Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Clipping Pieps DSP in beacon pocket

EDIT NOTE, THIS IS IN ACCURATE: As far as I can tell, the cord for the Pieps DSP Sport (and Pro) will need to be cut and re-rigged to utilize it in a pants beacon pocket or elsewhere. It appears, simply pulling out as much of the shock cord before cutting and attaching a barrel lock or something to form an adjustable loop for the pocket clip would work. Cutting the existing cord and replacing the looped cord is currently Plan B. I'll probably want to keep the sling option available and will need to clip it onto the sling as well.

Any other better approaches? Any dos and don'ts?

EDIT: The beacon can be fished through the thin cord to free it from the harness to use on a lanyard. Mine did come with the lanyard, but apparently the lanyard is included for both the Pro & Sport beacons.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 02-01-2015 at 08:43 AM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

What is wrong with the secondary lanyard they come with? I use mine in my pants pocket just fine with that.

How on earth does carrying your beacon in a pants pocket not drive you nuts? Put it on your chest.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    How on earth does carrying your beacon in a pants pocket not drive you nuts? Put it on your chest.
    There's these crazy things called bibs that have pockets - wait for it - on your chest.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    There's these crazy things called bibs that have pockets - wait for it - on your chest.
    So is it just loose in your bib pocket then? What happens in a search scenario? Is it still somehow clipped to your body, so you don't drop it? Why even remove it from the manufacturers sling? What is the benefit?
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

More comfy than harness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I hear that it's super-steezy to wear your goggles under your helmet too. Which also makes no sense.
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Boy, I'd say you also need a good powder day, DCNP.

I can't even try this out yet to see if I like or not. I'm just looking at setting a good option.

The above comments has me wondering where would be the ideal location and connection for a beacon?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Is it still somehow clipped to your body, so you don't drop it?
    Reread the OP...................
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Just buy a length of shock cord. That way you can keep the harness intact

So is it just loose in your bib pocket then? What happens in a search scenario? Is it still somehow clipped to your body, so you don't drop it? Why even remove it from the manufacturers sling? What is the benefit?
    Using the tether that comes with the beacon, clipped to a belt loop?

This concept is significantly less complicated than performing a beacon search to begin with. Remind me not to tour with you.

To clarify:

On the DSP Sport there is a sealed connection between the cord and shock cord for good reason, I presume. There is no current lanyard option without cutting unless the connection under the seal can be disconnected and reconnected. Anyone know?
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Investigate the connection between the cord and the Pieps; the cord can be removed without cutting and everything stays intact.

I have a dedicated beacon pocket in my OR pants with a lanyard clip. Very easy to whip it out. Faster than harness. Lighter. Less cumbersome than harness. I'd tour with me.

OP, cut the cord. If you have to, go to your local gear shop and buy some more shock cord. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

I hear that it's super-steezy to wear your goggles under your helmet too. Which also makes no sense.
    Or, you could just read the Pieps instruction manual, which suggests putting it in your pocket.
    Or, you could look at some pants designed for backcountry skiing by some folks that actually know their shit, something like the OR trailbreaker which has a bartacked reinforced clip inside a receiver pocket which is built for your beacon.
    But that might just expose you as an ignorant cunt, so maybe don't.

With brain power like that, what the fuck are you doing in terrain that might require a beacon in the first place?
    Super-steezy to look like you know what you're doing, isn't it.

I cut it off and tied a plastic camera clip to the end, then sewed plastic "D" rings in several pockets. I used it both with the harness and in pockets depending on where I'm skiing.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/misc_hardware.html

You could use the strap that comes with it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1422722216.582828.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	908.0 KB 
ID:	163275
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    Or, you could just read the Pieps instruction manual, which suggests putting it in your pocket.
    Or, you could look at some pants designed for backcountry skiing by some folks that actually know their shit, something like the OR trailbreaker which has a bartacked reinforced clip inside a receiver pocket which is built for your beacon.
    But that might just expose you as an ignorant cunt, so maybe don't.

