G3 Empire 115 sizing

Hey all,

Just scored an incredible deal on some new Empire 115's (the white, non-carbon ones). The guy only had 180cm available and I was somewhat hesitant to commit due to the shorter running length and reverse camber, but it was a really tough deal to pass up. This will be my primary sidecountry/burly AT setup with Barons or Guardians and I am coming off touring on 186 Night Trains with Solly MFDs. The NT/Solly is now my dedicated resort setup (RIP MFD). Rocker profiles are similar - G3 probably has a little less in the tail.

I am 5'10", 170, ski aggressively, and typically seek out cliffs, kickers, etc. whenever available. I thought 180 cm would do the trick as I'd save some weight and would use them strictly for touring (but possibly 10% of the time at a resort). They are also super stiff.

Did I go too short here? Are dedicated backcountry setups typically a little shorter than dedicated resort setups? They are still wrapped in plastic so if I do decide to upgrade to 185 I'd rather get them on the market in new condition rather than mounted and used a couple times.

Thanks for any input!

Probably fine, but if you are touring is mixed/shitty/hard conditions you'll probably be wishing for more edge contact. If those days are for he resort fire away.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

I'm 5'9" / 165 & not aggressive (huck nothing), and ski the 183cm Empire 127 and think it's perfect. Considering a pair of the 115 in the 180 or 185 length (especially since they can be found for just over $200 new), for your size & level the 185 would no doubt be better, maybe even go 190 for resort use. They're stiff missiles, don't cheat yourself with the little guy length.

I'm 5'11" 150lbs and ride the Manhattan in a 180 which is just about right. I would size up if I were getting an Empire. 185 would be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    They're stiff missiles, don't cheat yourself with the little guy length.
    Wouldn't this amount of stiffness allow a slightly shorter ski to perform comparatively to that of a longer, less-stiff ski? i.e. super-stiff Empire 180 performs similarly to medium-stiff Night Train 186 (rocker profile held equal).

^ That's logical, but you could buy a longer pair for the same couple hundred bucks you'd get for your 180s. If I'm debating between 180 & 185 (for even more crud-destroying stability & stiffness), it's a no-brainer to go longer for you. The continuous rocker allows these to be really stiff yet still playful, why not take full advanage of the design.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ That's logical, but you could buy a longer pair for the same couple hundred bucks you'd get for your 180s. If I'm debating between 180 & 185 (for even more crud-destroying stability & stiffness), it's a no-brainer to go longer for you. The continuous rocker allows these to be really stiff yet still playful, why not take full advanage of the design.
    Agreed for the most part. Like I said though, I got a really good deal. Unfortunately I can't find 185s for nearly the same price that I paid for the 180s, but you're more than welcome to PM me if you've got the inside scoop.