Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Will Marijuana Ever Be Accepted Like Alcohol?

Seriously. I live in a state where marijuana is legal and yet as a pro-marijuana individual I feel like a criminal/douche bag/loser/drug addict who is likely to commit a crime - LOCK YOUR SHIT UP! POT HEADS WILL STEAL YOUR STUFF! PROTECT YOUR KIDS!

I hardly ever smoke it anymore (hardly ever drink anymore either) but being pro-marijuana is something I feel I must keep under my hat for fear of being labeled/judged and forever written off as a danger to society.

What brings this up is a conversation I just had with someone who was railing against what a big mistake Washington has made and how it is going to prove to be the ruin of us all. This is someone I've known for a long time. Never pegged them as being so narrowly focused but then I guess he never pegged me for someone who was pro-marijuana. I actually have several friends like this that I do not dare talk to about the evil weed. It's really frustrating esp. given the fact that they drink like fish.

I honestly do not see marijuana as being any more harmful for society/people than alcohol yet it is feared like a three headed monster.

What do you think? 50 years? 100? Never?

Not soon enough.

already in Colorado, WA and basically Cali.

it will happen much faster than we think.

5-10 at most.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Yes. I think once the older generations die off it will as long as it becomes legal federally eventually

They are both accepted at my house
    Took me like 10 minutes to figure out how to change this shit

I live in North Central WA. Lots of my friends smoke the devil weed and all seem to have productive lives, families, successful businesses, etc. I'd say most people in the 18-40 range are very accepting of it, its mostly the old fucks and religious types.

I'm guessing you must be in a location that is more of a traditional faith and family conservative area - whereas around here even the Republicans tend to be more libertarian/libertine. (I'm in the Upper Wenatchee valley - from Cashmere down it's like the 1950s or something.)

I think Washington's laws are too restrictive and until they get calmed down we won't see any road to true acceptance.

you know I'm not sure it will actually, only because most people don't like smoking weed, whereas most like drinking. I mean, everyone I know has smoked their share over their lifetime but only a small percentage like it enough to do on a regular basis. So it will always be something a minority does, which will allow the majority to view it suspiciously.

But be happy those people were open-minded/libertarian enough to vote for legalization!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post

I honestly do not see marijuana as being any more harmful for society/people than alcohol yet it is feared like a three headed monster.
    I'm not a big smoker, but to be sure, pot is FAR less dangerous than alcohol....both in terms of physical danger like drunk driving and crazy whiskey drunks beating heck out of their wives and kids....and less visible dangers like the psychological damage alcoholics do to their families. I've yet to see someone made more violent by marijuana, but it happens all the time with alcohol...especially hard liqour!

But you're exactly right....even though pot is far less dangerous than alcohol, vast segments of society STILL view it erroneously as something to be feared and shunned. Society and its flexible mores are often senseless. This is certainly one example.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

It cracks me up that it's still illegal and I am not pro-dugs.

Alcohol to me is worse for society then weed.

And yes, I think it's going to be accepted like alcohol.
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

If gay marriage can basically be accepted nationwide in a ten year time-frame, weed will be child's play. I'm going 10 at most, more like one more presidential cycle (six years) if I had to commit to a number.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    it will happen much faster than we think.

5-10 at most.
    yep, though there will always be naysayer puritans even after there's larger social acceptance, just as there are anti-alcohol crusaders today

the 3-headed monster thing KQ mentioned is because of the long-standing cultural association: pot = criminal element / pot = underclass / pot = layabout bohemians, and it will be watered down by squares finding more and more of their friends & acquaintances owning up to puffing. when it becomes commonplace at middle-class parties without furtive means to make it happen, it will have arrived.

I propose a slogan to speed along acceptance among the puritans: Hey, look -- it's not meth.

The one thing is driving. You can have a beer or two or three and operate a vehicle fine.

If I take 1 bong rip of really strong weed I shouldn't be driving. Even a couple bowl puffs of strong bud can mess with decision making.

