Chronic Compartment Syndrome

just got back from the hospital. I've been having lower leg issues for a while (https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...om-wrong-forum).

A pressure test today confirmed that I have anterior chronic compartment syndrome in both legs.
    Surgery solution is a fasciotomy on both legs.

anyone else have this done?
    Which type of surgery did you have (vascular surgeon said you can do small incision, large incision, or scope it - he prefers large incision for precision)? How was the surgery itself?
    How was the recovery? how long before you were skiing again?
    Any residual issues? Still have pain?
    Any good non-surgical alternatives?
    Anything else I should know?

Thanks mags.

Had this about 15 years ago in my right lower leg, manifested as intense calf pain when exercising, particularly pushing off the forefoot or going uphill. Couldn't run, hike, skin, XC ski, bike (uphill), etc.. Opted for the surgery. Don't remember the surgery details but I have a scar about 2 inches long on the inside of my leg, just behind the shin. Post-op I think I was on crutches for a week. Hit the PT hard after getting off the crutches, I think that lasted 2-3 months. At this point I'm fully recovered, still occasionally feel a little calf pressure but it doesn't stop me (I ran a marathon a few years back, and run, ride, and skin 2000'+ hills all the time). In retrospect I might have tried PT before the surgery (I didn't the first time) but if that didn't work I would definitely do the surgery again.

Ouch.

I'd say just go for the surgery. You either need you muscle to shrink or fascia to stretch.....and it doesn't like to stretch.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Should be doable with a small incision. I'm a vascular surgeon. I might be inclined to have an orthopedist do it if it were my leg.

My surgeon was an orthopedic FWIW.

I had a buddy who had this 20 years ago. He was doing a lot of running for wild land fire fighting, and he developed compartment syndrome in both legs, du to muscle growth I think. He had them surgically released. I had never heard of a case of this happening without some trauma. I had a bad compartment syndrome after a tib/fib break, so I had some experience with it

Just had bilateral fasciotomy yesterday for this. Two pretty sizeable slices down my shins.
    Not really much pain today and I haven't bothered with my pain meds. It's actually less pain right now than just after a few days hard skiing.
    So now the recovery starts. Hope it's quick and solves the issue.

Shoudn't require a lot of rehab--just waiting for the incision to heal enough so you don't bust your incisions open. (How was the skin closed--stitches you can see, staples, or stitches you can't see. If the latter they stay in and given more strength to the incsion until they dissolve in a few months). And getting back your conditioning.

just got back on skis Saturday for the first time since surgery. 5.5 weeks - a little earlier than recommended, but I just wanted to test the legs. Also got a MTB yesterday.
    felt great. a bit of swelling, but I certainly had less pain than I ever have before skiing. I did a couple small drops and for once in my life it didn't hurt to land!

so far so good. To anyone else considering the surgery - so far my recommendation is to do it! Even the worst part of the pain after surgery was still not very bad at all, and less pain than just a day of skiing was before.

Apparently CECS is actually way more common that you'd think and often goes undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed as shin splints or stress fractures or weak muscles (it's actually the opposite) or something else. Bug your docs if you think you even have a chance of having compartment syndrome. Basically every professional told me they didn't think I had it (or just hadn't heard of it), and I had to push to get the test done to confirm.

heres hoping it solves the issues in the long run. stoked to finally go skiing without pain.
    now time to lose all the extra couch-weight.