Thread: Rope jumping

Rope jumping

Who's into it?

I've only done it once, on Corona arch last April. It was tons of fun, I'd do it there again if it didn't get banned.

Rigging

Swinging

I've been looking into swings and jumps from a few bridges I've scoped out. Anyone know the legality of this (especially in colorado)? I've looked into the CO revised statutes and cannot find anything.

Totally legal on BLM land unless they've explicitly banned it at a particular spot (like they did at Corona Arch).

Know any specifics on bridges? I know you can swing and BASE jump on Perrine Bridge in Idaho legally. I bet the laws banning BASE jumping from certain bridges may also ban rope jumping.

No idea on bridges, but it's a safe assumption that it's illegal to set up a rope swing on anything but Perrine. AFAIK Perrine is the only bridge in the country where BASE is legal.

I've been thinking about how much fun this is. I've only done it with a commercial company, AJ Hackett in Queenstown, New Zealand. They used two static lines and a full body harness attached to a steel frame structure. I'm really curious about how much more robust the rock anchors and general setup have to be. It seems standard to use two dynamic climbing ropes attached to a standard climbing harness for the rest of the setup.

Hi zartagen,Thanks for your informative post..I have seen only in rope jumping in movie..But it's not worth...First time i am so impressed what you have in rope jumping in this forum..Keep in touch with us..Thanks once again zartagen...

is rapelling corona arch illegal as well as rope swinging? I know they banned the swing because so many people rigged it improperly and hit the deck but it would be a shame if simply lowering off ropes from the bolts weren't allowed. it's such a fun, casual outing that it is nice to bring people on.

They temporarily banned all roped activities on the arch for aesthetic reasons. I can tell you first hand that people thought the swing was cool as hell. If only there were a national park full of arches to look at and photograph 15 minutes away.

Hopefully the ban doesn't get renewed.

tiffanyroy Guest
    I would love to do this. If I get chance, I will definitely do this.

I do not think that you would be able to do that with first attempt. Because rope jumping is so difficult and requires so much power and little bit of technique to do that. So practice and determination can make you able to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by zartagen View Post
    Know any specifics on bridges? I know you can swing and BASE jump on Perrine Bridge in Idaho legally. I bet the laws banning BASE jumping from certain bridges may also ban rope jumping.
    Ummmmmmmmmm, I don't think this is true. Please don't attach anything to the Perrine Bridge until you check with local law enforcement. There has been enough bad press from BASE jumpers at Twin Falls the past couple weeks as it is. Last I knew it was not OK to tie off anything to the bridge (and I can't imagine that rule has changed) and stuff like this jeopardizes jumping access for everyone. Especially with the unofficial Bridge Day festival being in Twin Falls this year, who knows what shenanigans are going to happen...

"IDOT also requests that no one stand on the railing, in order to limit the distraction to oncoming motorists. Jumpers are asked not to climb on the understructure of the bridge (the steel girders) or tie anything off to the bridge. IDOT employees actually follow this same protocol. When they perform their annual inspection of the bridge, they use a large extended boom to reach underneath the structure."

Quoted from here: https://www.apexbase.com/base-jumpin...in-falls-idaho

I stand corrected. Judging from a number of videos showing swinging on the Perrine, I assumed it was also legal.

Did this on the new River gorge bridge (late 80's) with locals in the middle of the night. It was fun to do it once and survive.
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

OOOOHHHH, Greece is going on the short list of places to visit, and its because of this 200m freefall! That's as close to BASE jumping as I'll ever need to get. Stoked that this a commercial.

Damn.