Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpinord View Post
    Where do you draw the line between pocket and harness?
    It depends on what I'm wearing, but mostly harness for touring (my softshell pants all have velcro cargo pockets, and I have a camera and food in them anyway) and mostly pockets for side country. In this part of the world, it's rare that you don't strip down to base layers at least some of the time for the uphill, so a zippered pant pocket makes more sense than a harness hanging loose over your shirt if you have a choice.

Some of the new BD pants have a thigh pocket with an integrated Pieps harness with reinforced stitching and padding. Looked pretty slick to me.

FWIW, I had a buddy get caught in a slide while ascending many years ago. His harness was in pieces and the beacon was barely caught on a boot buckle. Like I do most of the time, he was ascending in a base layer and the beacon outside.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Some of the new BD pants have a thigh pocket with an integrated Pieps harness with reinforced stitching and padding.
    "Only compatible with Pieps brand tranceivers" no doubt . . .

Never heard of anyone losing their pants in a slide. I like the new "beacon pockets" finding them way comfier than those clumsy harnesses, and I too like that my beacon isn't exposed while skinning in warmer weather down to base layers.

Quote Originally Posted by johngenx View Post
    Never heard of anyone losing their pants in a slide.
    I've heard of people losing pants, boots, and even legs in slides.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I've heard of people losing pants, boots, and even legs in slides.
    And surviving? It seems like with trauma like that, a bacon is only of limited value

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I like the pocket carry cuz there is less straps (I like suspenders) to get in the way, most soft shell pants have zipper pockets with cord zipper-pulls, I clip my beacon to the cord zipper-pull and stuff the lanyard into the pocket, a bit of the lanyard does stick out before going into the pocket but not a problem IME
    I have a pair of the schoeller/windstopper BD pants with the Pieps pocket and like them for this reason. I like suspenders as well and there are less straps to get in the way. No problems with delayering while ascending and the bulkiness around the waist is gone...more room for beer and bacon! I have been touring in them and dont find having the beacon on the thigh a problem.
    Life is all about ass...either you are covering it,
    kicking it, hauling it, kissing it, or trying to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    And surviving? It seems like with trauma like that, a bacon is only of limited value
    No, but there's no underestimating the value of bacon.

Been wearing my bacon in my bib pocket for several hundred days now. It makes sense to have it as part of my clothing that I wear every day, not an extra item. And it is much, much more comfortable.

But when are these things going to become smaller and lighter? When they get more expensive, I guess.
    Life is not lift served.

if you got the beacon in your pocket its in your pocket and not in the way of your other kit, we had a couple of swedes come thru here so one of them somehow takes his beacon off, leaves it at the top of the 5000 face and has to go back for it the next day ... there must be a derogatory Swedish joke in there

Some thing that has stuck with me from an aviy course was the guy who said "I've recovered 26 bodies for the attorney general some of them without limbs or a head"
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    I've owned Ortovox, Tracker, and Pieps beacons. They all came with body harnesses... for a reason.
    Some manufacturers purposely design their beacons so that they will only work when the harness strap is plugged in. They do that to prevent people from just chucking it into a pocket. Jackets, packs, and gloves often get stripped from victims in a slide.
    "Always strap the beacon directly to your body, under your outerwear" is what the owners manuals say.

Just because some ski clothing is now being made with designated beacon pockets doesn't mean that it's the safest way to go. But you seem to buy into clothing features being a better idea than a harness.

It's your choice. I'll keep using the manufacturer's harness.

Don't even get me started on why some jackets have "goggle pockets" either. Does anyone actually ski around with goggles in there breast pockets?
    This is my thinking as well. If the unthinkable happens and you're taking the big ride, do you really want to have your beacon in a cargo pocket or other pants pocket below your waist? Do you really want it that exposed, even if you're not separated from it?

Intuitively, right under your ribs is an ideal spot to protect it.

Cheers,
    Thom

A lot of knee jerk reactions here...

I wear my beacon in a cargo pocket on my pants which is sewn(not glued). It is much more comfortable for me to wear that way. Like x10 more comfortable. I have had many very experienced people(guides, avvy instructors, etc) state in no uncertain terms this is fine to do. I also like to think of myself as making very conservative terrain choices and am very careful with avalanches. And also think lots about avvy and other safety.

I wore my tracker 2 in the harness for probably my first 2 seasons, then saw the light

Quote Originally Posted by DropCliffsNotBombs View Post
    I hear that it's super-steezy to wear your goggles under your helmet too. Which also makes no sense.
    I've been wearing my goggles that way for years. That way I can take off my helmet and still have my hat and goggles on. No readjusting goggles if I don't want my helmet on for whatever reason. Better hearing without the bulky ear pad things. I find it much more comfortable as well.

I sometimes wear my beacon in the harness, sometimes I stick it in my pocket. If I strip to base layers, it's in my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    do you really want to have your beacon in a cargo pocket or other pants pocket below your waist? Do you really want it that exposed, even if you're not separated from it?
    Intuitively, right under your ribs is an ideal spot to protect it.
    Zippered front (crotch) pocket (or in bibs) is what is is widely recommended as safe alternative to using harness.... by manufacturers, avalanche education orgs, guiding orgs.... etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

It looks like Julien Lopez utilizes the beacon in the pants pocket method. Check out the beacon check at ~0:50.