Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Atomic Backland

How do the backland boots compare in stiffness and ability to drive a ski to something such as the Radiums I own, or the maestrale my bro has? I'm looking for an improved fit over the radium's I own, and curious with the new tech that Atomic is bringing to something that's fairly tried and true like the maestrale, which also fit my feet pretty well. I'm not trying to drive a massive ski, but often need support late in the day with our warm maritime snowpack. thanks

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...lex+comparison

Keep in mind the recent posts regarding the TLT6P and Backland (bottom of page 10), as well as the idea that stiffness isn't necessarily the whole story on how well a boot can drive a ski.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Words. Sounds like they should be fine driving most skis and tour great. Just comes down to fit and what's available on sale, when. Thanks auvgeek

Good thread, thanks for all the info. everyone. I like these boots, but can't stay warm, thinking of replacing the liner with an Intuition Pro Tour. After reading this thread, and the one on wildsnow, I'm wondering if anyone has more experience putting an Intuition in the Backland. Did you downsize the Intuition from the mondo size of the boot? Did you mold both the Intuition and shell together, for the recommended time and temp of the shell? Anyone molded the tongues as part of the process? Thanks.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    Good thread, thanks for all the info. everyone. I like these boots, but can't stay warm, thinking of replacing the liner with an Intuition Pro Tour. After reading this thread, and the one on wildsnow, I'm wondering if anyone has more experience putting an Intuition in the Backland. Did you downsize the Intuition from the mondo size of the boot? Did you mold both the Intuition and shell together, for the recommended time and temp of the shell? Anyone molded the tongues as part of the process? Thanks.
    I have 28/28.5 Backlands and I dropped a size 27 Intuition Pro Tour Liner into the shells. I've got about ~14 days or so on this set up and it has worked out well for me so far. The Pro Tours are burlier than the factory liner and ski better in addition to feeling a bit warmer. I molded the liners for a different boot and haven't molded the Backland shells yet. The liners fit snugly in the shells so based on my experience I would recommend sizing down a full size if you decide to use Pro Tours with these boots.

Thanks LillyHammer. That is the same Backland shell size I have. 27 Pro Tour seems to be what will fit best. Thanks for the info.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Looking pretty closely at these boots, so what's the general consensus compared to the tlt6? Get the impression the tlt6 is a tad firmer. Anyone know how the cuff height compare between the two? Have read the backland has quite a low cuff but not sure how it compares.

Quote Originally Posted by micky_mikey View Post
    Looking pretty closely at these boots, so what's the general consensus compared to the tlt6? Get the impression the tlt6 is a tad firmer. Anyone know how the cuff height compare between the two? Have read the backland has quite a low cuff but not sure how it compares.
    Last year's green TLT6 felt taller and stiffer with the heavier CR liner, the 2016 black TLT6 with the CL liner feels just about identical to the Backland Carbon.

Can you heat mold the shells in the oven at home?

I seen a backland with 1 week of use by an intermediate skier have a torn fabric gator
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Can you heat mold the shells in the oven at home?
    I don't see why not. Atomic originally suggested 15 minutes @235-240 F. in a shop convection oven, which I did with my pair (worked great). They now recommend 10 minutes. I tend to go with about 13 minutes in the store (this is with the liners IN the shells, mind you). If you don't have convection, I'd probably preheat to ~350 F. and turn the oven off before putting the boots in for about 10 minutes, but that's a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I seen a backland with 1 week of use by an intermediate skier have a torn fabric gator
    I've nearly torn mine a few times by forgetting the undo the velcro before pulling my foot out . . . I doubt ability has much to do with it.

Has anyone replaced the top strap with something more robust?

The TLT6 camlock powerstrap is awesome on my Backlands.

I did mine with a WC booster. May eventually try the nylon cam strap off my alpine boots (which was replaced with a WC booster as well). But for now, the booster works great. In conjunction with a few other mods, it makes the boot flex pretty damn well for an AT boot. I have a feeling a solid nylon strap might make it stiffer, but less progressive by making it easier to blow through the flex by putting more force into the lower.

