Take 2 on the ACL....

Fuck this shit...

Just got MRI back, complete rupture of my ACL allograft from 2005 surgery. Meeting with surgeon on Tuesday to go over timing for surgery...

Who's done the same ACL twice? What was your experience? Going to go with allograft again as I can't fathom a patella graph.

Today sucks, probably the most bummed out I've been in years....

Had three total, 2x on the right. Total and increasingly disheartening bummer effect each time. My first was in '83 and that one got done again in '99 so the science was pretty different than your dealing with. Had patellar grafts left and right, now I have patellar tendonitis in both. Not pleasant.

I've lost count how many hundreds of ski and bike days I've put on them since the last trip to the OR.

Do your time and it'll be behind you, again.

Boomer28 - any updates you can share? awaiting MRI results that will almost assuredly confirm my second tear of my right ACL, first was repaired just last January (2014) with hammy autograft. Also not stoked about a patellar graft considering horror stories of many friends who now have issues.

Quote Originally Posted by gnargnarshredski View Post
    Boomer28 - any updates you can share? awaiting MRI results that will almost assuredly confirm my second tear of my right ACL, first was repaired just last January (2014) with hammy autograft. Also not stoked about a patellar graft considering horror stories of many friends who now have issues.
    Yes actually: had 5 month checkup with surgeon last week and he says I'm looking as good as can be hoped for at this point. ROM is pretty much 100% and swelling is hardly an issue, which is funny because 10 years ago I remember it being worse. Key this time has been I really hit PT hard for the first two months (3-4x/week) and got on my own gym routine for another 3x/week on average since then. I've already dropped the 15lbs I gained post injury in January and am eating away at some more right now...

I too was nervous about the Patella graft but I did a lot of research and talked extensively with my Dr. who said it was the best option for me and I'm inclined to trust him as he's the on who did Tom Brady's knee and all of Kobe's surgeries...At this point I can actually kneel for a bit on harder surfaces but yea it hurts after a bit. The numbness is pretty much a 3"x5" oval more towards the right of my knee as they used the old incision scar to the left for the main cut. It's gotten better slowly but will probably be there for ever to some degree but that really doesn't bother me much.

I've been hammering the bike, leg presses and very low load leg curls the past month and the VMO is finally making an appearance! I'd say I'm about 25% strength right now but improving fast. Big next step is a slow jog to get some "impact" training in and from there will move to bosa ball stuff and low box jumps in the next 2 months.

How

This really sucks, sorry you have to go through again. Did it happen the same way? No contact?