It was a good run MFD...

Shucks...

Al alloy fatigue happens. Pretty obvious stress riser

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Al alloy fatigue happens. Pretty obvious stress riser
    Possible from just hard skiing? Cliff hucking? Firm bumps here and there?

I treated these things like royalty and whenever I traveled always made sure there were no defects post-airline handling.

Quote Originally Posted by BP Pow View Post
    Possible from just hard skiing? Cliff hucking? Firm bumps here and there?
    Quite possibly none of the above. Looking at the location of the fatigue cracks I would guess they developed during use in touring mode. The sudden change in thickness at the interface of the binding and the MFD plate forms a stress concentration. Striding in touring mode cycles the Al alloy in the stress concentration zone, it work hardens, becomes less ductile, and develops fatigue cracks.
    Last edited by Big Steve; 01-30-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quite possibly none of the above. Looking at the location of the fatigue cracks I would guess they developed during use in touring mode. The sudden change in thickness at the interface of the binding and the MFD plate forms a stress concentration. Striding in touring mode cycles the Al alloy in the stress concentration zone, it work hardens, becomes less ductile, and develops fatigue cracks.
    Very interesting. And disappointing. Was really hoping for a bomber product that shined in ways other, less burly touring setups did not. I was resistant to the Duke/Guardian model but I may just give in.

Quote Originally Posted by BP Pow View Post
    other, less burly
    Funneh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I've got a set that work with Rossi Axial binders if you want.... I'll sell em cheap.

"Very interesting. And disappointing. Was really hoping for a bomber product that shined in ways other, less burly touring setups did not. I was resistant to the Duke/Guardian model but I may just give in."

CAST
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

On top of breaking your MFD plate, it appears that you are missing your (white) AFD pad on the toe piece in the picture.
    It's a crucial part of your binding... if you like to release...
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

Duke has a lot more metal in it than the STH12/14 you've got there, which only has a metal heel track and strap around the heel housing.

STH16 Steel + CAST if you want burly.

1st & 2nd gen Spark Ignition splitboard bindings suffered the same fate. Was equally disappointed when mine gave up.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

I have an alternate theory for breakage. I've got a set and they actually bottom out on the topsheet. Wood skis tend to have more thickness tapering from mid-ski to the tips and tails. On the long mount pattern of these things, it actually is like a lowered civic stuck on a speed bump, and the stiffness of the plate starts to lift the tail of the ski up.

Anyways, I always wondered how the binding liked being flexed open like that. All it's reinforcements contend with compression force from the ski flexing up. In a normal, uncompressed situation (or in between each turn) the ski is actually trying to break the thing's back.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/?ACT=65&...8&temp_dir=yes

Sucks for you. I hope to replace mine with something different in the not so distant future. Your pic might move it up the priority list.

Bp pow, just sent you a pm.

nickel, are you saying the ends of the MFD plate bow downward? That could contribute to a failure like OPs.

nickel, are you saying the ends of the MFD plate bow downward? That could contribute to a failure like OPs.
    It's a bit of column a, and a bit of ski deformation. Best way I can describe it is middle of plate bottom's out on ski topsheet. When you latch the heel down, it pulls up on the tail of the ski, basically decambering it. This means the ski is pulling down on the plate too, like in the backbreaker. I'd see it putting stress exactly where the OP had his failure.

BP Pow, if you are going to throw it out can I buy the components from you? I have the Rossignol/Fks setup with MFD's and lost (not enough loctite....) one of the bolts/nuts/plastic pieces from the front pivots. I tried to get hold of MFD but as they are out of business they aren't responding for even the small components. Let me know if I can pay you for the pieces.

You're looking for the hardware store.

FYI: Big Sky Sports in the Mountain Mall at Big Sky has like 4 pairs of MFD's that they have marked way down. $80 I think. Not sure which models.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    FYI: Big Sky Sports in the Mountain Mall at Big Sky has like 4 pairs of MFD's that they have marked way down. $80 I think. Not sure which models.
    It might be the worst 80 bucks you ever spent!

I am betting there are lots of heavily discounted MFD's sitting around in shops but if you really want to go burly invest your money in the CAST

I haven't tried them but I am betting the MFD are HEAVY especialy when you add alpine bindings and boots which have no walk mode and ergonomically the pivot is WAY out front, but when MFD 1st came out I thot this product would be good for getting that guy at the hill with an alpine setup & no money out hiking around until they could buy real touring gear?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know