Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lacrosse 2015

Lacrosse 2015

Another season rolls around for the world's great preppie sport

Syracuse looks as slick as old larry's loafers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHV5Hf4PNc
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

That's like Gaits-Powell era. How good is Cornell this year? Looked like good at sieve-ing in that game.

Hakeem Lecky. Kid's a beast. Go MA high school lax.

Watch out for Maryland. They have a lot of depth. Can't wait to see them and Hopkins square off in April

Quote Originally Posted by broberts8 View Post
    Watch out for Maryland. They have a lot of depth. Can't wait to see them and Hopkins square off in April
    Shut uuuuup..... we were snakebit last year by too high expectations!

Hakeem's like 30 this year I think.

Our family's little foray into D1 lax came to a screeching halt earlier this year I'm a bit sad to report. New coach with his own ideas, what are you gonna do? It was kind of a shocker though, everything seemed to be lined up perfect for the kid. Didn't see it coming at all.

edit: But anyways. How's the Big Red looking BigDaddy?
    Last edited by iceman; 02-15-2015 at 11:43 PM.

Sorry to hear Iceman.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    How's the Big Red looking BigDaddy?
    I have medium high expectations. It doesn't seem like we have anyone close to Pannell's caliber, but we have a bunch of returning starters. Should be a decent season, although we will really miss Doug Tesoriero on faceoffs. I am in a watch, hope and fuck syracuse mode.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Sorry to hear Iceman.
    Thanks man. Kid's strength has always been winning the FO clean and quarterbacking the fast break, new coach thinks that with the rule changes there's not gonna be clean wins and the ball's gonna be on the ground, he wanted a d-middie ground ball guy out there. What can you do when the coach thinks your position doesn't exist any more?

Plus between kids from last year and freshmen there was 63 kids and new coach was determined to only keep 45, so lots of cuts. Bunch of seniors got cut. A bunch of recruits got cut too, imagine going someplace as a freshman recruit and getting cut before you ever get on the field. At least our guy got on the field a bunch last year, that was a treat to watch.

Kid was all hot to transfer but picked up a hot GF, and now he's in his first semester without organized sports since he was like 8, and I think he likes the freedom. And he got into a study abroad thing for next fall, which he couldn't have done if he was playing, so I guess it's just over. I'm still adjusting, but he seems fine.
    Last edited by iceman; 02-16-2015 at 09:58 AM.

Kid was all hot to transfer but picked up a hot GF, and now he's... study a broad...
    Duh... silver lining and maybe not the worst thing.

Still, tough to hear. Doesn't look like my friend's kid made it either (and he was recruited, too.)
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Kid was all hot to transfer but picked up a hot GF, and now he's in his first semester without organized sports since he was like 8, and I think he likes the freedom. And he got into a study abroad thing for next fall, which he couldn't have done if he was playing, so I guess it's just over. I'm still adjusting, but he seems fine.
    :thumbs up:

Everyone subscribe to Maryland Lacrosse on YouTube. New videos every week

Cornell's probably better than they looked yesterday. They've only been on a real field once before today. Been practicing in the gym.

Looking forward to Army-Syracuse and the individual match-up between Glesener and Mullins - one of the few times this year each of them will see someone of equal size/athleticism.

I'm still cheering for Lyle Thompson at Albany. Albany may not be a Final 4 again this year but Lyle will again be the best player in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    Looking forward to Army-Syracuse and the individual match-up between Glesener and Mullins - one of the few times this year each of them will see someone of equal size/athleticism.
    Army was was most definitely game. Staats and Donahue just too much.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

Thanks man. Kid's strength has always been winning the FO clean and quarterbacking the fast break, new coach thinks that with the rule changes there's not gonna be clean wins and the ball's gonna be on the ground, he wanted a d-middie ground ball guy out there. What can you do when the coach thinks your position doesn't exist any more?

Plus between kids from last year and freshmen there was 63 kids and new coach was determined to only keep 45, so lots of cuts. Bunch of seniors got cut. A bunch of recruits got cut too, imagine going someplace as a freshman recruit and getting cut before you ever get on the field. At least our guy got on the field a bunch last year, that was a treat to watch.

