Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

moab conditions + partner for next weekend?

I assume with all of this ridiculously warm weather in Utah this winter, there is probably plenty of ridable stuff in Moab?

Going to be in slc the next couple of weeks for work and since the skiing looks so crappy I figured I might as well go biking instead.

Any of the shops in Moab still renting bikes this time of year?

Anyone from slc want to take a journey down to moab next weekend (feb 21/22)?

-Austin

Head to St George instead. With the cool down predicted it'll be better. Pretty sure Over The Edge will be renting bikes.

The weather in Moab looks nice for riding to me, with highs in the low 60s and sunshine forecasted for a week from now. St. George may or may not be better, as suggested by zzz. It's not like either is a bad choice.

Poison Spider is open more-or-less year-round and I'm sure the same is true of some of the other major shops. I would call them to ask about trail conditions, but I would assume that pretty much everything except the high-altitude stuff in the La Sal mountains is good to ride.

The skiing has not been the worst in the world locally. It's sloppy spring skiing on a 50-60 inch base.

Cool down? Looks like temps in the high 60's for the foreseeable future. But sitting here on the east coast, I might just be missing some obvious weather pattern shift.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll keep that in mind if it does start to look chillier by next weekend. Good riding in St. George I assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    The weather in Moab looks nice for riding to me, with highs in the low 60s and sunshine forecasted for a week from now. St. George may or may not be better, as suggested by zzz. It's not like either is a bad choice.

Poison Spider is open more-or-less year-round and I'm sure the same is true of some of the other major shops. I would call them to ask about trail conditions, but I would assume that pretty much everything except the high-altitude stuff in the La Sal mountains is good to ride.

The skiing has not been the worst in the world locally. It's sloppy spring skiing on a 50-60 inch base.
    Thanks for the beta. So Poison Spider is the best bet for rentals this time of year?

Skiing might be okay, but I'm a mountain biker at heart who has been dealing with 0 degree temps and constant snowfall on the EC, so nothing sounds better than 60 degrees, sun, and riding some trails at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post
    Thanks for the beta. So Poison Spider is the best bet for rentals this time of year?

Skiing might be okay, but I'm a mountain biker at heart who has been dealing with 0 degree temps and constant snowfall on the EC, so nothing sounds better than 60 degrees, sun, and riding some trails at the moment.
    You'll be pleased. Spring and fall are the best time to ride down there and it has basically been spring for over a month. I was considering going down to the desert myself but we'll see how much I enjoy the skiing today.

Poison Spider is probably the biggest and best-known shop in Moab. They run shuttles from the shop and, like most shops, they've typically got good info on what's riding well. But there are plenty of other outfits that rent bikes and run shuttles, and I'm sure some of them are open right now, too. Poison Spider is just the first place that comes up on most people's mental Google search.

Here in SLC, portions of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail are riding well, as is Antelope Island. And we have Wasatch Indoor Bike Park for after-work goofing off. They're new and still getting things figured out, but worth a visit. Shady north-facing stuff and mid-elevation stuff is a mud pit.

There isn't much out there that's not rideable besides the high elevation stuff. Most trails are in great shape and nice tacky dirt.

Hit up Rim Cycles for any random stuff you may need and for beta. Good peeps there.
    ...tricks deserve applause, style deserves respect

That indoor bike park looks fantastic for some after work fucking around (and is pretty reasonably priced too). Thanks again for the beta.

Jeez, I hadn't looked at the weather for a few days, last I saw was cool and rainy next weekend. But, I'd still hit St. George/Gooseberry area over Moab right now.

So anyone want to join me on a journey from SLC to ride Moab or St. George next weekend? Many beers will in order for anyone who shows me around.

Quote Originally Posted by awf170 View Post

Poison Spider can pound sand compared to some of the other bike outfits in town considering their penchant for nickel and diming every man, woman, and child that walks in (Another vote for Moab cyclery next to city market). Poison spider just happens to be the first thing you see when rolling into town from the North, and provides shuttle service for THE WHOLE ENCHILADA, BRUH!

