rear der question

Currently running 1x8. Planning on a new bike this summer. Meanwhile, ripped off and mangled my rear deraileur. So I want to replace it on a budget. Can I take a shitmano M615 shadow 10 speed, swap out the pullys to get the right chain width and ride on?

Same question applies to my 9 speed. My xc ride is an 04? rocky MT slayer with saint hub, derailleur built to a burly rim. The rear wheel is heavy as fuck, I've got a magic x321 hoop, spokes and a old but new xt hub I'm considering building to lighten up my ride and change the rapid rise shifting to "normal" to match every other bike I own (after many years it still fucks me up).

Riding in February in the Kootenays. So, so wrong, yet great.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I think the 10spd mtb mechs have a different index/pull ratio than the 7/8/9 spd stuff, so a new 10 spd der probably won't work.

^^ truth. The 10spd stuff has a different pull ratio than the 7, 8 or 9.

As for the pulley wheels, the only reason you'd want to change them would be to bring the sides of the cage (that houses the pulley wheels) closer together so a narrower chain would not hop off the pulley wheel and sit between the cage and said pulley wheel. That make sense? I don't even know it's possible I only know I've experienced it after having bent the crap out of mine.

The variance in chain widths between 8 and 9 (or even 10) is so marginal that swapping out the pulley wheels is likely of no benefit.

So you're good to go swapping the rapid rise to the XT on the Slayer, but you'll need an old 7, 8 or 9 speed rear D for the other.

I know the pull might be different but I can use a spacer at the cable but to make it right. Mostly concerned with an 8 speed chain trying to go through a 10 speed cage. I'm thinking one speed probably not much difference in width but 2 could make for a tight fit.
    You are what you eat.

Probably not something many people have had to, or tried to, or thought much about doing.
    You are what you eat.

I have used a 9spd chain on a 10spd drivetrain before in a pinch. Not the most crispy shifting (shifting really was not the issue rather if the adjustment was slightly off it wanted to ghost shift) ever but it worked. Not an 8spd width but pretty close. In other words, it will probably fit okay.

I'd like to think that you could get yourself into a 9 speed drive train super cheap right now. Everyone's upgrading or upgraded to 10 speed, and there's loads of lightly used 9sp cassettes, shifters and RDs in parts bins just gathering dust.
    My $0.02

I think the only reliable combination is a Shimano 10 speed derailleur with a spacer with Sram 9 speed shifters (Been running this combo for 1 1/2 years now). You get the advantage of a clutch, with the cheaper and I think stronger 9 speed replacement parts.

Shimano 9 speed shifters do not work with Shimano 10 speed derailleur.

I think you can pretty much forget trying to do a partial upgrade with anything 8 speed.

Holy shit 8spd is old. Go on ebay and get some used parts before prices get out of hand. Shimano or sram?

Pull ratio is the same for 8 and 9 speed so I figure I should be good to run my SRAM 8 sp shifter with a clutched shitmano der. I'll post results.
    You are what you eat.

Stop thinking high end and just get what works. Save a few bucks and make the bike work and go ride it. Old Alivio or Deore or whatever. 20 maybe 30 bucks and you're riding.

FYI, a Sram X0 8 speed shifter is compatible with a shitmano zee shadow 10 speed rear derailleur. Bolt it on, tune it up and ride. So easy, no spacer required.
    You are what you eat.