I've been smoking weed for 23 years and driven a ton high. In my mid 30's I'm realizing that yes, it does make me a worse driver actually. Used to think the opposite. It does make me ski better though.

The "marijuana makes black men rape white women" generation of the 40s and 50s are pretty much all dead or senile

The baby boomers of the 60s are now the "elderly", retired (or retiring) generation, and most if not all of them are ok with pot

Everybody after them, pot is pretty close to as accepted as alcohol. Overall, I'd say that day is close, real close. 3 years, tops

As long as there is a republican party, (read old white men), I doubt it. Logic, reason and facts mean nothing to them, so they will continue to live in their made up world, they are convinced it real. One would assume they would eventually die out, but they seem to keep going.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Man, I do not know. Next 3 years? No way. It could easily take over 10 years IMO for it to be Federally ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Meh, maybe another 3rd of States in 10 or more years.

Rest will never cave, until it's done on a federal level.

Stupid is forever, and stupid voters and politicians live a long time.

In my experiences it's the young and the elderly that seem to give the least amount of fucks about the pot

I see the biggest concentration of narrow minded idiots in the 50-60 yr old range

The elderly tend to reach a point where they realize shit like this is the least of our worries...and that it actually helps a lot of elderly with pain
    If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    narrow minded idiots in the 50-60 yr old range
    Hard not to narrow minded when Fox News trumpets 24/7 that the new Pot is nothing like the old friendly hippy woodstock pot of the 1960s, and thus needs to be feared.

I think part of the remaining stigma it is how the laws have been written in WA. Legal to buy, but only truly legal to consume behind the closed doors of your house, not in public, bars, restaurants etc. I enjoy it often, but my Mrs hates the smell of the smoke and the smell lingers for some time with combustion. Dosing is also an issue with people- it's easy to down say 2-3 drinks and be fairly casual about it without getting raging drunk. It's somewhat harder to take a couple puffs and regulate the difference between pleasantly stoned and oh shit I cant talk.

It's all new territory, interesting to see how it shakes out over the next 5-10 years.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

BE ACCEPTED LIKE ALCOHOL
    Sold at supermarkets, gas stations, stadiums, sponsorships on Nascars, TV ads, will we be letting out 3 strike lifers for MJ crimes from prison ?

No it will not be accepted like Alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Sold at supermarkets, gas stations, stadiums, sponsorships on Nascars, TV ads, will we be letting out 3 strike lifers for MJ crimes from prison ?

Buzz kill man

You punks want to make me vomit.

Punks like you make me want to vomit

I heard WA was a odd situation. Voted for but they were slow to introduce & comparatively restrictive laws. Populations on the coast being liberal but more conservative inland? Is this accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    As long as there is a republican party, (read old white men), I doubt it.
    tgr = old white men
    and yet
    marijuana

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post

Wasn't entirely what I was thinking but now that you mention it, it is how I likened it. No, I'd have to agree it won't be trumpeted like alcohol. At the most it will probably become the elephant in the room with people looking the other way but not saying anything. That said there is a vending machine in Seattle where you can buy marijuana.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Friday View Post
    You punks want to make me vomit.

LOL!!! Loved Dragnet back in the day. Oh the irony - Jack Webb was a mean sonofabitch alcoholic prone to berating & beating people.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I heard WA was a odd situation. Voted for but they were slow to introduce & comparatively restrictive laws. Populations on the coast being liberal but more conservative inland? Is this accurate?
    The real odd thing about Washington's situation is the legal dichotomy between recreational marijuana and medical marijuana - it is messing things up. But yes, Seattle is the liberal hub of the state. Where I live in SE Washington not-so-much. Mostly good-ol-boy farmers. The wine industry has gone a ways to dilute the situation but it's still very red down here (although we have one GOP senator who is muy liberal. She's pro-choice and pro-gay marriage. Pisses the old guard off. I like her).