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Poison Spider can pound sand compared to some of the other bike outfits in town considering their penchant for nickel and diming every man, woman, and child that walks in (Another vote for Moab cyclery next to city market). Poison spider just happens to be the first thing you see when rolling into town from the North, and provides shuttle service for THE WHOLE ENCHILADA, BRUH!
    To be clear, though: TWE is a no-go right now because Burro Pass will still be snowy and/or muddy.

any news on how fruita is riding? I could see 18mile going well right now, with less of the Moab hype

We were just down there this past weekend. We just hiked in Arches and noodled around on Slickrock with the kiddo, but from the looks of things the only thing that is for sure out is Burro. Porcupine may very well be rideable from Hazard and UPS for sure. Everything not in the La Sals is 100% good to go.

Current Moab forecast is for 50ish and sunny. Not quite as nice as last weekend but still great for riding. Can't go wrong with either location. One thing to consider is that flights into St. George are often surprisingly affordable. It's worth looking into since it saves you a ton of driving compared to flying to SLC.

I was just down there this weekend riding I rode the Magnificent 7 trails and didn't run into any snow or wet spots. Some really good riding. Today (monday) it snowed but only for an hour or two and not long enough to have much of an effect on the trails. Pretty much all of the bike shops were open so you still definitely be able to rent. Wish I could make it down again next weekend to ride with you.

moab conditions + partner for next weekend?

Off topic, but still curious, call me out if I should just create a new thread and not cunt up this one.

What are the conditions like in September? I have gone out in August the last six years, but, I'm getting married out there this year so we decided a cooler month would be better. Now I'm thinking it will be a bit crowded or rainy.
    In my experience, August is quite dead on the trails as most of the tourism is foreigners not there to bike. Is September overly crowded?
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

September is great in Moab. It shouldn't be rainy and it won't be quite as crowded as October, especially if the weather in CO is still nice.

The only places the crowds are ever a bother are at the Love Muffin after 7:30am and on TWE from the shuttle drop off to the top of Burro Pass on Fridays and Saturdays and dinner-time on those days if you're trying to go out. TWE might get a little more crowded lower down if you are on the second shuttle run and trying to ride really fast....you'll catch the slower riders from the first round of drops.

With all the great trail networks now, crowds get pretty well dispersed and even when there are lots of of cars at trailheads I don't feel like I see a lot of people out there...especially at Mag 7 and Klondike trails. Amasa Back can seem a little clustered from the road down to the creek sometimes, but once you are climbing Hymasa you'll see very few people.

^^^ that's good to hear. I wonder if my fiancé will get mad if I show up to the wedding covered in red dirt and with my right pant cuff all torn up?

Also, OP, if you go down, stop and eat here (though I wouldn't recommend it if you don't want food poisoning):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1424300327.064291.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	164192
    Sent via care package with protective strafe run

I have next week off and I'm going down to S utah. Probably st george first, maybe Moab and maybe a little skiing in the wasatch on the way back to WA. I'll prob be there by Sunday if you want a partner that day. Not familiar with the area at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    any news on how fruita is riding? I could see 18mile going well right now, with less of the Moab hype
    Also interested if anyone has an answer to this. Sorry for the thread jack

Quote Originally Posted by NWSkier View Post
    Also interested if anyone has an answer to this. Sorry for the thread jack
    based on my facebook feed... really well.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Head to St George instead. With the cool down predicted it'll be better. Pretty sure Over The Edge will be renting bikes.
    Looks like this came to pass after all. Predicted high 40's in Moab and low 60's in St. George.

Anybody have the beta after this recent wetness came in? Forecasts are for mid sixties this weekend but wondering if trails are trashed?
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    Anybody have the beta after this recent wetness came in? Forecasts are for mid sixties this weekend but wondering if trails are trashed?
    Don't most Moab trails ride the best about an hour after a torrential downpour?
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Damn he seems cool.

once you are climbing Hymasa you'll see very few people.