Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Talking HELP PICKING A RESORT TOWN TO CALL HOME!!!!

I know this type of forum has been done before, however all of them seem to add in the need of a job.

I am writing this because I need help deciding on what resort town/city/community to call home for the next few years.

Background info: Im a 29 yo straight single male, have a good job that I don't want to give up that lets me live anywhere in the US (fly to work), and I snowboard and plan on getting back into mt biking.

Resort town Criteria:

-Great boarding (i mainly stick to bowls and search for powder).. most important
    -Close to a resort (closer the better, waking up and walking to a lift would be nice)
    -Decent nightlife year round (nothing crazy, but being able to socialize on a weekday night year round would be awesome)
    - Decent amount of single women would be nice haha (know men generally out number women at resorts)
    -within an hour drive to an airport (major would be ideal, but i know that is not usually possible, just needs to be reliable.. cant get stuck at home for a week ha)
    -Great in the summertime too
    -don't consider cost of living... it matters, but that's not the advice im looking for

Top contenders so far:
    -Jackson hole (going for the first time in 2 weeks, and have heard excellent things, however i am worried it is way overcrowded by tourists?)
    -Park city (have been there a few times, loved it when there was good snow... havent really experienced local life or nightlife, so any info would help)
    - others are on my mind but these are winning so far

Places i dont really want to live:
    NM, OR, CA ... and the whole east coast (sorry, I love the summers out there, just not the winters)
    (unless you make a killer argument)

I do not need a job and dont have kids so dont factor in school systems and job market (as nearly every other post like this does)

Basically if you could live at any resort where would it be?

and if you have anyone looking for roommates, or a place to rent in an awesome ski town... let me know

HELP PICKING A RESORT TOWN TO CALL HOME!!!!

Telluride checks the box on a few of them, so does Steamboat and Big Sky. That would be in order of my preference for resort towns. I'd also seriously look into Basalt and Carbondale for just the town to get away from the resort feel but have it close by.

Do you need someone to wax your skis?
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Utah checks every damned box u have. Summers might even be better than winters and winters are typically pretty awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Utah checks every damned box u have. Summers might even be better than winters and winters are typically pretty awesome.
    Dating here would be weird and there is no snow, but otherwise you are right.

Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Boston.
    Way too many good looking college coeds to qualify as a ski town, but otherwise, you're right.

Good pro sports, too.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Hi twarsh! May I suggest that instead of the overrated, overhyped and overpriced Western USA that you "think outside the box" and instead come find work in the mountains of the northeast, home of the gnarliest snowriding in the USA? I would proffer that all things considered,the northeast is the clear choice. The riding is quite challenging partly due to the variable conditions, and you will find that the conditions are actually more dependable and consistent to anything you will find out west due to the superior snowmaking. Also, the culture is superior, the history is rich and the "Norman Rockwell" factor is prevalent everywhere you turn. The terrain is truly fabulous, the partying is unmatched anywhere!(can you say "hot New Jersey Italian babes?") When you score your first Killington powder day in "Bearclaw Woods", you will be grinning from ear to ear, I promise you!. You will also find that the denizens of whatever community you choose will tend to be more educated and well-rounded, not your typical western cowboy types. You also will have fun pursuing the plethora of hot NYC/NJ and Boston "chicas" in their stretch pants, but I must warn you they are quite feisty and outspoken, unlike the laid-back western gals.
    I would also like to take this opportunity to formally invite you (as well as all TGR Maggots , TTip-ers, NewSchoolers, Epicureans, jongs and lurkers alike) to come join our fun-loving but responsible bunch of snowriding aficionados at http://forums.alpinezone.com/. I think most all of you will find that our seasoned moderators "keep the bar high" by maintaining a sense of order and decorum, while encouraging quality discussion about our favorite pastime. I can assure you that "newbies"'(jongs) are welcomed with open arms by our entire community(unlike here at TGR), and there is no "hazing period" or rudeness tolerated. We also have superior bandwidth and response times on our 502g superfibre network as well as a state-of-the-art virtual blade server farm with 5000 terabytes of virtual disk space for your photos, blogs etc. It may take a small amount of getting used to, as we do have reasonable standards as far as language and image posting that are strictly enforced. The registration is easy and painless, and the rules will be explained in detail during the process. I will warn you however up front that registering an ALIAS is strictly "VERBOTEN", and something we have zero-tolerance with. If you are tired of the juvenile goings-on at TGR and Newschoolers and yearn for a snowriding forum that matches your maturity level, all I can say is: "Come join the fun"!

