Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Any Indy bases rock-and-bush-proof?

Discuss; I want rock and bush-proof bases.

I'll sell my shit for rock-proof bases, even if the skiing isn't as silky_smooth as my bovine skis of choice...

The money and time saved from base-grinds and trips to the "ski shop" will off-set the cost of skis after TGR sale...

On3p and praxis would be a good start.

All ski manufacturers source their base material from one of three sources. There just isn't much difference.
    Faster (ie; P-tex 4000) = easier to gouge and repair. Tougher (ie; extruded plastic) = crappy glide and harder to work with.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    anything made by Never summer.
    Hahaha i tore open a brand new die cut base at Abasin.

Strong, yes, but rock proof? Nope

For whatever reason, Blizzard bases are soft like butter but real fast. Atomic, Salomon, Rossi, 4frnt are still fast but more durable. Moment and On3p are the most durable imo but neither hold wax great, and both have slower bases all else being equal.

Bake more wax in there. Lots. It helps.
    Maybe even be a little less thorough with scraping. That's what brushes and buff pads are for.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Praxis have been a pleasant surprise. Moments were super tough bases as well. Most big brands are shite. Rossi/dyna star being the worst. Yrs ago I had some volkl w a clear base that was very tough but nothing has compared to the praxis and moment skis i have/have had

my 192 bro models have been shockingly durable.

My billy goats are quite tough
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I coreshotted a pair of Praxis Protests, but I'm fairly convinced less skis would've been more broken due to the nature of the impact (trucking blower over volcanic rock, hit made me do a forward somersault).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    my 192 bro models have been shockingly durable.
    Yep, my Lhasa Fats have been tough as well.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Praxis 1, then on3p 2nd IMO. Much better than lines and k2 and rossi's I've been on

spook Guest
    i hear onp3 is plenty durable on the base anyway

this is about as fucking stupid a question as " is a SRAM derailleur more bomber than a Shimano ? "

you hit any ski base with a rock its gona scratch or gouge, you hit any derailleur on a rock it might break and the thing is you never hit either of them exactly the same way ... anecdotal evidence

so pick the red skis
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

No no no, red boots; ski with robots.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Fix your own core shots and gouges next to an edge, ignore the rest, base grinds when the bases are no longer flat--shouldn't be that often

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Fix your own core shots and gouges next to an edge, ignore the rest, base grinds when the bases are no longer flat--shouldn't be that often
    Fix your own *fucking* core shots.

IMO/YMMV etc.

Praxis, ON3P are excellent.
    Moment is just a slight cut below.

I actually think folsom is more durable than all of the above.

Of bigger brands, 4frnt is the best, but I would generally describe big brand bases as fragile.

Folsom > praxis > on3p > moment > dps > 4frnt > everything else.

I bet worth skis and h2oG skis are in the same class as praxis/on3p. But I have not used any of those myself.

Edit - pm gear is up there above moment but below folsom somewhere.
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 01-31-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Praxis, ON3P, PM Gear, and Moment use the same base material don't they? Durasurf 4001? 1.6mm, 1.8mm, 1.6mm, and 1.2mm respectively, I think. Industry standard is 1.2mm. Praxis makes Worth skis and h2o, right? Blizzard bases are as soft as I've ever seen. I'm sure a few other big companies are just as bad, though. I'd agree that 4frnt is better than most big guys. I think Volkl is too, or at least the old Volkls?
    Last edited by Lindahl; 01-31-2015 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I bet worth skis and h2oG skis are in the same class as praxis/on3p. But I have not used any of those myself.
    Worth skis are pretty bomber... survived yesterday's stump jumping session just fine.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post

h2oG skis are in the same class as praxis/on3p. But I have not used any of those myself.
    H2OG older models were bomber for sure. Jury is still out on the new stuff. Keith ain't pressing them anymore. Someone in SLC is pressing them now. Interested to see how that turns out.

Otherwise yeah rocks and plastic don't mix well.

can only speak for on3p and praxis and both are a huge step above my blizzard, line and solly skis!

The wrong side of the Atlantic, the wrong side of the Channel...
    Plus one for Folsom - my Gambits are bomber.

I'd rather have bomber edges. Seem to blow them up beyond repair more often.

Don't have much experience with non-indy skis, but my Moments (Bibbys) are considerably less durable than my ON3Ps and Praxis. I actually thought durability was pretty poor on the Bibbys (I have no fewer than 10 major core shots) and the skis have softened up a ton with ~60 days on them. Super fun skis, just not durable, and considering everyone says Moments are fairly bomber, I've chosen to go only with Praxis and ON3P moving forward.

New ON3Ps feel slightly more durable than new Praxis, but they're also heavier, so that makes sense. My most durable skis ever are the original camo Praxis Pows. No core shots in 10 years of searching out rocks plus rounded sidewalls and some sort of vinyl topsheet. Completely indestructible--when you hit a rock, the rock breaks off into the base instead of the base getting torn up.