Page 192 of 271 FirstFirst ... 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 ... LastLast
Results 4,776 to 4,800 of 6764
    Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    I just never know what kind of reaction I'll get around here, but thanks everyone for providing a ton of great information, and maybe setting my mind at ease a little about my wife's health. I forgot to mention, she had a super-painful leg cramp at the outset of this, which is why she was wobbly and needed help to the bathroom. Her doctor explained that the vasovage episode can be triggered by severe pain, exhaustion (I think), and other stuff I can't remember now. I should have known the dentists of TGR would have good intel on the subject!

I can fully appreciate zzz's rant after 15 years in public safety, the past 7 of which have been about nothing but cutting back everywhere. We seem to currently have a pretty contentious relationship with our Commissioners and County manager, and it's killing morale and impacting response times/outcomes, whether anyone wants to acknowledge it or not. I don't know how you avoid burnout when you're constantly struggling to recruit and keep people for $4-5 less/hr than neighboring agencies, and 40 hours + on console every week for almost a year doesn't leave me much time to manage my division, but I'm still hanging on and trying not to be the biggest black hole of negativity in the room.

Reading some of the comments, it reminds me of my place in the response chain. I will never have the medical expertise many of you do, but you would probably never be able to calmly and professionally tell a caller dialing 9-1-1 is not a good way to test their new device. Don't even get me started on the traffic complaints... It's also sort of a gut check to be on the other side of the chain, being the one with the medical emergency. I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to feel what it's like when it's your emergency, not someone else's that you can be clinical about. I know my triggers are more aural than visual, but I'm guessing we all have them as a result of previous traumatic incidents related to our work. I've built up a pretty good callus over the years, and it's not the worst thing to be reminded that no matter what mood I'm in at the office, my caller is likely having their worst day ever, similar to what I've experienced a couple of times now. Those people deserve the best I can give, regardless of external factors, and this recent event has helped bring that point back into sharper focus.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and sharing your knowledge.
    darned Good post !

Thank you ! !! tj

I can tell you from personal experience that muscle cramps can cause a vagal reaction, although I don't believe I've ever passed out. I'd have to check with my wife to be sure about that.

My personal trigger is anything that sounds like a pager. I physically startle, and I've been retired for ten years.

An anesthesiologist is riding coach on an airplane when they page overhead for a doctor. He reluctantly responded and when asks what kind of doctor he says anesthesiologist. The stewardess says “great! There’s a surgeon on first class who needs his tray table put down “.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    An anesthesiologist is riding coach on an airplane when they page overhead for a doctor. He reluctantly responded and when asks what kind of doctor he says anesthesiologist. The stewardess says “great! There’s a surgeon on first class who needs his tray table put down “.

Haha. My Anesthesiologist buddy changed the classic doctor joke. "What do you call the person who graduated at the bottom of their medical school class? Anesthesiologist"..

Hey now. My dad was anesthesiologist. RIP

Way smarter than a GP

It’s a weird job. Lots of boredom interrupted by sheer panic

Just trying to add some levity to the discussion.

lol
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^that was pretty good. I'd show it to the wife, but then I'd have to tell her about this thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Hey now. My dad was anesthesiologist. RIP

Way smarter than a GP

It’s a weird job. Lots of boredom interrupted by sheer panic
    those guys are fucking wizards
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yeah. They say we get kidney stones and atrial fibrillation. Can’t take a piss and random shots of adrenaline

Yeah. They say we get kidney stones and atrial fibrillation. Can’t take a piss and random shots of adrenaline

Feels like you can solve one of those problems with a catheter.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

At my hospital the anesthesiologists and anesthetists got relieved at least every two hours. And five minutes after they switched the patient always seemed to wake up.

How about a true doctor on an airplane story. Guy passes out, flight attendant calls for a doctor. Guys lying on the floor, groggy but not out, able to answer my questions, not hurting, nauseated, etc, strong pulse not rapid. Not sweating. As the FA goes for a BP cuff and whatever other emergency stuff my RN wife blessherheart basically shoves me out of the way and takes over. Guy recovers fairly rapidly and is fine the rest of the trip. My wife diagnoses dehydration--which is her diagnosis for everything. Easier to let her deal with it unless things go south.

My wife loves to deal with emergencies. Like the alcoholic renter next door bleeding out from his esophagus. She can turn him on his side to keep him from aspirating as well as I can and as nurse she's a lot better at getting vomited on than I am.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    At my hospital the anesthesiologists and anesthetists got relieved at least every two hours. And five minutes after they switched the patient always seemed to wake up.

How about a true doctor on an airplane story. Guy passes out, flight attendant calls for a doctor. Guys lying on the floor, groggy but not out, able to answer my questions, not hurting, nauseated, etc, strong pulse not rapid. Not sweating. As the FA goes for a BP cuff and whatever other emergency stuff my RN wife blessherheart basically shoves me out of the way and takes over. Guy recovers fairly rapidly and is fine the rest of the trip. My wife diagnoses dehydration--which is her diagnosis for everything. Easier to let her deal with it unless things go south.

My wife loves to deal with emergencies. Like the alcoholic renter next door bleeding out from his esophagus. She can turn him on his side to keep him from aspirating as well as I can and as nurse she's a lot better at getting vomited on than I am.
    Um, that closer is a whole other story. We've seen this kind of if story telling mentioned lately.

Man, not where I work. If I see a lunch break before 3-4pm I’m stoked

Man, not where I work. If I see a lunch break before 3-4pm I’m stoked

Work for Kaiser and you never even have to set foot in an OR most days, just sit at your desk, do some preops, some epidurals.

wow
    There's an incredibly dense communication right there.

The Kaiser is dead!

Long live the káiser roll

my buddy the anesthetist would sit there behind a screen reading a copy of " TheGuardian " and scanning vital signs, sez he didnt even need to wear a mask pre covid, sounds like it paid the large $$$$ and he didnt need to have an office
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Then there was the anesthesiologist at Sutter Memorial Hospital in Sacramento who was sticking his dick in the mouths of anesthetized patients. Went on for a while because no one would believe the nurses who reported him. Including the chief of surgery, who later killed himself. The anesthesiogist only served 5 years of an 8 year sentence.
    Most anesthesiologists aren't like that though.

Most anesthesiologists aren't like that though.
    Reassuring
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

I’ll request a female anesthesiologist next time I need one. Just in case.

Or just pass on the anesthesia altogether, for the love of Dog.

To be fair to the anesthesiologists--woman sues gyn husband who sewed her vagina shut because she was having an affair.
    https://apnews.com/article/0a5b93025...21be2ab347c5fa

To be fair to the anesthesiologists--woman sues gyn husband who sewed her vagina shut because she was having an affair.
    https://apnews.com/article/0a5b93025...21be2ab347c5fa
    Not sure where to start with that on - soooo much weirdness; imma go with ...... guessing her affair was with an anesthesiologist.

So over the last 4 months my wife lost 75 lbs on a crazy diet program. Weigh in's. Shakes from a pouch. Pan fried crushed cauliflower for breakfast. None or limited tastes of every food that Americans eat. She cooks dinner just for me now. Stews, Cassaroles, roasts. Last week she brought me a case of Boost from Costco. What is going on here?
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.