I'm pondering the pair of Carbon lights in the GS right now, anybody know if the tongues are different from the Carbon's, and if so, where to get the stiffer ones? I've had some heavily punched TLT6's in the past, tried these on and was stoked on the wider forefoot, maybe tempting enough to try them out.
    Gravity always wins...

The Carbon lights come with a black tongue which has a cut out section in the middle to facilitate a softer flex. The standard carbons have an orange tongue which does not have that cutout and is a stiffer flex. They sell them separately and I got mine at skimo.co for $40

http://skimo.co/atomic-backland-tongues

It sounds like some of you are putting an intuition pro tour liner in this boot. Does anyone know what the tallest liner is in intuitions lineup? Tried to fit a power wrap in the boot but can't buckle the lower when I did.

Atomic Backland

Not sure why you'd want to put anything but a protour in that boot. Anyway, mold the liners in another pair of boots first to reduce volume, then mold them in the Backlands. Also you could try molding the Backland shells with the stock liner first. I did both of these - Molded protours in another boot and then molded the shells twice - once with stock liners, once with protours.

Anybody know the difference between the standard Backland and the Backland NC? Atomic's website says it's ~200g heavier than the Backland. Is it just a cheaper and heavier version for people new to touring?
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Mine are comfy for my 109mm forefoot after some punching and I could definitely go further if I wanted. Easier to work with than my grillamid Vulcans, which are pretty easy. Love it.

Has anyone punched the ankle area of the carbons? I get some pain at the front of the medial malleolus after 4 or so hours in the boot. My footbeds are starting to collapse, due to my fallen arch destroying anything it touches so I'll try some new ones before I punch anything but I'm just curious if anyone has tried. I'm obviously worried about the carbon around the pivot point cracking or the pivot itself being damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Anybody know the difference between the standard Backland and the Backland NC? Atomic's website says it's ~200g heavier than the Backland. Is it just a cheaper and heavier version for people new to touring?
    Backland uses a Grilamid cuff and shell, a Platinum liner (breathable bottom), swappable tongue system, screwed Igus cuff pivots, and is Memory Fit compatible.

Backland NC uses a PU cuff and shell, a Gold liner (non-breathable), fixed soft tongue (it's fixed in place to use less of the expensive water sealing), riveted Igus cuff pivots, and is not Memory Fit compatible. It's the cheaper way to get into Backland but still have a lot of the same features/benefits- same out of box fit, same ski/walk mechanism, same Igus pivots, same cuff ROM, and one of the lighter boots in its price range.

Quote Originally Posted by m-ruta View Post
    Mine are comfy for my 109mm forefoot after some punching and I could definitely go further if I wanted. Easier to work with than my grillamid Vulcans, which are pretty easy. Love it.

Has anyone punched the ankle area of the carbons? I get some pain at the front of the medial malleolus after 4 or so hours in the boot. My footbeds are starting to collapse, due to my fallen arch destroying anything it touches so I'll try some new ones before I punch anything but I'm just curious if anyone has tried. I'm obviously worried about the carbon around the pivot point cracking or the pivot itself being damaged.
    There is a Grilamid border around the carbon cuff that is designed to allow that area to stretch more easily than if it were totally carbon. Depending on where exactly your medial malleolus comes in contact with the shell/cuff, you should be able to punch it with minimal difficulty. Just take your time ensuring the area is sufficiently heated (but not overly heated) and it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    There is a Grilamid border around the carbon cuff that is designed to allow that area to stretch more easily than if it were totally carbon. Depending on where exactly your medial malleolus comes in contact with the shell/cuff, you should be able to punch it with minimal difficulty. Just take your time ensuring the area is sufficiently heated (but not overly heated) and it should be fine.
    I punched mine right on the edge of the carbon, and it went fine. Just take it easy (if you hear cracking, back off).

PS onenerdykid, I will be in Altenmarkt in March - hope to see you then!

Molding backlands and intuition pro tours

Just got some used backlands in 27 and a 26 MV Intuition Pro Tour liner, which takes up the extra space I had with the stock liner. Looking to mold at home. Seems like I should put the whole contraption including the tongues in the oven and bake at 240-250f for 12 minutes. Anyone done this and had good results?