Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tecnica Mach 1 130 2015/2016

Tecnica Mach 1 130 2015/2016

Any changes next year from current model - design, materials, graphics? Any information appreciated.

Brand new boot. 100 and 98mm versions available. Both are brand new shells compared to this year's option. I have not got to ski it yet, so can not comment on that.
    Unfortunately it brings with it the loss of the R9.8 130 and 110, which were great boots. Hopefully the new Mach1 130 is as stiff and close to as precise as the 9.8 130, we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Unfortunately it brings with it the loss of the R9.8 130 and 110, which were great boots. Hopefully the new Mach1 130 is as stiff and close to as precise as the 9.8 130, we will see.
    That's a damn shame. I've been looking around for some R9.8 130s online for a reasonable price, bueller?!

Actually it doesn't really bring an end to the r9.8 110/130. The new Mach LV is a slightly modified r9.8 mold. If you look close you can see the resemblances. There were a few tweaks in a few key zones where we thought the fit needed to be improved upon. It has been one of the best fitting true low volume boots for a while so we didn't want to start from scratch just take a good thing and make it better. The very end of the toe box (water dam forward) was made more anatomical for a little more big toe room. The navicular area got a little bump out and the tips of the ankle pockets were bumped out as well to accommodate for the new liner. The cuff is now 1cm taller as well. When people put it on and look down they are amazed that it is that narrow and fits that well. It is just has better shape now. The comment that I get from people that skied in the old r9.8 and now are skiing the new LV is that the foot feels more balanced. The new shape allows the foot to be relaxed yet is held more securely before due to the new liner.

The biggest difference is the new liner. Unless you have a 95mm foot and need to take up volume there is no need for an aftermarket liner anymore. C.A.S liner will hold the foot better and it will not pack out over time like traditional liners.

New LV and MVs are in select stores now if anyone wants to try them on to see for themselves.

Anything like "prepunching" the outside of the foot?
    That's where I run in to problems. I need a low volume fit, but I have this skinny, boney foot that get a lot of pressure on the outside foot. I'm in blue Agent 120s now. Insoles, Intuitions and lots of dremmeling. Any moguls or too much bouncing and turning can still really hurt.
    Every time I try a wider boot, it feels like a sneaker.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

How does the flex of the 130 LV compare to that of the 9.8 130? That was my issue with the 14 Mach1 130?

My cochise 120s are a little soft for inbounds shit snow.

How is the new liner for warmth and stiffness? I run cold, and have been dropping pw's into my boots for a while now.
    Last edited by XavierD; 02-21-2015 at 10:56 AM.

Anything like "prepunching" the outside of the foot?
    That's where I run in to problems. I need a low volume fit, but I have this skinny, boney foot that get a lot of pressure on the outside foot. I'm in blue Agent 120s now. Insoles, Intuitions and lots of dremmeling. Any moguls or too much bouncing and turning can still really hurt.
    Every time I try a wider boot, it feels like a sneaker.
    Sort of yes. "prepunching" is basically marketing speak for making really anatomical well lasted boot. Dalbello was the first to really talk about it when they came out with the Scorpion I think. Certain areas of the last had more room (6th toe, navicular, etc) like they were "prepunched". However the rest of the boot wasn't lasted very well and maybe for some people they worked but for most they didn't fit all that well. Salomon does a good job of making really anotomical shells however they tend to run on the generous end of the spectrum. Heck even Dynafit is talking about "prepunched" in their new Khion shell. The new Mach LVs have more shape in the key areas yet they still have that really low volume fit especially in the heal and ankle. They are much lower volume than a Lange RS (even though Lange says it's a 97) or a Salomon X-max. It doesn't look like Gull ordered any of the early intro Mach boots but LMS in Big Sky and Round House in the Bozone did. If you're in that neck of the woods you might be able to at least try some on to see if they fit. 25.5 - 27.5 in the new Mach 130 LV and MV, Mach 120 MV, and Mach 100 LV and MV are done and in select stores. 24.5 in the LV and 28.5 in the MV are showing up in the US on Monday I think and will be shipping out next week. They will definitely fit a lot better than those Agent 120s you're rocking.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    How does the flex of the 130 LV compare to that of the 9.8 130? That was my issue with the 14 Mach1 130?

My cochise 120s are a little soft for inbounds shit snow.

How is the new liner for warmth and stiffness? I run cold, and have been dropping pw's into my boots for a while now.
    Mach 130LV should be basically the same flex as the r9.8 130. The new cuff is a little taller so you might be a little more leverage over the lower but that's about it. Were last year's Mach 130s too soft?

Nothing beats a PW for warmth. Having very few seams and thicker material in the toe box make PWs really warm. Most stock liners have neoprene in the toe box for fit purposes which is definitely not as warm as having that thick foam everywhere. Otherwise I can't really tell you how the new liners will be as my foot is a 13 and the 28.5s LVs aren't done yet. In my experience when you have more wiggle room for your toes they tend to stay a little warmer and the end of the toe box has more room in the new LV than in the old r9.8/inferno so in theory they should be warmer.