I was really surprised to see that rule modification. what difference does it make how you pick up the ball as long as it isnt stuck? The NCAA head is designed for that reason, no pinch.

One of our HS kids last year was the key FO guy and was recruited to Amherst. That was one of his most effective moves. Now, we'll see.

Kind of hard to see the career end like that regardless. My youngest is giving me a ridiculous amount of shit about playing this year. He likes spring skiing, and hanging out more than another year of being drilled with 90 mph projectiles. He really wants to quit. Senior year, after playing since second grade? I disapprove. It's a struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Gotz View Post
    Army was was most definitely game. Staats and Donahue just too much.
    Williams was the difference. If Army wins just 40% of the faceoffs (instead of ~16%) it's a different result. If "ifs" and "buts" were candies and nuts ...

Tough game, but it gives a spark of hope for a PL title and maybe a deep tourney run.

MMP, good luck with that, I'd want to see my kid play in that situation for sure.

The rule change shit is kinda funny in a way, it all came to a head with Chris Hampton of Denver last year carrying the ball in the back of his head and rolling it to pass it, old-line lax guys about had a heart attack. Well Chris went to High School with my kid and they've faced off about a thousand times and I'd say it's right on 50/50 over all even though Chris is a year older. Totally different styles. Well the rule change comes in but Chris still has his job at DU but my kid with the more old-timey style is out! I tells ya...

Speaking of faceoffs... a kid from Tufts won 35 of 40 draws yesterday, at Keene State. That's got to be some kind of record.

Also: Tufts lacrosse, motherfuckers. We were not good during my time there but two D3 championships in five years is no fucking around. D3 national champions in field hockey, softball, and men's soccer during that period, too.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky fossil View Post
    That's like Gaits-Powell era. How good is Cornell this year? Looked like good at sieve-ing in that game.

HA HA Uncle Crud was a preppie!!!!

Still have a few pink izod polos to go with your Top Siders (no socks, of course)?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post
    Speaking of faceoffs... a kid from Tufts won 35 of 40 draws yesterday, at Keene State. That's got to be some kind of record.

Also: Tufts lacrosse, motherfuckers. We were not good during my time there but two D3 championships in five years is no fucking around. D3 national champions in field hockey, softball, and men's soccer during that period, too.
    A lot of people's favorite to win it again this year. Ridiculous how good that program got and with a coach who never even played the game. Credit to him- he clearly has a way with college kids. Doesn't hurt that Jumbo admissions loosened up for his sake so he could get some of those Manhasset and Islip kids.

Still, go Wes.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven S. Dallas View Post

A lot of people's favorite to win it again this year. Ridiculous how good that program got and with a coach who never even played the game. Credit to him- he clearly has a way with college kids. Doesn't hurt that Jumbo admissions loosened up for his sake so he could get some of those Manhasset and Islip kids. He's a beast though. I've seen him run practice and he does not fuck around. Definitely defers to assistants for the real skill analysis, but he's a great head coach. Tufts for the win again this year.

Still, go Wes.

Quote Originally Posted by biggins View Post
    Doesn't hurt that Jumbo admissions loosened up for his sake so he could get some of those Manhasset and Islip kids.
    I think it's more accurate to say that the admissions standards for the lacrosse team haven't kept pace with that of the student body at large. After all, my freshman year roommate and backup goalkeeper was from Ward Melville and was dumb as a bag of hammers.

Hey man, those kids still have to graduate from T.U.F.T.S. so I only kid. Respect.

Not for you Dallas, you legacy-abusing bitch

Edit: If anyone in the north country is so inclined- I'm taking a busload of HS kids from the backwoods who don't know nuthin' 'bout lercrosse to a Dartmouth-UVM game on the 24th. Look for a bearded guy trying to control a gong show of adolescence in the stands.

Big Daddy- I hope to be at a Waltham-CC game this season. I'll drop you a line when the game draws nigh.