Nordica NRGY 100 review a potential OSQ

31 years old
    180lb
    5'9
    I can turn left and right most places, with a penchant for woods/bumps

current quiver

177cm Nordica Soul Rider (skied out wood, bumps, soft groomers)
    180cm Blizzard Brahma (Groomer short turn/medium really icey off piste)
    185cm Nordica NRGY 100 (long groomer turns, crud busting, light powder days, mixxed condtion)
    185cm Nordica Patron(inbound woods, powder ski when a lot of hardpack is involved to get to it. )
    186m Rossi Sickle(rock ski/touring skiing probably on its way out...)
    186cm 4frnt Renegade(powder, powder touring, wind crust, heavy/mank)
    192cm Rossi WC GS ski(ice and going fast)
    195cm PM Gear Super Bro(going fast, easier going than the GS skis on variable groomer, best long turn groomer ski ever IMO)

Ski being review 2014-2015 185cm Nordica NRGY 100s mounted at the line.
    185(actually measure at 185cm as well)
    136-100-120 21.5m sidecut
    round flex Medium though out.

I got these earlier this year and they have been been in basically every condition imaginable.

I got these as a go to ski for most day. A ski I could grab and take to teach lesson with and ski some woods in my down time. so far it has not disappointed. I wanted a mini El Capo more suited for Stowe and IMO I got that. I also can not help but think this would be a great touring ski as well.

Groomers - really sweet round GS turner when layed up on edge. has a lower speed limit than say a 187 Bonafide or 184 mantra but its not much lower, higher than say Salomon Rocker 100. Does not mind being stivoted into a turn holds on edge on anything. does steery short turns as well, grip and give you pop at the end if you want it but its it not over bearing. Is great on skied off end of day eastern groomers. The only day this ski dissappointed was on a death cookie day where the combination of fairly large and soft shovel was causing the ski to fold, this ski is realativity soft though and was pretty much expected(maybe the new Enforcer will do better on that).

Bumps - the skis round flex and relative lack of sidecut make it a very pleasant and eager bump ski. edge grip is good and the ski does not mind either pivot slamming or taking a rounder line. Long enough that bridging or GS turning though bump fields is doable but not 193cm El capo do able.

Crud - with the exception of that for mentioned death cookie day, this ski does really well in mixxed condtion. It accepted you input but never really does it own thing which in crud is a really good thing. Surprising good blast though crud of all type despite is softer flex. In slush, tracked powder, almost bumps, dust on crust this ski is intuvative and really just does what you ask of it despite not being a "power" house

Powder - again surprising good and floaty for a 100mm ski. Compared to my Renegades or Patron this ski is a ton easier and more fun skiing on marginal powder days. Id go so far to say that in really heavy powder its actually better than the Patron because the ski does not fold in half and feel like it going to take you across the hill when you do not want to(the worst thing about the patron) it maybe not be the best choice in powder but the nice thing is due the early taper it handle powder fairly well and handle weird 3d snow better than the patron. GS turning and skimming on top in open places, or just bouncy short turn in the tree this skis huge sweet spot just make it easy.

Tree - from 12 inch to no inches this ski does really well for a fairly long ski. The nice thing about the extra length is that it bridge smaller holes with out sinking into them. It nimble enough as long you can charge the fall line and in most mixxed condition tree days I would rather have this than anything else I own. On lighter powder days the Patron would get the nod, and in really skied out trees especially while skiing with slower people the short 177cm Soul Riders would get it.

Touring- not mounted with a touring binding but due to its fairly light weight good edge grip for say corn skiing and enough float for most powder I would look into this if you are looking for a touring quiver of one especially a ski that may see some inbounds use.

bottomline - a large sweet spot, and moderate sidecut combine to form one of the better 100m skis out there. If you are someone who prefer a ski to what you tell it, instead of what it tell the NRGY 100 is worth looking at.