Sounds good. I was worried about the (potential?) plastic change. The current 130 felt softer in the store than my cochise 120s w/ power wraps.

I'll see about checking out the new 130 LV. I'm trying to avoid going back to a plug boot.

The Triax can feel stiffer than PU or PE at room temp. It's less temperature sensitive. Just the nature of the plastic.

Wasatchback, What are the differences between the current Mach 1 130 and next year's Mach 130 MV? Thanks for your info and expertise.

Tecnica Mach 1 130 2015/2016

^^ What KBP asked.

Just got them used but so far a 13/14 130 with zipfit liners is the best fitting/best flexing boot (stock) I've ever tried.
    Was able to downsize shell (with a small 6th toe punch and slight toe grind) as they are really "mid" size, ie-25 is a 300mm shell.
    Last edited by otto parts; 02-21-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Scheduled for a thursday fitting. Can't wait. Tried the new LV 130 model on over the weekend...best ever out of the box fit for me. Really looking forward to owning these.

Where have folks seen the 15/16 models on the shelf? I just bought (but haven't used) the 14/15 120's; love the fit and flex, but don't dig the white. Would much prefer the blue...

^^^got them here in little bumfuck Pa. Shop got a shipment in this past friday.

I remember Garmont talking about prepunching and the Radium fit amazing (I think). Unfortunately, it was neither stiff, nor for alpine bindings. Thanks for getting all local on me, WB
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

I have a couple pair of 26.5 and a couple 27.5's in the new 2016 Mach 1 130 LV here at the shop for anyone wanting to be an early adopter...

Looking for the 120 in a 27.5..,

Brianskis,

What is the sole length difference on the 26.5 vs 27.5 shells? Comparing them to back under the Icons which were 312 mm in the 27.5 shells.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Brianskis,

What is the sole length difference on the 26.5 vs 27.5 shells? Comparing them to back under the Icons which were 312 mm in the 27.5 shells.
    26.5 = 305mm
    27.5 = 315mm

I'm looking at the boots right now; the 27/27.5 is 320mm

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    26.5 = 305mm
    27.5 = 315mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ricky64 View Post
    I'm looking at the boots right now; the 27/27.5 is 320mm
    Can I have a 3rd opinion, or should I put a poll up?
    Which one is correct (are one of you looking at prior years and another the new 15/16 boots) or is one quoting US size 9 (27) and another Europe size 9?
    Last edited by RShea; 02-23-2015 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Can I have a 3rd opinion, or should I put a poll up?
    Which one is correct (are one of you looking at prior years and another the new 15/16 boots) or is one quoting US size 9 (27) and another Europe size 9?
    The new 15/16 Mach MV and LV molds are back to normal sole lengths.

27.5 = US 9.5 = 315mm
    26.5 = US 8.5 = 305mm

As far as differences between the 14/15 Mach and the new 15/16 Mach collection... Well there are a lot of differences.

14/15 Mach boots
    100mm Mid Volume only
    90, 110, 120, 130 flexes
    Lower Mold was the same lower mold as the Cochise boots
    CAS liner in 110, 120, 130 (plus women's models)
    27.5= 320mm sole length

15/16 Mach Collection
    2 separate molds (not a shared outer mold like Lange or Rossi, 2 completely different boots)
    98mm LV
    - 100, 120, 130 flexes
    100mm MV
    - 90, 100, 120, 130 flexes
    26.5=305mm
    27.5=315mm

The new MV mold is a similar fit to the 14/15 boot but there were a few things that needed tweaking. Biggest difference is now the Mach and Cochise don't share the same lower mold. With the two boots sharing a lower mold there had to be compromises in both models. This let us make Mach a better boot for 15/16 and Cochise a better boot in the future. The new Mach MV is lower over the forefoot than the 14/15 one. Really that is the biggest difference in fit between the two. A little more compression gives you better security and less movement. The heal and ankle hold was always there but there were some complaints about the forefoot moving up and down for some people. There is a new CAS liner in the Mach 130s with more of the micro cell material all over the liner which helps to really eliminate pack out and provide a tighter overall fit than the 14/15 model.

There is a lot more to talk about with the new boots but it kind of requires photos. I'm actually at the factory in meetings for the next few days so I'll try to snap some photos while I'm here.

Thanks for all the info Wasatchback.....very helpful!! Got a MV on order for next fall, but me thinks I'll try to have a LV shipped in as well. Sounds like enough changes from the 14/15 lineup that will warrant trying on both. Much appreciated!

I'm still using the 28.5 Demon 130 and was looking at the Mach 1 130 as a replacement. After reading the info above, I'm not going to waste my time on a 14/15 model. Cheers!

Hmm... I was able to size down on the Cochise 120, I wonder if I'll have to go back up on the new Mach 130.