With brain power like that, what the fuck are you doing in terrain that might require a beacon in the first place?
    Super-steezy to look like you know what you're doing, isn't it.
    I've owned Ortovox, Tracker, and Pieps beacons. They all came with body harnesses... for a reason.
    Some manufacturers purposely design their beacons so that they will only work when the harness strap is plugged in. They do that to prevent people from just chucking it into a pocket. Jackets, packs, and gloves often get stripped from victims in a slide.
    "Always strap the beacon directly to your body, under your outerwear" is what the owners manuals say.
    Just because some ski clothing is now being made with designated beacon pockets doesn't mean that it's the safest way to go. But you seem to buy into clothing features being a better idea than a harness.
    It's your choice. I'll keep using the manufacturer's harness.

Don't even get me started on why some jackets have "goggle pockets" either. Does anyone actually ski around with goggles in there breast pockets?
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

EDITED ABOVE: The Sport does not have a lanyard option and is 'hardwired" to the harness. The Pro comes with a lanyard option.

Thanks Greg. That's the creative thinking I'm looking for. Where do you draw the line between pocket and harness?

With plenty of cord and shock cord around, I can easily cut the umbilical cord and dream up something, but I thought I'd ask before cannibalizing the existing cord system and re-inventing the wheel. For pants pockets without clips and those who can't sew, looping to a belt might be basically the same connection to the body, eh?

Aside from clipping to a pocket, simply having a reliable option to unclip the beacon from the harness and pouch for things like practicing would be more convenient than removing pack, jacket, harness, etc.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    EDITED ABOVE: The Sport does not have a lanyard option and is 'hardwired" to the harness. The Pro comes with a lanyard option.
    I purchased both a pro and a sport just before Xmas to replace our old F1's. Both came attached to a harness, and had an optional lanyard in the package. Neither are 'hardwired' to the harness (both have ample length in the loops to detach from the harness). Different product set-up for your market vs here in BC? Seems strange...

FWIW, when I am wearing a radio chest harness, I put my beacon on its lanyard and store it in my zippered pants pocket. Otherwise it stays on its provided harness. Practised with both extensively this past week and found neither application to be significantly lacking in operation.

Interesting. There was no lanyard. I have another one coming which I'll double check to confirm.

From instructions:

Carrying recommendation: PIEPS recommends
    carrying the PIEPS DSP PRO/DSP SPORT using the
    supplied carrying harness. The neoprene-material is
    water repellent, and the “Quick-pull-System” enables
    you to access the PIEPS DSP PRO/DSP SPORT very
    quickly in case of emergency.

There is also the option to carry the PIEPS DSP PRO/
    DSP SPORT with the supplied hand loop in a securely
    closeable trouser pocket without a protective case.
    The hand loop can be fixed around your wrist during
    the search to rule out losing the PIEPS DSP PRO/DSP
    SPORT.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com

Clipping Pieps DSP in beacon pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Interesting. There was no lanyard, nor do the instructions refer to one. I have another one coming which I'll double check to confirm.
    Both models share the exact same manual. Manuals are both dated 08/2013. Pp 21 (EN) details the recommended carrying harness, and 'the option to carry with the supplied hand loop in a securely closeable trouser pocket without a protective case.'

Edit: you found and beat me to it.

I like the pocket carry cuz there is less straps (I like suspenders) to get in the way, most soft shell pants have zipper pockets with cord zipper-pulls, I clip my beacon to the cord zipper-pull and stuff the lanyard into the pocket, a bit of the lanyard does stick out before going into the pocket but not a problem IME
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Never mind. Epic dumb ass fail.

I swear I tried this first thing without success to simply loop the beacon through the thin cord. The camera clip approach will be easier than fishing the thin cord through each time switching between harness and lanyard/pocket modes.
    Best regards, Terry

SlideWright.com