Hey lets not turn this place into Epic. If its not an indie ski with a custom flex and graphic mounted at -2 from the line very few people will be interested.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Hey lets not turn this place into Epic. If its not an indie ski with a custom flex and graphic mounted at -2 from the line very few people will be interested.
    Yep. Meanwhile, makes me interested in the 107 version coming next season. Oh, and for those not afraid of cooties, growing # of SIA pics over at Epic: http://www.epicski.com/t/132197/2015...from-the-floor

So I had the Patron, had to mount it at -4cm for it even to work for me (I'm a Volkl-head who like rear mounts ;-) ). I found the tail on it to be borderline useless and even annoying because when you wanted to use it, it would just fold, store energy and then rocket you some random direction when it felt like it. What's the Nrgy tail like, any better? Fwiw I loved the old Blower and Girish.
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo

Quote Originally Posted by ulty_guy View Post
    So I had the Patron, had to mount it at -4cm for it even to work for me (I'm a Volkl-head who like rear mounts ;-) ). I found the tail on it to be borderline useless and even annoying because when you wanted to use it, it would just fold, store energy and then rocket you some random direction when it felt like it. What's the Nrgy tail like, any better? Fwiw I loved the old Blower and Girish.
    better for sure.......I hate my patrons unless I am in powder, skiing PERFECT groomers o high edge angle, or skiing skied trees and bumps really slowly. I am mounted +1 on the classic line(-3 of the freestyle line) and for most eastern tree skiing they IMO are great. I was entirely underwhelmed by them out at Snowbird with the exception of skiing tighter tree out west. The NRGY is better in heavier and or weird powder than the patron due to it longer running lenght both in measurable lenght(NRGY = 185, Patron = 182) and the fact the rocker is much lower and shorter than the patron.

I do think with the patron would totally hate a rear ward mount due to huge tail rocker and softer tip and tail.

The closest to the old Blower and Girish right not would be the EL capo which is the same shape as the NRGY with 2 sheet of metal an widen to 107mm. The new Enforcer should fit the bill as well. IMO the NRGY splits the difference between skis like the Patron and skis like the Girish and Blower in the power/finesse scale.

Hey my last review was the 4frnt Renegade

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ive?highlight=

a 122mm hand made stiff as fuck ski for northern vermont. How indie is that. Heck I even mounted them back from the line.....

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Yep. Meanwhile, makes me interested in the 107 version coming next season. Oh, and for those not afraid of cooties, growing # of SIA pics over at Epic: http://www.epicski.com/t/132197/2015...from-the-floor
    the 107 should be better ski for an eastern skier over the capo. I have skied and it really does not give up much edge grip to the Capo but does lose some stability in crud(did not get into to powder) . The 100mm NRGY is better powder ski than the 107mm El capo so how about them apples?

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Hey my last review was the 4frnt Renegade

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ive?highlight=

a 122mm hand made stiff as fuck ski for northern vermont. How indie is that. Heck I even mounted them back from the line.....
    I rest my case...only a knucklehead would buy Rens for VT. In a sea of 1 dimensional pow skis, it would be Poseidon, or his son.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

With regards to Beyond, that epicski posting has a link to the new ON3P catalog. I think it's the # 98 post.

I'm loving the NRGY 100 as well. My everyday ski for the last few years is a 185cm Girish, an I have the 193 El Capo. I bought the 177cm NRGY 100 as an easier ski and for harder snow or any time I wanted to turn more. It has done its job perfectly. Solid edge grip, easy to pivot, good in bumps. I like flat tails and was a little concerned with the taper and rocker on the tail, but I haven't had any problems and they feel solid. They even floated well through 10" of fresh. I really like the general shape of the NRGY/El Capo design. I have the NRGY 107 in mind for my backcountry rig.

I rest my case...only a knucklehead would buy Rens for VT. In a sea of 1 dimensional pow skis, it would be Poseidon, or his son.
    It honestly have given me a dozen of the most fun runs of my life this year. It has touring binding on it, so I can take to place that it works really well. absolutely destroys wind slab, and crust which we get often here in the notch.

this run was lots of wind slab on top of lighter snow(this happens a ton in the notch) this ski is quick and nimble and but just blast though that shit far better than anything else I have owned beside I already have patron for days that I need to ski hardpack to get to powder and that ski SUCK in wind slab,crust, or heavy snow.

It hard to see what the snow is like but basically thick breakable wind slab 4-6 inches thick on top of another light 6 inches think pineapple upside down cake. I am a knucklehead though so you may have a point.

It's ok BushWack, we know you're core ;-)

Thanks for the perspective
    'waxman is correct, and so far with 40+ days of tasting them there is no way my tongue can tell the difference between wood, and plastic made to taste like wood...but i'm a weirdo and lick my gear...' -kidwoo