Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/arc..._04/017947.php

.Additionally, there was no significant difference between the groups in thinking Colbert was funny, but conservatives were more likely to report that Colbert only pretends to be joking and genuinely meant what he said while liberals were more likely to report that Colbert used satire and was not serious when offering political statements. Conservatism also significantly predicted perceptions that Colbert disliked liberalism.

Note the careful use of terms: conservatives were found to be "more likely" to miss the satire, not "likely" to miss it. So maybe 3% of conservatives missed it and only 2% of liberals?

Imagine if that weren't the case; that would be interesting. How many liberals and conservatives fail to think critically about statistics that support their POV? Similar problem, different part of the brain.

If any of them think that Colbert's a conservative and he's on their side there's a 100% chance they're dumb as rocks, though, right? Statistically speaking.

I'd say no; unfortunately. Most of the people who miss his satire probably miss all satire. But that's just my guess, and I give it approximately 0 weight.

I don't think your argument follows but I'm not gonna parse it right now.

It really is just a guess; you'd want to PM creaky fossil for real expertise here. And probably I have too low a threshold for dumb as rocks. Cause the people I know who totally miss satire are somewhat deficient but high functioning, and live on both sides of the left/right asshattery. So I just figure 100% is a little high.

I don't know anyone I consider smart who would miss clear as can be, over the top satire. Unless they're on the spectrum. Dumb as rocks confirmed.

I was dating a woman--a doctor--who didn't realize that Doctor Strangelove was satire. That relationship didn't last.

What'd she think it was - a documentary?

Jon Stewart leaving the Daily Show

In a way it kinda was!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I was dating a woman--a doctor--who didn't realize that Doctor Strangelove was satire.
    Well, fluoridation of water does impurify our precious bodily fluids.

Not accepting this news yet. It's like losing a general.

My predictions:
    1. Louis CK. (can't believe nobody suggested him yet). One of the smartest men in comedy. Not huge enough to turn it down.

2. Obama. He's already hosted once and he killed it. He's really been loving the opportunity to ham it up during his lame duck period. Kudos. He'll be unemployed soon, and the $30M/yr would keep the girls in nice colleges and have Michelle living on Lake Shore Drive.

3. Chris Hardwick. I actually think he'd be terrible. I don't hate the guy, but I don't find him all that funny or entertaining. Buuuut, I think he fits all the descriptions people are inventing as prerequisites to fill Stewarts shoes. He's a comedian who's intelligent and well read and already in their stable.......so, safe.

Remember, Stewart wasn't just a joke teller. He was a really intelligent guy who could hold his own across from the most successful people in the world. He could attack them, he could make them laugh, he could stay serious with them, he could cry with them. He brought everything to the table. It's why guys like Tosh and Black and Carell could never pull it off.

I'll give you Louis CK - he'd be awesome.

Obama? No way. He'll be running some foundation or something like Clinton. I don't see any POTUS turning into a TV host.

Chris Hardwick and that whole "@midnight" show can suck my ass. Then again he's already wholly owned by Comedy Central so of course he'll get this gig.

Louis CK would be amazing... I give it a 0.000000000000000000000001% chance of happening. That's why he hasn't been mentioned.

Dude - that's worse than of there was not one other person left on the planet. Shit, it's worse than Louis CK or Anyone who has ever lived, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Dude - that's worse than of there was not one other person left on the planet. Shit, it's worse than Louis CK or Anyone who has ever lived, ever.
    TahoeJ makes a good point, don't bet on Louis CK.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Obama? No way, it'd cut into his golf game and hanging with Jay Z and Beyoncé time.

Otherwise it'd be a perfect gig for him seeing how much he loves playing the celebrity role.
    I still call it The Jake.

Well you don't get to be president if you don't like people knowing who you are.

True. But there's a big difference between being a starfucker and a recognizable politician.

Or not. Our American Idol nation seems to prefer electing celebrities now as opposed to your basic political leader but that's another thread for another forum.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    True. But there's a big difference between being a starfucker and a recognizable politician.

Or not. Our American Idol nation seems to prefer electing celebrities now as opposed to your basic political leader but that's another thread for another forum.
    This is nothing new...prolly been going on at least since Kennedy. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the recommendation of Obama for TDS anchor was a joke.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Has anybody suggested Greg Gutfeld? Even though his show, Red Eye is on Fox News, it comes on way past all the old people's bedtimes and is actually pretty hilarious sometimes. It's like the anti-Fox of all the programming on that channel. I'm actually surprised they even have it on there with how risque a lot of his humor is.

He's no Jon Stewart (who is?), but I think he'd man the helm at the Daily Show quite competently. Gutfeld mocks all sides enough to make him eligible in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Has anybody suggested Greg Gutfeld? Even though his show, Red Eye is on Fox News, it comes on way past all the old people's bedtimes and is actually pretty hilarious sometimes. It's like the anti-Fox of all the programming on that channel. I'm actually surprised they even have it on there with how risque a lot of his humor is.

He's no Jon Stewart (who is?), but I think he'd man the helm at the Daily Show quite competently. Gutfeld mocks all sides enough to make him eligible in my book.
    That guy isn't funny and has poor delivery.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

Honey Bucket is one of my favorites. But yeah GG isn't a good fit for TDS.

I really like the suggestions of Chris Rock and Amy Poehler - both would slay. Alec Baldwin would be interesting, he hosted a podcast called "Here's the Thing" where he showed some good interviewing chops, but I think he's too bigtime and not up for the work.
    A couple of other ideas: Will Forte, not sure he's as into news and politics; he'd be amazing but might choose to stick with movies after his success with Nebraska. Aziz Ansari would be hilarious and help them keep the audience demos young, but I don't know if he's interested in this kind of work. Neil Patrick Harris could take the job if he wanted it and would be outstanding, but I doubt he's into it.
    another Handsome Boy graduate