Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    the problem with this category of skis, is the fucking system bindings.
    they develop a shit-ton of play in both the heel and toe, the heels get especially bad.
    if you can find a Head super shape, flat, buy it.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Thinking out of the all-season tire box ...

Let me just ask ... have you ever been on a WC SL ski? Not a de-tuned version but the full-on WC slalom ski?

I assume you have a quiver to keep happy in all other avenues, and with that said the WC SL's aren't the most versatile skis out there, but for teaching/coaching/demo'ing/displaying/etc. on groomers and hardpack they're phenomenal.

A WC SL ski is tough to beat for anything under GS speeds on hardpack. But again, if you're looking for versatility then look elsewhere.
    Who cares how the crow flies

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    the problem with this category of skis, is the fucking system bindings.
    they develop a shit-ton of play in both the heel and toe, the heels get especially bad.
    if you can find a Head super shape, flat, buy it.

And they weigh a ton, too.

I picked up a pair of Élan SLX Fusion a few years ago cheap. Very nice. I would trust the present incarnation.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    not to hijack, but do you guys know of a ski like this (trench-digging frontsider) in a 90+ waist?
    Yeti, you looking for a short radius or just a rip the shit out of groomers with decent width? If #2 last year's or before Rossi E98 or if you prefer active to damp the Nordica Hell and Back or even better the Nordica Enforcer from I think 2 yrs ago (same mold as the H & B but w metal)

All three of these have a flattish wide tail that finishes high speed carves well, and very subtle front splay so the edge fully engages when laid over The E98 is more of a trench digger, the Nordis aren't quite as aggressive but I feel they are more versatile. I have Praxis's for all my big skis, but love the H&B as my East coast daily driver and West coast no fresh ski. It is more lightweight than the other 2 and very poppy, so it's not the full trench digger you may be looking for but does make a good versatile wide carver

Source of a good easy to read list of Skis (since this thread drifted into 90+ waist):

http://skicanadamag.com/assets/data/1415ski_list.html

If you are looking used or close out also they have 2 or 3 season years back listings also.

Cheers for all the advice - Who would have guessed TGR is such a great source for pisten-carven skis
    Want to use these for skiing hardpack at home + instructor exams.
    Some good suggestions - checking them all out (Elan Amphibio sounds interesting - especially if it can be found in end of season sale).

WC SL ski?
    never been on a proper set.... but *think* I am looking for something a little more versatile.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish_Skier View Post
    One that can be used for carving...

Anyone know what this ski is ?
    Olins. You want a pair of Olins.
    You want big air kid? Pull my finger.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
    Yeti, you looking for a short radius or just a rip the shit out of groomers with decent width? If #2 last year's or before Rossi E98 or if you prefer active to damp the Nordica Hell and Back or even better the Nordica Enforcer from I think 2 yrs ago (same mold as the H & B but w metal)

All three of these have a flattish wide tail that finishes high speed carves well, and very subtle front splay so the edge fully engages when laid over The E98 is more of a trench digger, the Nordis aren't quite as aggressive but I feel they are more versatile. I have Praxis's for all my big skis, but love the H&B as my East coast daily driver and West coast no fresh ski. It is more lightweight than the other 2 and very poppy, so it's not the full trench digger you may be looking for but does make a good versatile wide carver
    Here's the thing: I have a 19m ski at 100 underfoot I'm real satisfied with for most days. I'd like something tighter radius for railing like a hard boot snowboarder....so 14/15m.

I skied a 66mm underfoot ski (dynastar speed 66) a bit last year and had major problems with boot out, even stacked absurdly high (started with just the autodrive plate. way too much boot out, so I ended up with look px on top of salomon drive plus plate on top of dynastar autodrive plate) I was booting out, because I'm really heavy so if there's any softness to the snow I dig in pretty deep in a hard carve. I had real problems with that. And if there's some windblown or it's slushy or whatever I don't want to hold back because I'm losing the outside ski once I'm at the turn apex.

So there you go. Tight radius and wide. Just a hair longer radius than a race SL in a much wider waist and preferably 180+ length.

I demo'd a ton of piste skis this winter because it hasn't snowed much and I want to have fun when it doesn't snow, and I'm on small hills out east (400-800m vertical). I tried a bunch of 88mm skis, 84, 80, 78, 76, etc.. I consistently had the most fun on SL ski's. My favourite were the Rossignol Hero Elite ST Ti, they come in a 167cm or 172cm. They love to turn, but you can carve any shape and they're stable at fairly high speeds. They're skinny and short and no problem in bumps. I had it in my head I would buy an 84-85mm ski and ended up getting a 68mm ski. But I've never had so much fun on groomers. I also tried someones FIS SL ski that was tuned to 87', it made ice feel like chalky snow, amazing. But a little more ski than I needed, felt like I was going to get launched into the next run coming out of some turns.

Anyways, try some short SL skis and you might be pleasantly surprised. I also liked the M-16, it would be fun on a bigger hill with a little more room.
    Last edited by grapedrink; 02-23-2015 at 10:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    Wateas are underrated for sure.

Fischer: great skis, shitty marketing.
    This, I have Fischer GS and Watea 84's the Watea 84 does so well in anything above sheet ice and it loves up to boot deep soft stuff. Probably the best all round ski I've owned.
    I Came, I Saw, I .... Made A Slight Effort & Then Went Home For Lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    Praxis Rx
    I shouldn't admit this or encourage you, but I laughed.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Quote Originally Posted by grapedrink View Post
    I demo'd a ton of piste skis this winter because it hasn't snowed much and I want to have fun when it doesn't snow, and I'm on small hills out east (400-800m vertical). I tried a bunch of 88mm skis, 84, 80, 78, 76, etc.. I consistently had the most fun on SL ski's. My favourite were the Rossignol Hero Elite ST Ti, they come in a 167cm or 172cm. They love to turn, but you can carve any shape and they're stable at fairly high speeds. They're skinny and short and no problem in bumps. I had it in my head I would buy an 84-85mm ski and ended up getting a 68mm ski. But I've never had so much fun on groomers. I also tried someones FIS SL ski that was tuned to 87', it made ice feel like chalky snow, amazing. But a little more ski than I needed, felt like I was going to get launched into the next run coming out of some turns.

Anyways, try some short SL skis and you might be pleasantly surprised. I also liked the M-16, it would be fun on a bigger hill with a little more room.
    Good info and similar to my current thought process - east coast skiing probably very much like skiing in Scotland.

Sadly not much use for Praxis RX in these parts - however would be sadly disappointed if there wasn't a little hazing from the TGR collective when the subject of pisten-carven is brought up

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    Here's the thing: I have a 19m ski at 100 underfoot I'm real satisfied with for most days. I'd like something tighter radius for railing like a hard boot snowboarder....so 14/15m.

I skied a 66mm underfoot ski (dynastar speed 66) a bit last year and had major problems with boot out, even stacked absurdly high (started with just the autodrive plate. way too much boot out, so I ended up with look px on top of salomon drive plus plate on top of dynastar autodrive plate) I was booting out, because I'm really heavy so if there's any softness to the snow I dig in pretty deep in a hard carve. I had real problems with that. And if there's some windblown or it's slushy or whatever I don't want to hold back because I'm losing the outside ski once I'm at the turn apex.

So there you go. Tight radius and wide. Just a hair longer radius than a race SL in a much wider waist and preferably 180+ length.
    the new 177cm Enforcer will be 16.5 m sidecut. , there is a new Ramp ski coming out that is supposely a sub 10 meter sidecut with a wider waist.