DPS Wailer Alternative

Any suggestions on a Wailer alternative? I don't enjoy the Kendos I own when there's much fresh stuff, so the past few years I've been renting Wailers in UT or WY. But, I'm in Steamboat next week and DPS skis aren't as easily had in CO.

So, if I can't lay my hands on the Wailers -- any suggestions of a similar ski I might enjoy? Or just something else I should try because I like the Wailers?

Which Wailer?

I would be happy to sell you a pair of Wailers 112RPs for a great price and ship them to you in Steamboat. Send me a PM if interested.

Seth

I'm in 186 wailer 99 flex 3
    Great ski pm if interested

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Which Wailer?
    Sorry, the Wailer 112 hybrid in 190. I don't think I've ever skied the pure.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    praxis Rx
    That's a pricey ski. Will see if any shops in Steamboat rent them.

Quote Originally Posted by greenlander View Post
    Sorry, the Wailer 112 hybrid in 190. I don't think I've ever skied the pure.
    You should try the RPC. Unless you are doing nothing but skiing *tight* tree lines or are light weight with weak legs, chances are you will like the RPC even better.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    You should try the RPC. Unless you are doing nothing but skiing *tight* tree lines or are light weight with weak legs, chances are you will like the RPC even better.
    6'2" 235, so most certainly not "light weight with weak legs". I am, however, a pretty crappy skier. I had read the RPCs were for experts only.

6'2" 235, so most certainly not "light weight with weak legs". I am, however, a pretty crappy skier. I had read the RPCs were for experts only.
    You are also a very honest skier! I've heard of people say they aren't perfect, rarely have I seen self admittance to crappy level.

Might want to keep your eyes out for a rossignol S3 or S7, or maybe something in the salomon rocker line. Maybe a volkl two or a volkl v-werks katana.

There are a lot of great skis out there that are not the DPS wailer - Branch out, talk to a shop Employee and see what he/she may recommend. Might be crap, but you may end up finding something you really like.

You should post in the hook up thread as see who may live I steamboat - maybe you can get a recommendation for a good shop.

Seth

That's a pricey ski. Will see if any shops in Steamboat rent them.
    Fyi, I have a pair of 2014 189 RX's in gear swap for $275 shipped.

DPS tend to be the perfect ski for crappy skiers. Tight sweet spot? Check. Unforgiving? Check. Huge gas pedal.... You get my point. Find something else.
    Uno mas

I had the carbon wailer's for a season which i liked but I love my Lotus 120's
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    You should post in the hook up thread as see who may live I steamboat - maybe you can get a recommendation for a good shop.
    Seth
    Tons of ski choices as others have said. If you don't get any shop recommendations, try Fleischer Sports out: http://www.fleischersport.com/.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation, and limited experience with the shop, but I did perceive a high level of competence in my limited dealings there. Chad Fleischer (ex US Ski Team) takes a very hands-on approach in managing the shop.

Perhaps someone else can comment further.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 02-18-2015 at 12:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    DPS tend to be the perfect ski for crappy skiers. Tight sweet spot? Check. Unforgiving? Check. Huge gas pedal.... You get my point. Find something else.
    I think the "RPC is for experts" are vastly exaggerated. Also the claim that they are very stiff etc, are exaggerated. When you are 200 pounds, they don't feel all that stiff. Not sure what you mean by unforgiving, but I think the RPC is a ski that is super easy to rip on. Given that he already liked the RP, the RPC could be a good fit. The fact that it's stiffer could very well be a benefit for his weight.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    I think the "RPC is for experts" are vastly exaggerated. Also the claim that they are very stiff etc, are exaggerated. When you are 200 pounds, they don't feel all that stiff. Not sure what you mean by unforgiving, but I think the RPC is a ski that is super easy to rip on. Given that he already liked the RP, the RPC could be a good fit. The fact that it's stiffer could very well be a benefit for his weight.
    Not sure how recommending more DPS skis, when the OP has already stated DPS demos are hard to come by in CO, is really helpful. Seth has some good advice above - ask some shops and see what they steer you towards. Soul 7 could be a safe bet, easy skiing and, I'd imagine, readily available for demo/rental.

I've had good experiences with Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare - the shop is right on Lincoln Ave. Try some other skis to mix it up. The Rossi line-up tends to be good for those who aren't great powder skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I've had good experiences with Steamboat Ski and Bike Kare - the shop is right on Lincoln Ave. Try some other skis to mix it up. The Rossi line-up tends to be good for those who aren't great powder skiers.
    Found one shop in Steamboat (Ski Haus) that has DPS - so I may have the RPs as fallbacks and may also try the RPC. They're an Armada shop too, so maybe something there would be similar.

Got pretty interested in demoing the Praxis GPO / Rx, but from what I'm seeing they're not sold at shops anywhere except in Tahoe? Is that possibly correct?

Found one shop in Steamboat (Ski Haus) that has DPS - so I may have the RPs as fallbacks and may also try the RPC. They're an Armada shop too, so maybe something there would be similar.

Got pretty interested in demoing the Praxis GPO / Rx, but from what I'm seeing they're not sold at shops anywhere except in Tahoe? Is that possibly correct?
    Well, back to the drawing board, I guess. The shop I had planned to rent the Wailers from apparently was wrong about having them available. They have the Rossis, but I skied them in a previous year and didn't like them nearly as much as the RPs.

No one in Steamboat has Praxis.

Black Crows Atris are very similar. A touch narrower, heavier and more backbone but not much different overall. Not sure how likely you are to get a pair for demo though.

Not digging up many options, yet. The Rossi 7 series are available, as are the Armada TST and Salomon Q-105. I think one of the shops right on the mountain has Volkls, too. Still looking for more options.