell so sad

Does anyone have details on the funeral? I boated with Marty

well let you know

Condolences to Marty's wife, family, and friends. This is very sad news. Sounds like a really cool guy.

As the video of the ECT says(after a Q1 fracture at 19 taps), "It's not horrible, but it's enough"

pic from the bottom is misleading, photo 2 in the updated report makes it look a lot more like a scary death trap

Terribly sad. Light trauma and buried 25 cm deep, 10".

They both sounded like they knew what they were doing, and at least one beacon wasn't working for at least a little while. Awful.

Anyone know how this type of technical situation is approached? I don't imagine CAIC has the $/tech to investigate this type of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by powtario View Post
    They both sounded like they knew what they were doing, and at least one beacon wasn't working for at least a little while. Awful.

Anyone know how this type of technical situation is approached? I don't imagine CAIC has the $/tech to investigate this type of stuff.
    This is pure speculation, I would say that skier 2 either had an analog beacon and didn't know how to use it or he was in a panic and couldn't or didn't turn to search mode. Of course the beacon could have been malfunctioning( probably unlikely unless really old) or had low batteries. Either way it's really sad.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    This is pure speculation, I would say that skier 2 either had an analog beacon and didn't know how to use it or he was in a panic and couldn't or didn't turn to search mode. Of course the beacon could have been malfunctioning( probably unlikely unless really old) or had low batteries. Either way it's really sad.
    Skier 2 followed the debris down the avalanche path, as it seemed like the safest route. Roughly a third of the way down the track he found a ski and called 911, who connected him to AMSP dispatch at patrol headquarters. AMSP received this call at 2:50 PM, contacted the Pitkin County Sheriff, and began organizing patrollers for a rescue. Dispatch also contacted Aspen Highlands Ski Patrol (across the Castle Creek Valley) and requested a spotter to observe the site.
    After calling for help, Skier 2 took out his beacon but got no signal. Skier 2 continued down and found a second ski near the toe of the debris. Skier 2 zigzagged back and forth across the debris but did not get a signal, despite turning the beacon on and off several times. Skier 2 moved up and found a ski pole strap around a small aspen tree but this clue did not lead to Skier 1.
    At 3:12 PM, a hasty team of four from AMSP left the ski area boundary and started following tracks down Peter Barker. The team included a paramedic. At the same time, the spotter at Aspen Highlands reported seeing debris in the gully and, a few minutes later, a person moving back and forth over the toe of the debris. At the crown of the slide, the rescue party split into two pairs. The first two rescuers continued down while the other two waited as backups. AMSP dispatch had two additional phone contacts with Skier 2 during this time. They asked him to move to a safe location and talked Skier 2 through turning his beacon off as rescuers approached.
    Rescuers 1 and 2 reported finding the ski in the path at 3:26 PM and a beacon signal at 3:31 PM. When Rescuer 1 got a reading of 0.5 m, Rescuer 2 started digging. Rescuer 2 uncovered Skier 1's hand on the second shovel strike. Skier 1 was fully buried roughly 25 cm below the snow surface. He had one ski pole with him. The strap was still around his wrist and the pole was completely buried. At 3:35 PM the rescuers reported no response from Skier 1 and began first aid and basic life support.
    According to the report when skier 2 found the first ski he was essentially standing on top of skier 1. According to the report he 'took out his beacon but got no signal.' Initially I had misread and thought he had skied to the 2nd ski before turning on beacon, but now re-reading it I believe he must have misused the beacon or not known how to use it. Such a shame as this sounds like the death would have been fully preventable(ruled asphyxiation) with an effective rescue.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    According to the report when skier 2 found the first ski he was essentially standing on top of skier 1. According to the report he 'took out his beacon but got no signal.' Initially I had misread and thought he had skied to the 2nd ski before turning on beacon, but now re-reading it I believe he must have misused the beacon or not known how to use it. Such a shame as this sounds like the death would have been fully preventable(ruled asphyxiation) with an effective rescue.
    Yes, that was my take on it when I read that part.

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    VERY sad and probably preventable. Horrible situation, I can't imagine what is going on is skier 2's head right now. Vibes to all.

From reading the story, it seems that they both went back to a locker where skier 1 gave 2 his extra beacon. I'm assuming it wasn't his normal/usual beacon, and probably hadn't practiced with it very much if at all. In a panic situation such as that, pulling out an un-familiar device could be enough to send you into an even deeper panic. Other thing is they both sound like very experienced skiers and backcountry skiers...Even if it was his beacon, maybe he just hadn't practiced with it in quite some time and thus wasn't as familiar as he thought with search settings/features? I try and practice every week just to stay as fast and efficient as possible...If I am headed out with a new partner, I'll try and do a quick practice with them before heading out to make sure THEY are also proficient.

Quote Originally Posted by jm020 View Post
    VERY sad and probably preventable. Horrible situation, I can't imagine what is going on is skier 2's head right now. Vibes to all.

From reading the story, it seems that they both went back to a locker where skier 1 gave 2 his extra beacon. I'm assuming it wasn't his normal/usual beacon, and probably hadn't practiced with it very much if at all. In a panic situation such as that, pulling out an un-familiar device could be enough to send you into an even deeper panic. Other thing is they both sound like very experienced skiers and backcountry skiers...Even if it was his beacon, maybe he just hadn't practiced with it in quite some time and thus wasn't as familiar as he thought with search settings/features? I try and practice every week just to stay as fast and efficient as possible...If I am headed out with a new partner, I'll try and do a quick practice with them before heading out to make sure THEY are also proficient.
    I guess the question is how you define "experienced." I would not put either of these guys on a list with experienced BC skiers. They skied side country, lift access. No touring. Lou (skier 2) has very little knowledge. Marty has more, enough that he should have know not to go. Here were the warning signs: Days end, warnings from patrol (something they rarely do because of liability issues), temperature spike, terrain traps, 16 new on top of boiler plate snowpack with wind. These are warnings that an "experienced" bc skier would digest and make an educated decision.
    Chose your partners carefully. They are the ones that will be digging you out.

My third summit (which failed) of N Maroon one of my partners (one who i will never ski with again) invited some random with us. I fought tooth and nail against bringing him. A skilled climber (i was told) and "experienced" back country skier, things went south quickly. We got lost in the basin leading up to face. Our group dynamics were off, and communication was terrible. We got to the top of the gun sight and made a wrong turn. We ended up on the face about 300 feet from the summit. I made the call to turn around. This guy took us the wrong way, no idea why i listened to him.

Anyway, Marty was a good guy with a huge heart. His expertise was in the water, where he was every day in the spring - fall. He was super helpful and considerate down at the Glenwood Wave.

He was burried 25 cm under. If Lou would have just looked around, maybe pulled the ski to see if it was attached to someone, of even listened, Marty could have been saved. It is a tough one to swallow considering he was so close to surviving.

Heartbreaking. Quick sidecountry laps can have so many dangers and mistakes.