Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

poles ? - Carbon fiber vs aluminum

I keep busting my fixed height ski poles.
    It happens when I'm skiing through the woods (side-country) I'll inadvertently hit it against a rock or tree... they bend and when I try to bend them back they crease and break.

Weight is not really the issue just durability.
    Money is an issue. I'd like to avoid spending $120 on poles.

So, should I go with a carbon fiber pole? a stronger s4 aluminum pole? or just buy a few beater poles for $20?

thanks,

For me I stopped breaking poles when I stopped using wrist straps. The only time I miss them is while flat tracking out.
    No straps may or may not work for you, but worth considering. I have titanium Leki and aluminum BD adjustable poles.

The BD flicklocks are pretty bomber they have a short aluminium upper & long CF lower,
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I've got a pair for scott carbon poles for sale if you are interested. http://rockies.craigslist.org/spo/4878339454.html

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    The BD flicklocks are pretty bomber they have a short aluminium upper & long CF lower,
    That model (Razor) will cost you $125 or so, but they make others. The BD Traverse is an all-aluminum two section pole for $80-85. They are not immune to breaking or bending, but you can buy an extra lower section from BD for $12.95.

Why are you pole planting so hard?

IME carbon/composite is more durable than aluminum. At least they don't bend and mine haven't broken (yet), and I used to bend lots of Al poles. Probably depends on the specific pole though and how you ski. The Scott Taper poles like timmaio is selling are pretty solid for a fixed length carbon. I wrap a few layers of duct tape around the bottom (above the basket) to protect against ski cuts and to look more "core" . The BD carbons are good if you need an adjustable (but stick to fixed if you don't).

K2 4 speeds or whatever they call them now are about a $35-$45 composite pole. Should work well for you.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Have you ever bought a pair of Scott World Cup poles? Or any of their series 4 aluminum poles? As long as you're not a complete retard the things will last forever. I'm not sure what they cost now, but they used to average about $90 and were worth every penny.

Are you skiing without orange ski straps wrapped around each pole just below the grip? That could be the problem.

+1 on Scott World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    They are not immune to breaking or bending, but you can buy an extra lower section from BD for $12.95.
    Really? Where? I have a broken pole I'd like to repair.

Stop hitting things, it is not that hard. I have never broken a pole yet, lost a pair in deep pow, but never broke one, CF Al or bamboo.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Really? Where? I have a broken pole I'd like to repair.
    http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/skiing/spare-parts
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Thanks. They only ship to North America though, so I'll have to source it somewhere else, I guess.

I've had a carbon fiber pole break a few times, accidentally stepped on one and the other I broke skiing at Brushy Basin somehow. My preference is to go with aluminum for lift served and CF for touring, although I'm interested in bamboo for lift served now too, not as brittle as CF.

Where the CF breaks, aluminum bends. A bent pole suck and needs to be replaced anyhow. Touring didn't seem to be part of OPs equation, but that is were aluminum is best NOT CF. When touring you don't want a pole that exploded while you were hiking trough a steep rocky section on the way up. Resort skiing, pretty much anything will do. Pick up the cheapest you can find.

I have and good luck with swix cf and composite poles. Aluminum scott world cup are the best and near indestructable. I think start haus has some for $60 on sale

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    That model (Razor) will cost you $125 or so, but they make others. The BD Traverse is an all-aluminum two section pole for $80-85. They are not immune to breaking or bending, but you can buy an extra lower section from BD for $12.95.
    IME all aluminium 1, 2 or 3 piece aluminium ski poles bend & break whereas the razor ( formerly the flicklock) have the short stiff strong aluminium top piece which escapes bending and the flexible CF lower which is flexible enough to bend a little instead of break also I like the pole action when they are planted they seem to whip back and give a little energy just like a CF hockey sticks, touring with a big group on the weekend everybody had BD's great product IME

I haven't tried a CF 1 piece

I've had a set of BD flick lock for 10+ years. I work on snow and I am a hack so I beat shit up but I've only replaced CF lower section twice in that time. I love those poles.

These days I tend to use those for backcountry and I have a couple pairs of fixed length aluminum poles I use for work. My BC poles stay at home unless in use and the others stay at work.

BD had some fixed length CF poles for something like $40 recently that I was tempted by. I prefer the weight and swing of the CF poles.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I quit hitting stuff with my poles, if i got snow on the boot sole i kick the binding GENTLY till its gone ... poles last longer

I have the bd flick lock. Aluminum upper cf lower. Only problem is in tight trees they get caught and flick open. Tape works.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I quit hitting stuff with my poles, if i got snow on the boot sole i kick the binding GENTLY till its gone ... poles last longer
    But didn't you break a binding recently?

I went on a four-year stretch where I must have broken 6-7 poles of various makes. (Judge away.) The worst were the BD aluminum adjustable poles, but I also broke a carbon pole. That said, I've got maybe 50 days on my BD whippet, and it's still unharmed. Anyhow, in the aftermath of my pole-breaking rampage, I've been using a mismatched pair of a Scott World Cup pole and a Scott rental model for the past three or four years. If I were to lose them, I'd probably try to pick up a pair of Scott rental poles because they seem to be made for abuse and I like the handle. I use them at the resort and in the backcountry, although I often substitute my whippet for one of the poles for spring steeps.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    But didn't you break a binding recently?
    Yeah but I kick the toe piece not the heel piece and i broke a heel piece