Big Sky, Tahoe, Hood River.

I wonder if Greg will be the guest of honor at the east coast magic circle j.

Benny, plz, let it go. Not everyone is good enough for Magic, so no need for you to get all sour grapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Big Sky, Tahoe, Hood River.
    Hood River would be on my list, too. Great place and fun all year long.

Pico. It's where the hot midtown Euros babes ski.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Way too many good looking college coeds to qualify as a ski town, but otherwise, you're right.

Good pro sports, too.
    But there's this...

http://www.boston.com/news/weather/2...upI/story.html
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

jackson or die you fool
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Hood River would be on my list, too. Great place and fun all year long.
    Spring, summer and fall activities are covered pretty well. But unfortunately, the skiing during the winter just isn't that great.

Benny, plz, let it go. Not everyone is good enough for Magic, so no need for you to get all sour grapes.
    I did. But the tall tee dragged me back in.

Sounds like the two you have on your list are good. I'd also check out Bozeman. If you fly a lot, look at airfairs out of the airport. Some of the towns are cost prohibitive or have very limited option on that front. Single in any ski town is okay if you have a job. Most of your competition will have crap employment. Utah does have the LDS thing going on. I was married when I came here, so I can't really comment on that dynamic in Park City.

I agree with Greg 100%. You should move to the east coast, it doesn't even snow out west anymore. I have no idea why those dipshit east coast Massholes keep moving west by the 1000s. Not to mention you'll have access to all those hot NJ Italian bitches, I mean babes.
    Hunting kicks ass.
    Chicks dig Labs.
    I'll keep my job, my money and my guns and you can keep the change.
    From my cold dead hands.

Based on your criteria, Jackson Hole would work, but I'm not sure it would be ideal. SLC or Park City would also work, but might be a little strange as others mentioned. Steamboat would also hit your criteria. I'd also look at Boise and Bozeman, though those aren't really resort towns. There's a thread in here about New Mexico. You should read that before you cross that off your list. I visited last September and thought it was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Sounds like the two you have on your list are good. I'd also check out Bozeman. If you fly a lot, look at airfairs out of the airport. Some of the towns are cost prohibitive or have very limited option on that front. Single in any ski town is okay if you have a job. Most of your competition will have crap employment. Utah does have the LDS thing going on. I was married when I came here, so I can't really comment on that dynamic in Park City.
    It feels like most of the local women in pc are married. But you could probably do pretty well taking clueless tourists back to your bachelor pad if you're not ugly and you are into that sort of thing.

If I were single and had the sort of white collar gig that flies me everywhere, I would consider living in salt lake proper. Yes, you're stuck in the smog and the MTb access isn't as nice, but the access to snowbird, the airport, and college girls is better.

I'm always running into all these single chicks with decent jobs in BZN. Not a major airport, but its only 15' away and well connected. Winter is great, summer is great.

Quote Originally Posted by twarsh View Post
    -Jackson hole (going for the first time in 2 weeks, and have heard excellent things, however i am worried it is way overcrowded by tourists?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    It feels like most of the local women in pc are married. But you could probably do pretty well taking clueless tourists back to your bachelor pad if you're not ugly and you are into that sort of thing.
    Parvo did ok w/ the locals.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Parvo did ok w/ the locals.
    I was assuming op is into banging twenty somethings while he is still in the prime years to do so. If he's into Cougars or the third floor bathroom, the equation changes. Of course.